Sponsored

Winter wheels

Aldra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Iconic Silver
Hi, I have looked though the forums but it's a lot to take in and I havent seen a for sure answer.

I am buying a 2020 Premium pp1, I will be driving it in the winter and will be buying a set of winter wheels and tires. I think I will convert it to a square setup, unless there is some mechanical reason not to.

I'm considering asking the dealer for an at cost set of OEM 19x9 or 19x8.5 wheels. Will any or all of them fit over the bigger pp1 brakes?

If there is a commonly used less expensive wheel and or tire option could anyone point them out?

Al
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aldra

Aldra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, budget is good, but I wont be driving it overly hard or hopefully in any serious weather often, unless my other vehicle is in use. So I dont really need a performance setup for winter. I was thinking of going narrower, so no wider than the front tire width, perhaps narrower. Maybe something like a 235/40/19 on an 8.5, I'm bit nervous about buying an aftermarket wheel online getting it delivered and finding it doesnt fit. I'm learning about this as I go.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I put snow tires on my factory rims. For summer tires, I shopped around for lightweight cool-looking aftermarket rims. I'm glad I went that direction.

49035635073_98c2bbb1b5_b.jpg

48949280608_522bc65099_b.jpg

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The 18s with the 235 width tires are the best option for a winter set. The thinner a winter wheel the better their cut into the snow. A set of Blizzak WS90 is also much cheaper in that size. People try to practically give them away in the classifieds all the time.

OP
OP
Aldra

Aldra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But which 18's fit over the pp1 brakes, I thought the 19 was basically a must.

OP
OP
Aldra

Aldra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you're talking about snow, then yes it's better to run a bit narrower. I have 285 square on the summers, and 255 square on the winters.
Yes, its snow traction I'm concerned about, we can get a lot of snow here, I have another vehicle that will probably get me through 90% of the time, but on occasion I may have to drive in the snow. So I'm looking for a rim that will fit over the brakes but might be a little narrower, particularly than the rears. So maybe the 19x9 or even an 8.5, I was hoping that someone knew of an inexpensive option that just works, to simplify my decision. I could simply just spend the money on the wider tire for the rear, on say the Michelin alpin, but as good as they might be I'm not sure they or something else wouldnt be better if they were a little narrower.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
I have 255 Blizzaks on 19x8.5 rims and they've worked pretty well in real Canadian snow and ice. As long as you don't do anything stupid, you should be fine. Traction control works well at driving speed, but if you get stuck you'll want to turn it off to get out of the driveway or snowbank.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Aldra

Aldra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have 255 Blizzaks on 19x8.5 rims and they've worked pretty well in real Canadian snow and ice. As long as you don't do anything stupid, you should be fine. Traction control works well at driving speed, but if you get stuck you'll want to turn it off to get out of the driveway or snowbank.

Thanks, are those the oem 19x8.5 from the EcoBoost?

As an aside I still dont have the car and I'm still waiting to hear when it will arrive at the dealer, it's a dealer trade, its honestly been a bit of an ordeal to get to this point and its causing me stress. Considering the winter issues I might have I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it.

OP
OP
Aldra

Aldra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's totally worth it. The car also isn't harder to handle in the snow than any other. Don't drive like an idiot, and get good tires. You're already working on the tires. No one here can help you with the first one :crackup:
O I know, I'm generally not an idiot...generally.

I've been driving trucks with all seasons, and not even nesescarily good ones, and no weight in the box for a long time, and while they dont rotate as quickly as I imagine the car will, I'm no stranger to over steer. It's more that the dealings I've been having in an effort to buy the car in combination with the other factors is giving me doubts.

For example, I wont be backing up through a two foot windrow at the end of my driveway in a mustang. But if not for the huge pita this has generally been I could more easily get over that.

OP
OP
Aldra

Aldra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup, gotta break out the shovels and snowblower for big piles. When it comes down to it, you won't be able to say 'no' when you see her face. Hang tight and everything will be great.
You're probably right.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, are those the oem 19x8.5 from the EcoBoost?
Yes. They were black when I bought the car, but I didn't like the look and sprayed them with Rustoleum silver wheel paint. It's a heavy wheel, but that doesn't bother me in the winter.

OP
OP
Aldra

Aldra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes. They were black when I bought the car, but I didn't like the look and sprayed them with Rustoleum silver wheel paint. It's a heavy wheel, but that doesn't bother me in the winter.
Ok, thanks for that.
Sponsored