Worst Used Cars - C&R

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
I love some of the use of language, re: the convertible top. The latch is "annoying"? It works 100% of the time, it takes < 3s to secure/release (the latch itself) - it may not be as _convenient_ as a fully automated latch that would allow for remote top operation, but it's not annoying unless it goes wooOOooOOOooooo while you're driving around :lol:
its much easier and quicker than on the S197, you had to stretch over to the passenger side door to latch and latch one side
Sponsored

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
OK. I have to vent about this.

I realize that these days, we're allowed to "select our own facts" and believe whatever we want... but in the end, what the hell is the point?
You might as well shut off your Wifi or unplug your router if you can't handle information that disagrees with your worldview.

IMO, it's perfectly ok to look at their criteria and find that they don't matter to us...but to say that the whole publication (one of the most respected in the industry whether you like it or not), is worthless is just a bad idea.
These reviews DO matter. If nothing else, it affects resale value. You might be able to sleep better by calling it a conspiracy but you'd be setting yourself up for disappointment.
The problem is that CR has taken money to rate cars favorably. That right there makes the publication worthless, regardless of whether they get some things right or not. Unless more people call out the BS, they will continue to be a publication with a lot of industry weight that may or may not drive invalid perceptions of certain makes/models.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Forget about CR. You know more about your car than they ever will. With that being said…

You may disagree with the opinion of Consumer Reports. However, you have to admit that there are a multitude of different issues with our cars that have yet to be resolved. Most of them could have and should have been worked out prior to the cars leaving the factory. If you spend a couple of hours going through the "Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls" section of this forum you will find a multitude of different Mustang issues as most of you are aware of. MY major beef is the wheel hop and this was my major motivation for writing the post.

1. Driveshaft vibration from 50 to 70 miles an hour is completely unacceptable, and as we have learned can be dangerous. This is not limited to a FMY issue either. On this site- 79% of owners who responded to that poll had some driveline vibration issues.
2. Misaligned body panels
3. Air conditioning evaporator defect
4. We ranted and raved about having an independent IRS for the S550. Fu***** yay. Meanwhile the wheel hop on this car is completely ridiculous. It's akin to a grown adult having a grand mal seizure every time I try to launch. I just came out of a 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE so perhaps I am a little bit jaded, but not being able to hook up off the line on a car that is meant for performance is utterly absurd. The "Stop the Hop" packages from both BMR and Steeda should have been stock from the factory- especially for the performance package. And to be told that the cradle lockout kit "might not solve the wheel hop" is discouraging to say the least. I cannot even imagine driving a 550 without the performance package ( with all due respect).
5. Factory paint defects. Again, I have never heard of this with any other car that has been manufactured on such a large scale basis as this car.
6. This is my 27th car in my life and I have had my fair share of problems throughout the years. I just did not expect to have this many problems with a nearly brand new car. You also have to admit that the resale really does suck. The sticker on my car was 42,000 and I paid 28,000 for it with 8000 miles on it. I can't complain about that and overall I think it is a great car. This is my sixth mustang- I had a 90, 91, 92, 96 and 2012. I will likely find myself in another Mustang in the future, however, I will be doing a little bit more research next time. On the brighter side I have a much grater understanding of the Lemon Law and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Let the bashing begin.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"- Evelyn Beatrice Haall

Problem is not everyone has issues, or ones they cannot live with/minor (EVERY car has issues). And even then you are only talking about maybe 250 people with legit issues out of 22,000 car nut members here inspecting every inch.

It's also more like 45% of people voted driveline vibration, nowhere near 80%. http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15990

And then that is on top of the other 200k units sold since 2015. If you had to do percentages the people with issues are a VERY small percentage of the total S550s sold.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
The only reliability issues I've heard about are with the Ecoboost. It's possible I've missed something, but I thought the GT was pretty solid.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
The only reliability issues I've heard about are with the Ecoboost. It's possible I've missed something, but I thought the GT was pretty solid.
You are missing something, common sense.

Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are missing something, common sense.
Lol, GOTTEM. If you'd like to try again and actually contribute something of value to the discussion this time, I'm all ears.

