Window Tint and Radar Detectors

ajsfirehawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2023 EG M6 Mach 1 ordered. 12/1; Received 2/3
I realize radar is RF, but once you get to a window tint product like a 3M Crystalline that has 97% IR and UVa/b rejection with imbedded ceramic, can that affect the performance of a radar detector?
Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
If cell phone frequency band is any indication of Ka then metallic films yes, ceramic no. Also, assuming you are talking about coating the windshield?

OP
OP
ajsfirehawk

ajsfirehawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
Possibly but in large part it depends on the answer to this question. Heat rejection and eliminating the damage to the interior is the goal, so complete coverage would be better....if it doesn't cause other issues.

Brokestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
360 degree detector here. After passing a cop the performance is the same coming & going. My tint is not ceramic.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Possibly but in large part it depends on the answer to this question. Heat rejection and eliminating the damage to the interior is the goal, so complete coverage would be better....if it doesn't cause other issues.
I don't think you'll have anything to worry about with ceramic vs radar. There might be a problem with laser but I would guess that would also depend upon the tint level. Given laser is near visible light I would guess it would be similar performance but that would all be a guess.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ajsfirehawk

ajsfirehawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
Understand and agree, but laser is a different creature and the detector doesn't do much for you as it just notifies you "You just got a ticket". Unless you are in the more unlikely case where you pick up splatter reflected off of another target. I hold little hope for my radar detector helping me with laser and I'm not getting into the broadcasting laser counter measures. Thanks to all for your feedback!

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Understand and agree, but laser is a different creature and the detector doesn't do much for you as it just notifies you "You just got a ticket". Unless you are in the more unlikely case where you pick up splatter reflected off of another target. I hold little hope for my radar detector helping me with laser and I'm not getting into the broadcasting laser counter measures. Thanks to all for your feedback!
Agreed, just wanted to put it all out there. For what it's worth, I've never seen one of the laser countermeasures actually perform in the real world either. Mostly seems to be bragging rights and false security.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I realize radar is RF, but once you get to a window tint product like a 3M Crystalline that has 97% IR and UVa/b rejection with imbedded ceramic, can that affect the performance of a radar detector?
I get Nano Ceramic High IR refractive tint on 'ALL" of my windows and it is rated NOT to have any noticeable issues with cell phones, detectors signals etc.

OP
OP
ajsfirehawk

ajsfirehawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
I get Nano Ceramic High IR refractive tint on 'ALL" of my windows and it is rated NOT to have any noticeable issues with cell phones, detectors signals etc.
Nice, what product was used on your tint?