Winter Wheels and Tires

Spartan_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT/PP M/T
I have a 2015 GT PP, and I run MRR M350s, but will need to go back to my PP wheels for winter, I was wondering what the smallest tires I could fit on the PP wheels for winter?

Stock: 255/40 Front (8.5" Wheel), 275/40 Rear (9.5" Wheel)

Would it be better for me to get a new set of 19" wheels that are skinnier so I don't have to get such wide winter tires?

I would rather be able to use my PP wheels cause I already have them and I also like the wheels, but if it makes more sense to get a new set, I'd rather do what's best.
Sponsored

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
I have a 2015 GT PP, and I run MRR M350s, but will need to go back to my PP wheels for winter, I was wondering what the smallest tires I could fit on the PP wheels for winter?

Stock: 255/40 Front (8.5" Wheel), 275/40 Rear (9.5" Wheel)

Would it be better for me to get a new set of 19" wheels that are skinnier so I don't have to get such wide winter tires?

I would rather be able to use my PP wheels cause I already have them and I also like the wheels, but if it makes more sense to get a new set, I'd rather do what's best.
Wrestling with the same decision - new rims/tires for snow and keep the summers or go AS on the stock rims. I plan on doing a bunch of Autocross next year so keeping the stock Pzeroes until they are dead is attractive to me.

OP
OP
Spartan_Stang

Spartan_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT/PP M/T
What winter tire would you recommend in that size @Need4SpeedMotors ?

I was looking at Yoko IceGuard

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I ran the Mich Xi3 last year and was absolutely pleased with those, light kansas city winter where we only got a ~3" (or less) a few times but I had no trouble at getting around on those. I bought a wheel/tire package, just bolt them on and go.

awmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
I run winter performance tires instead of studless ice and snow. By far I'm dealing with cold and possibly wet as I live and work in the city so the snow, when it falls, never gets that deep before the plows come. I've had Dunlop Winter Sports on my last 2 cars and there is a set waiting to go on my Mustang. You don't take nearly the hit in performance on cold dry roads as with a Blizzak or similar, but there's still plenty of traction for the snowy times.
This will be my first RWD on them, but I don't anticipate that will make much difference. (The stock Pirrelli's are already basically useless in the wet and I do just fine with them.)

OP
OP
Spartan_Stang

Spartan_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT/PP M/T
So it looks like the majority of the tires suggested aren't offered in 19"

I'm looking for 255/40/19 tires so I can put them on my OEM Performance Package wheels. I would move down to an 18" wheel but those options are incredibly rare due to the 6 piston Brembos from the PP.

Looks like some of the reviews for the Yoko Iceguard say that the wet/dry is not very good on these tires. I live in Chicago and we can get all different types of weather from snow, ice, rain and dry... Looks like I might be forced to go with the Blizzaks, or test out the Yokos and see how bad it really is. For the price I might take a risk with the Yokos, I bought my car in Feb, and drove the PZero Summers in Feb and March as long as there wasn't any snow and I did okay.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

I'm looking for 255/40/19 tires so I can put them on my OEM Performance Package wheels. I would move down to an 18" wheel but those options are incredibly rare due to the 6 piston Brembos from the PP.

Looks like some of the reviews for the Yoko Iceguard say that the wet/dry is not very good on these tires. I live in Chicago and we can get all different types of weather from snow, ice, rain and dry... Looks like I might be forced to go with the Blizzaks, or test out the Yokos and see how bad it really is. For the price I might take a risk with the Yokos, I bought my car in Feb, and drove the PZero Summers in Feb and March as long as there wasn't any snow and I did okay.
Blizzaks are great. The Michelin Xi3 and PA4 also work extremely well.

Sponsored

awmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP

If you drove your car on the PZero's and were ok, perhaps you should look at a Winter Performance tire, instead of a Snow and Ice tire. I'm in Milwaukee so we get all sorts too but mostly its just dealing with cold. I really like the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D and 4D. Had them on my Mazda 3, Focus ST and just put a set on my Mustang. Others that have favorable test results from TireRack are Blizzack LM-32 and the Pirelli Winter SottoZero (Though Car and Driver were dissappointed with the Pirelli's)

OP
OP
Spartan_Stang

Spartan_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT/PP M/T
If you drove your car on the PZero's and were ok, perhaps you should look at a Winter Performance tire, instead of a Snow and Ice tire. I'm in Milwaukee so we get all sorts too but mostly its just dealing with cold. I really like the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D and 4D. Had them on my Mazda 3, Focus ST and just put a set on my Mustang. Others that have favorable test results from TireRack are Blizzack LM-32 and the Pirelli Winter SottoZero (Though Car and Driver were dissappointed with the Pirelli's)
Hmmm just looked at the Dunlops and I would either have to go 255/35/19 or 255/50/19, for winter tires I would usually say go with the thickness but will a 255/50/19 tire 1. fit on our cars and 2. will it look funny with such a thick tire?

The dunlops seem like a good option though, not as pricy as the Blizzacks, but still not as risky as the Iceguards.

awmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
Hmmm just looked at the Dunlops and I would either have to go 255/35/19 or 255/50/19, for winter tires I would usually say go with the thickness but will a 255/50/19 tire 1. fit on our cars and 2. will it look funny with such a thick tire?

The dunlops seem like a good option though, not as pricy as the Blizzacks, but still not as risky as the Iceguards.
I have the Ecoboost PP so I was able to go down to an 18 inch rim and got 235/50/18 Dunlops. Didn't check what 19 inch sizes they stocked them in.

255/50 is going to be really tall. 2 inches taller than your fronts. I would guess that's going to cause issues when you hit bumps and the suspension compresses.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator/255-40R19/255-50R19

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I just put on a set of 245/45/19 all season tires on the front of the PP wheels. It's a little bit narrower than OEM (which is preferred for snow/water traction) and a bit taller. There's no issues with fitment and doesn't look stretched at all.

yellow05gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic GT Premium
What do you guys think of the Goodyear Ultragrip 8? And I was looking at the 255/50/19s also. Any thoughts?
Sponsored