Why exactly was Grabber Blue dropped?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Add some customized Oakley's too and you're set! (Did not mean to color match with the car)
IMG_20190121_084618.jpg
Sponsored

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Sweet glasses!

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I read somewhere that it's difficult to formulate a color that is exactly the same every time, year after year, and that manufacturers get around it by changing their colors every so often. After a few years they can bring a color back and no one will complain if it's a hair different. I don't know how true it is, but it sure sounds like something that would make sense in the corporate world.
I like Smurf blue but I don't think I'd want to see it in my driveway day in and day out, I'd get tired of it.
I would think a formula is a formula. Rinse and repeat. I think what happens is paint composition may change which can slightly affect the way a color formula looks. For instance, when they changed to water based paint. I also would'tbe surprised if they "tweak" a color sometimes intentionally.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
could be too where the paint was supplied from. Maybe a factory overseas closed up so they had to drop the color, or the price got to expensive from a certain factory. One example is back in 2011/2012, when a Tsunami knocked out a factory that Ford was getting Lava Red and Kona Blue from. So the 2012 Mustangs with those colors were very limited. I think they only did less than 500 Mustangs in Lava Red, i know for a fact that 3 Roush's were available in that color, but no Shelby's.
Some people don't even know what they have.

I remember on another forum, some years back, a guy asked what color his car was. He thought it was black until he ordered side vents and stuck them on the car, then realized the car wasn't black.

Dude had a rare as hell color. I've only seen one in real life.

ValidusTalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP + FRPP2
I have to admit it's a brighter color than normal for me, but the car was a birthday gift and something I'd been wishing for for 20 years (typical story, middle aged guy who sold his sports car as was starting a family, house(s), moves, kids, etc. all prioritized above a fun car until finally one day.....) so I was so excited about the whole thing it probably could have been polka-dotted and I'd have been in love. Now having owned my Grabber Blue GT since July '17 I can say I've had nothing but compliments, and as a professional, think it's a great embodiment of what that car is.... loud, fast, not subdued or quiet. It is my polar opposite and I love that about it.

Sponsored

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
As far as people commenting on this Grabber Blue color; by far and away I've had
more compliments on this color than any other Blue I've had over the years.
I had an '88 Trans Am in Maui Blue that my wife and I liked. Got a few compliments.
A couple other Blues but nothing like the comments like: man!!, I really like that color of
your car; or that is the prettiest Blue I've ever seen; or I wish my car was that color.

These compliments have all been from females; young and up to mid Thirties.
Of course; I've always gotten attention. Even if I was driving a dump truck. Go figure............:crazy:

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
Grabber blue and Comp Orange = yummy

17again

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Grabber Blue
Grabber blue and Comp Orange = yummy
I agree, Comp Orange was not in 2017, then I saw the Grabber blue and was sold. It pops, and with accent black looks good to me. I get it, not for everybody, but I only bought it for me. Grabber has to be one of the most talked about colors, I've even seen a Grabber Blue Mustang forum!

Black Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I think that some colors looks better on some body styles than others. I love Grabber Blue on the previous generation of mustangs including the GT, Boss 302 and the GT500, but not so much on the S550. My opinion is due to the different body style between the two models. I think that whether someone loves or dislikes the color is based on personal opinions only.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
As the title states. Can't see it not being a popular colour. Surely not to make room for another colour? Then again. It took me a long time to find that colour on a base GT.
Your question would be better directed towards someone that can actually answer it. Like.....someone at Ford.

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
Oh! I can actually provide some insight on this! I met Carl Widmann at a Mustang owners event during the dream cruise back in August 2017 after I'd picked up my own Grabber Blue '17 that week. When I went on to explain how it was my favorite color, he told me that he fought with designers to get that color to appear on the S550. He told me it would be a one-year only color and I presumed and still do that we won't see it on another S550. So if you're wondering why Ford rarely has shouty, loud, or even retro/classic colors like Dodge does (I brought that up to), the designers are largely responsible. Consumers are also partially responsible, because the bright and loud colors are probs sold less than the subdued "business and tie" neutral colors; be it because fear of standing out too much, cops, what have you. Essentially, money talks. If more people bought brighter colors, maybe Ford would give us more options. But when more people are buying blacks, whites, and grays, that's what we're gonna get more of.
M1.png

That said, the first Mustang that ever caught my eye was a Grabber Blue Mach 1 when I was a kid and I'd originally intended on Competition Orange when ordering time came. But when the latter was dropped and my favorite color came back, well it was the perfect storm for me to head to the dealer and order ASAP. I'm keeping this car for the long haul.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
It was an OK color. A little too loud for me. But for the right price I'd take any color (except black). But I think the Kona blue is much better looking than Grabber.

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Your question would be better directed towards someone that can actually answer it. Like.....someone at Ford.
I emailed for for production #'s.

On a more earthy note, by far the most popular colour for 70's & 80's vehicles was brown. My buddy has a 79 Vette in brown, he says its called root beer. I said Scott, it's the same colour as my fence post buddy lol.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I think that some colors looks better on some body styles than others. I love Grabber Blue on the previous generation of mustangs including the GT, Boss 302 and the GT500, but not so much on the S550. My opinion is due to the different body style between the two models. I think that whether someone loves or dislikes the color is based on personal opinions only.
That's always the case. It's a good thing we have so many colors to pick from.
Sponsored