Winter Beater

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
A 2006 Forester just popped up. It looks to be in really good condition with 154k miles for 5750. The ad says they just replaced all the gaskets, timing kit, water pump and some other stuff. I'm not sure what model it is. It says X Sport Utility, but I don't think it has the turbo motor if that matters?
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
You'll want to skip the turbo Subies, longevity isn't their strong suit.

This thread just reminded me of my unlikely dream of finding a mint Jeep XJ 2-door with the 4.0 and manual trans....

As for other Jeeps, specifically Wranglers, I had great luck with my pair of TJs and not great luck with my two JKs. And here I am on the precipice of ordering a fifth, but debating waiting another year and trying (again) for a Bronco. I love 2-door Wranglers.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was originally looking for a Wrangler too, but quickly found out it's not very likely to find a nice one under 8k. What about a 06 Suzuki Sidekick? Not my first pick, but a solid, rust free one with a bunch of suspension upgrades, small lift and bigger wheels and includes winches on the front and back came up for 4.8k. That thing looks like it would be a tank in any weather condition.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You'll want to skip the turbo Subies, longevity isn't their strong suit.

This thread just reminded me of my unlikely dream of finding a mint Jeep XJ 2-door with the 4.0 and manual trans....

As for other Jeeps, specifically Wranglers, I had great luck with my pair of TJs and not great luck with my two JKs. And here I am on the precipice of ordering a fifth, but debating waiting another year and trying (again) for a Bronco. I love 2-door Wranglers.
They do exist, I remember seeing one on Ammo NYC's youtube channel a year or so back, it was rotting in a field and he detailed it up. I'd definitely do unspeakable things for one that's even in decent condition, lol.

As to OP, having lived in NW Ohio before, there really isn't shit worth looking at in the "beater" range. Michigan is even worse, people will tell you something is "rust free" just for it to have missing floor pans. Then the story changes to "that's just normal Michigan rust", lmao.

Suzuki anything is pretty good as a beater. It helps if you take your mindset off needing something that's 4WD though. FWD with snow tires is incredible in inclement weather, and often much cheaper. My Taurus is an absolute beast in the snow. Only hazards that can really get ya are stuffing it into a snow bank, or running out of ground clearance.

Also, as a final note, I don't recommend owning an actual beater if you can't fix it yourself. I understand that most people can't rebuild a transmission that goes out or advanced stuff like that, but if you aren't at least willing to wrench and change a wheel bearing here, an alternator there, etc, you'll quickly find you're spending more in maintenance than you would on your new car payment, lol. Shop prices are ABSURD these days. Things age out, no matter how well they're taken care of. Jeeps are especially terrible, once in a while you get a good one, but the odds are not in your favor.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear ya ice. Luckily my dad is good working on cars, but he is getting up there in age. I am finally getting a decent tool set. Just need a tool box yet. I missed out on several more since I posted last. Anything halfway decent sells quick. I'm thinking of looking at a 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland. Much newer with a 5.7L and stuff I'm used to now like remote start, rear camera and heated seats, but that thing is heavy AF and 20" wheels (should be ok with good tires though) and they want almost 11k for it which is about double what I wanted to spend. But then again may save me some headache and maint. costs in the long run.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I always thought a WRX would be fun, but around here they are waaaay overpriced.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I really wanted a WRX or EVO back in the day, but couldn't afford them then. Now I can, but they keep getting uglier and are now way underpowered IMO. I considered looking for a Legacy or Forester. I think I want to stay with an SUV or 4x4 pickup or even a Wrangler for my 2nd beater car though. Never owned anything but cars my whole life. I just noticed a 97 Land Rover Discovery with 180k miles for under 2k. It looks to be in good condition, but has to be something wrong with it for that price I would think.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yeah, I really wanted a WRX or EVO back in the day, but couldn't afford them then. Now I can, but they keep getting uglier and are now way underpowered IMO. I considered looking for a Legacy or Forester. I think I want to stay with an SUV or 4x4 pickup or even a Wrangler or my 2nd beater car though. Never owned anything but cars my whole life. I just noticed a 97 Land Rover Discovery with 180k miles for under 2k. It looks to be in good condition, but has to be something wrong with it for that price I would think.
What's wrong with it is that it's an old Land Rover lol, and a Disco at that. Defenders go for good money still.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, but the ad says its been garage kept most of its life. I really had my heart set on an older Cherokee Classic with the 4L though, but finding one without rust or that has been hacked up is a challenge. The more I think about it though, maybe something that old will be more trouble than its worth. Plus since my main reason to get one is for winter/bad weather driving, I'm thinking something with remote start and heated seats, ect. may be a better option.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The 11 GC would probably be a pretty good choice. $11k isn’t too unreasonable.

