Sponsored

Winter Storage: Conflicting Opinions

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So, my GT has been in storage since mid-November (first spreading of salt on the roads here in Jersey) and hasn't moved out of the garage or even been started since.

Here's my dilemma. I've been doing a lot of research for years on the best approach to winter storage and 2 prevailing methods seem to be the norm. The problem is that these two methods are conflicting and I don't know which one to follow.

Method 1: (I have been using this method so far this year but in previous years have been doing method 2) Before storage, get a fresh oil change, fill the gas tank with a full tank of 93 octane and a bottle of Sta-bil, and put a trickle charger on the battery. don't start or move the car until winter is over and streets are completely clear of salt and snow and then get an oil change before use.

Method 2: (as per the owners manual and many online automotive sources)
- "Start the engine every 15 days for a minimum of 15 minutes. Run at fast idle with the climate controls set to defrost until the engine reaches normal operating temperature."
- "Move vehicle at least 25 ft every 15 days to lubricate working parts and prevent corrosion."
- "Change engine oil before vehicle is used again."

So which is it gentleman? I've seen both methods espoused by very reputable sources so it's very difficult to decide. In support of Method 2, the main argument I've seen is that not starting your vehicle periodically causes corrosion and rust to engine components because of condensation buildup due to the lack of oil coating engine components. Seems like a perfectly logical argument.

But I've also always heard that starting your motor and not driving it is harmful as well.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Sponsored

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
Ask yourself this: Do you think the Ford dealerships do any of these things can when they have a Mustang sitting on their lot for months in the winter time?
Of course not.

I just park my car for a few months and start it up once a month so the battery doesn't die. I had no issues ever.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Well I followed method 1 for the previous 6 years with my Camaro SS with no problems so I'm following the same method with the GT too. The only thing I don't do is change the oil again when I fire it back up as I see no need to drain new and clean oil. I do try to get the cars out if weather permits for a good run but no luck so far on that one. I figure these cars sit on lots for several months with a lot less care than we give them in either case. I don't think its good to start and idle them as condensation will get in the engine and exhaust etc. With regards to oil there will be a film on parts it doesn't all run off of them just because the car sits.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
My 19 is inside my garage that is attached to my house and its on race ramp flatstoppers, so it never gets too cold in there, I do try n start the car once a month. I havent started it in a couple weeks and got a notification on the ford app that my car is now in deep sleep mode and to wake it I have to manually start it, not remote start.... So thats a lil weird.

TrevorGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
race red 2015 GT
Been using a version of method 1 for 20+ years. No issues.
Currently have 3 sports cars sitting in the garage tucked under dust-top car covers with trickle chargers on them. They won’t see outside til mid April most likely.

Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
You can do even less than method 1. Just the fuel stabilizer and trickle charger is enough. The GT (terminator before that) sits all summer in FL while I get the heck out of here for hurricane season. Go to Maine and crank up the 66 vette that got the same treatment for the long cold winter. 6 years, not a single problem. I swear the batteries are better after some time on the trickle charger than when brand new.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
You can do even less than method 1. Just the fuel stabilizer and trickle charger is enough. The GT (terminator before that) sits all summer in FL while I get the heck out of here for hurricane season. Go to Maine and crank up the 66 vette that got the same treatment for the long cold winter. 6 years, not a single problem. I swear the batteries are better after some time on the trickle charger than when brand new.
I agree on the battery thing after 6 years my battery was still really strong & could have gone a couple more years no doubt. I only used a battery tender but I never had an issue.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Option 1 here but I have a mat under the stang to prevent moisture up through the garage cement.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I got 2 battery tender Jr's Sunday at Walmart for about $55.00. One for the Harley and one for the Mustang. Best thing for the battery when in storage.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I have a detached garage that is not heated and I just park it, hook up a trickle charger and throw a cover on it. Just make sure you give it a good wash before you cover it and keep the cover clean and don't let it hit the floor while your putting it on.

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
Option 1 here but I have a mat under the stang to prevent moisture up through the garage cement.
I do that too I have vinyl tarps under the car as concrete is very damp and corrosive. Good point forgot that one!

Echo4papa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
Just drive up I-4 and drop her off at my place. I'll start her up and run her around the block once a week until you get back.

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
charger, stabil, no flat ramps. thats my method, maybe if its warm one day ill go out and start them. as long as they are on the charger i have no issues.
mostly #1 but also combo of #2 too.
follow these and you will be fine. if it sits outside i would invest in a good car cover though and keep it tied down so wind doesn't blow it off

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
I've done Method 1 since 2001. Using it on muiltiple motorcycles, ATVs, Ski-doos in summer, 3 sports cars. No issues yet!

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
If you can move it around then that along with maybe some stabil will be good enough. I put a some thick floor rubber mats under each tires only because I have R rated tires. We have lots full of new and used cars just sitting around all winter with snow piled up on them up here that don't get driven at all and are just fine. Of course if you're keeping the car long term (10 plus years) and want it to be perfect as can be then baby the shit out of it. Otherwise don't get crazy
Sponsored