Sponsored

Why no side fender vents?

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
So why does the GT500 not have side fender vents? I believe they were there for reducing lift on GT350? correct me if I am wrong. So i have a few theories but maybe someone has a real explanation.

1. Simply not needed?
2. Composite makeup of fenders? support? molding issues?
3. To further differentiate the GT350 from GT500?

thoughts?

Aesthetically I think they really add to the GT350 and that they perform a function is bonus. I am all about not having stuff if not needed, but surely they could have used these for something....Maybe the huge vented hood takes care of everything.
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Because I value certain friendships I'll refrain from breaking any promises here. Suffice it to say you have hit the nail on the head with at least two of your hypothetical answers.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
They should have added bigger side vents. When you look at both side by side the GT500 just has a snake badge. Ford should have made it stand out a bit more from the side profile. Kind of like the new ZR1 vs the z06.
The side sill opening on the GT350 helped displace engine heat too. I guess the big ass opening in the GT500's hood took care of the heat, specially since its removable on a sunny day, perfect for the track (depending on how it will do on a track day).

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HMMMM.........??? What is the likely hood that a GT350 fender will bolt-up to the GT500, or even with slight modification bolt-up and work.....I know probably 0%

Ggradtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Are the 500 fenders unique? They seem somewhat wider, but maybe that's just what I'd "like" to see. If they are just the same as a GT, then Ford dropped the ball in this area. Why didn't Ford make a specific fender like the 350 Has? You can't say its about $ since the 350 has a unique design. They should have widened the fender by at least 2" or so.

Sponsored

A_Bau3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of them
Are the 500 fenders unique? They seem somewhat wider, but maybe that's just what I'd "like" to see. If they are just the same as a GT, then Ford dropped the ball in this area. Why didn't Ford make a specific fender like the 350 Has? You can't say its about $ since the 350 has a unique design. They should have widened the fender by at least 2" or so.
They are wider, those 305’s have some decent fender gap up front too, which personally I’m not a fan of. I also heard there was some disagreement on the fender vents a little while back.

JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 f150
They are wider yet.. the front fenders now line up with the rear. American muscle did an interview with the designer and it is another 20mm wider I believe 10 each side. Have to make room for the 20's which cover those monster brakes. I believe someone posted the video in one the the threads recently. That's why on the sides of the headlights the front bumper is actually a fair bit wider and the fenders lines up to it.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
HMMMM.........??? What is the likely hood that a GT350 fender will bolt-up to the GT500, or even with slight modification bolt-up and work.....I know probably 0%
GT500 front fenders are 10mm wider than the GT350 which are already 13MM wider than the stock S550.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
GT500 front fenders are 10mm wider than the GT350 which are already 13MM wider than the stock S550.
This. If you watch the video from American Muscle with the Team leader of the GT500, he goes into detail about the design choices and the fact that these fenders are quite a bit wider than the standard GT and the GT350

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So what was the disagreement on fender vents? Whats the scoop? I am curious.

Sponsored

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
The GT500 has spent more time in the wind tunnel than any Ford except the GT. they did save money and design time by not putting in the side vents which became unnecessary by virtue of the huge hood vent. And the hood vent itself is not "removable" the tray under the vent for diverting water is removable.

Reactions: _M_

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
^^^ viola, it's magic

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
Doesn't prove anything. The vent works better with the grill in place than it would with the grill removed. The info on the car says the water shield is removable not the whole vent. Why would you want to remove the grill except to show off the size and the engine. Every slat on the grill acts as a spoiler of sorts speeding up the air passing over the hood which decreases the air pressure making the vent more efficient than a big hole.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Doesn't prove anything. The vent works better with the grill in place than it would with the grill removed. The info on the car says the water shield is removable not the whole vent. Why would you want to remove the grill except to show off the size and the engine. Every slat on the grill acts as a spoiler of sorts speeding up the air passing over the hood which decreases the air pressure making the vent more efficient than a big hole.
You're arguing the wrong point :D

The assertion was: the vents are not removable ... clearly there's a button to make them phase into a different dimension for car shows.

Your response was to the unasked question: __should__ you remove the vents ... yeah, probably not.
Sponsored