However, where are you primarily searching? Have you been using Craigslist, Offerup, Facebook Makretplace?

It’s hard to find a clean XJ, but they are great vehicles.

Just set your expectations that any older vehicle, but especially Jeep, will be a slow drain on the wallet.

The drivetrain in the XJ is absolutely stellar. Not from a power perspective (but it’s respectable) but the 4.0/aw4 are tremendously reliable and inexpensive.

The 5.7 Hemi in that Grand Cherokee and the 5 speed are good as well, just a lot less simple to work on and not quite as bulletproof.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Probably if anything breaks on the Rover it would cost big money. Therefore the car is cheap. You can get old Mercedes for cheap as well. Or at least you could in the past. I haven't checked recently.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What's wrong with it is that it's an old Land Rover lol, and a Disco at that. Defenders go for good money still.
This. Stay away. Lol.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Probably if anything breaks on the Rover it would cost big money. Therefore the car is cheap. You can get old Mercedes for cheap as well. Or at least you could in the past. I haven't checked recently.
Yeah I figured there was a catch as those were pretty expensive new.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 11 GC would probably be a pretty good choice. $11k isn’t too unreasonable.

However, where are you primarily searching? Have you been using Craigslist, Offerup, Facebook Makretplace?

It’s hard to find a clean XJ, but they are great vehicles.

Just set your expectations that any older vehicle, but especially Jeep, will be a slow drain on the wallet.

The drivetrain in the XJ is absolutely stellar. Not from a power perspective (but it’s respectable) but the 4.0/aw4 are tremendously reliable and inexpensive.

The 5.7 Hemi in that Grand Cherokee and the 5 speed are good as well, just a lot less simple to work on and not quite as bulletproof.
I think I found a better deal on one and its only about 45 miles away at a dealership. Its an 06 GC Limited with 112k miles for 8.5k. Its only got the 4.7 (still not bad I guess), but its loaded and I like the wood-like interior trim.

I have mostly been using FB Marketplace, but I think a private sale is going to be too complicated being single and not very easy to get schedules around to get somebody to go with me to drive it back, ect. I found a couple I want to look at on cars.com and look on cargurus and auto trader although it seems most of the cars are the same on all the sites.

Forgot to mention, I also found an 04 Laredo for 9k and it looks really nice with only 95k miles. I know a little older than the other one, but it has the more reliable 4L. The problem with that one is its 200 miles away in a big city. Their ad does say that they are "happy to facilitate out of state transactions" which sounds like delivery wouldn't be an issue. Even if I have to pay $400 or 500 it would be worth it for a good vehicle.

Last edited:

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I think I found a better deal on one and its only about 45 miles away at a dealership. Its an 06 GC Limited with 112k miles for 8.5k. Its only got the 4.7 (still not bad I guess), but its loaded and I like the wood-like interior trim.

I have mostly been using FB Marketplace, but I think a private sale is going to be too complicated being single and not very easy to get schedules around to get somebody to go with me to drive it back, ect. I found a couple I want to look at on cars.com and look on cargurus and auto trader although it seems most of the cars are the same on all the sites.

Forgot to mention, I also found an 04 Laredo for 9k and it looks really nice with only 95k miles. I know a little older than the other one, but it has the more reliable 4L. The problem with that one is its 200 miles away in a big city. Their ad does say that they are "happy to facilitate out of state transactions" which sounds like delivery wouldn't be an issue. Even if I have to pay $400 or 500 it would be worth it for a good vehicle.
I wouldn’t pay $9k for an 04 Grand Cherokee unless it was incredibly low mileage and optioned out.

The 06 may be the better deal but again, be careful with the 4.7. They are a hit and miss engine and don’t tend to age well. Not trying to say you’re going to get a busted one, but they tend to be leaky and are known to have weak valve stem seals (burning oil) and headgaskets are their strong suit. Make sure it’s not smoking out of the exhaust and check the coolant color and quality (make sure it’s not oily, murky etc). The 08+ 4.7 got a major overhaul and is the best version, if you can find one. The 06 will have 235hp and the 08+ has 300.
Sponsored