Sponsored

Worst Used Cars - C&R

Sl13cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
Consumer Reports best and worst used cars issue just showed up.

On the list of 'worst' used cars: 2015 / 2016 Mustang.

The article says "These vehicles have records of much worse than average reliability, based on subscriber responses to our annual auto survey".

Don't shoot the messenger. I own a Mustang.

Shame.

FYI.
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Interesting.

essque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
2rx7hfn.jpg

34ss8io.jpg

Wow. Is this publication the real deal or are they financed by companies who pay them for better reviews? My mustangs have always been bulletproof. My first one, a 2000 gt got totaled in a brutal highway accident and when I went to the junkyard to get the sound system out, the guys that worked there were doing donuts in the car around the parking lot. My previous one, an '11 GT clocked 80k plus miles and never had to go to the dealership once. I expect the same with my '15.

So what's going on here exactly? I know the original sync system is awful but besides that what could be pulling these ratings down so low? And how can a car that can withstand 300 additional horses via supercharger and still run like a champ be deemed so unreliable? I'm at a loss.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

They should've done a separate polling for 2015 and 2016. 2015 had a lot more engines go boom. 2016 was pretty solid.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
It's funny one of the positives they mention, is a common complaint point (the shifter in the manual) :D

Yeah, the back seats are tight, it's a freakin' coupe. It also won't haul a refrigerator and it doesn't get 40MPG ...

I love some of the use of language, re: the convertible top. The latch is "annoying"? It works 100% of the time, it takes < 3s to secure/release (the latch itself) - it may not be as _convenient_ as a fully automated latch that would allow for remote top operation, but it's not annoying unless it goes wooOOooOOOooooo while you're driving around :lol:

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Makes me think about how they generally always rate Jeep Wranglers low. Leaky tops, not the most comfortable ride, noisy. People that buy them love them and know all these things going in. Same with the Mustang, no s#!t it has a cramped back seat! Who knew?

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
I wouldn't trust CR for any car review. They pass or fail a car based on their infotainment systems alone.
Agreed - I had an '87 GT and remember looking it up in a friends CR. They gave the GT lower marks for paint than the LX...and they came of the SAME line. Could it be that GT owners had higher expectations for a more expensive car? But CR does not take that into account. Their consumer based ratings are pretty worthless, like any review on the Internet...the haters comment and the lovers stay silent.

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
CR is simply one of many resources available. Most everyone rates VW's fairly low, in terms or reliability but I just sold-back a 2011 Golf TDI, due to the dieselgate recall, and really hated to see the car go. Gave us zero issues in 47K miles. I liked it so much I bought the wife a '17 Golf (gas version) with the buy-back money.....VW's are great driving cars but get horrible reliability reviews.....I've owned 4 and they've all been as reliable as Toyotas, for me.....go figure??

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
I don't trust CR for any reviews, but most of all car reviews. Honestly the biggest hit to a Mustang's resale value is how common they are and how many are sold every year. But it's fine with me. I'm not selling mine hopefully ever, so CR's opinion on the matter is not relevant to me.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
CR is simply one of may resources available. Most everyone rates VW's fairly low, in terms or reliability but I just sold-back a 2011 Golf TDI, due to the dieselgate recall, and really hated to see the car go. Gave us zero issues in 47K miles. I liked it so much I bought the wife a '17 Golf (gas version) with the buy-back money.....VW's are great driving cars but get horrible reliability reviews.....I've owned 4 and they've all been as reliable as Toyotas, for me.....go figure??
Have a '11 Tiguan in the fleet that has been an anvil for 67K miles, and still rattle-free to boot. I'd own another.

CR hates Jeep Wranglers, but just doesn't understand them. I love mine despite the typical Chrysler quality.

Not a surprise that they think as the do about the Mustang. About the only product I take CR's reviews seriously on are appliances and the like, certainly not automobiles.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Maybe the reliability is bad due to all of the modding of the cars! ;-0

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Consumers Report

These guys base their opinions on the best cars out there so when they compare a $40K Mustang they start with the features found on the $100K European cars. If the Mustang doesn't have the hands free vert features then it's behind the times. Also they look at a car that sells 4000 in a year and compares the quality to a car that has 200K built and sold in a year.

Their ratings aren't of much value in that respect, and just like pollsters found out in the last election if the people you get replies from are biased one way or the other your results are crap. :ford:

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I used to sub to CR but stopped after it became obvious that many of their reviews were just pulled right out of their a$$. For me specificially it was a series of appliances over a few year period - vacuum cleaner, fridge, washing machine that I bought on their recommendation and all turned out to be crap. Searching online found many other people with same issues.

For cars you have to wonder what their sample set is - probably for Accords and Camrys, I bet CR has a pretty good handle on quality of those cars, but how many subscribers to CR do you think have a mustang GT, Corvette, Nissan GTR, etc?
Sponsored