I'm referring to all the engines blowing up that I've heard about with ecoboosts. That's a serious "reliability issue". Other than that, I've mostly heard of the kinds of minor issues that almost always come up with brand new redesigns. Almost literally ever car has recalls and intermittent issues. And personally, I haven't experienced any of them (door latch issue notwithstanding, along with the occasional infotainment bug... *knock on wood*), not that anecdotal evidence is worth jack.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
The problem is that CR has taken money to rate cars favorably. That right there makes the publication worthless, regardless of whether they get some things right or not. Unless more people call out the BS, they will continue to be a publication with a lot of industry weight that may or may not drive invalid perceptions of certain makes/models.
Well if that's true, you have a point...but do we think that's what is happening here? Would you mind sharing a link? I found a few questionable web sites talking about this but nothing reputable.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Consumer Reports best and worst used cars issue just showed up.

On the list of 'worst' used cars: 2015 / 2016 Mustang.

The article says "These vehicles have records of much worse than average reliability, based on subscriber responses to our annual auto survey".

Don't shoot the messenger. I own a Mustang.

Shame.

FYI.
The 5.0 is mechanically bullet proof, however for the manual tranny, the clutch noise, thud noise, nvh from the shifter, on top of it, body panel issues, break squeel, and iterior rattles, pretty much caused this conclusion! For Ford its normal but not for the consumers, especially if you are spending 40+ grand on the car. They must have alot of complains.

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
This is the site I was looking for. I checked this out before I bought my Mustang. Because although some brands claim better reliability than others, in reality different models are wildly different. Mustang tops industry average (Which is 50) at 62 which is close to a Toyota RAV4 (64) and same as a Honda Accord (62).

So it is better than average. Other models in Fords lineup like the focus don't do so well... gets 11

http://www.dashboard-light.com/reports/Ford.html

pkf3432150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Mustang Reliability

I purchased a 2015 Ecoboost Premium in October 2014. It now has nearly 30,000 miles on it and I have no problems at all. My only expense has been for fuel and routine maintenance.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sl13cobra

Sl13cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
It's also interesting that predicted reliability is down, yet customer satisfaction is up.

That seems like a contradiction.

People who drive performance variants of the Mustang, e.g., the GT, GT350, etc. are more interested in the performance and thrill than they are little nit-noid things.

However, oil cooler hoses turning into flame throwers is not nit-noid. Ford seems to not be handling that too terribly well (GT350)

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Lol, GOTTEM. If you'd like to try again and actually contribute something of value to the discussion this time, I'm all ears.

I'm referring to all the engines blowing up that I've heard about with ecoboosts. That's a serious "reliability issue". Other than that, I've mostly heard of the kinds of minor issues that almost always come up with brand new redesigns. Almost literally ever car has recalls and intermittent issues. And personally, I haven't experienced any of them (door latch issue notwithstanding, along with the occasional infotainment bug... *knock on wood*), not that anecdotal evidence is worth jack.
What you perceive as reliablity issues with modified engines and the criteria used by CR to rate the Mustang are not related and obviously to complicated for you to understand.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What you perceive as reliablity issues with modified engines and the criteria used by CR to rate the Mustang are not related and obviously to complicated for you to understand.
I apologize for whatever I said that made you catch feelings. I didn't realize this was such a sensitive subject for some people. I only hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me.

To the topic at hand, those issues, from my understanding, were not limited to modified ecoboosts. I'm pretty sure I've seen a handful of people on this forum mention blown ecoboosts that were stock.

Anyways, I'm not doubting that CR is getting their data from somewhere. From what I can tell, they are a pretty reliable source of certain information. But unless someone can point me to exactly what that data is and what problems they're referring to (maybe they said in their write-up on the Mustang?), I can only speculate. You seem to be doing the same.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Clearly the majority of the engine related reliability issues are the Ecoboost. Even without the over abundance of threads about issues/booms, it's just common sense that the turbo 4 is not going to be the most reliable in the lineup. Then the fact that ppl love to modify them makes it even worse.

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I think they threw in the ecoboom with the GT
Sponsored