Why DIDN'T you get a camaro?

Hidalgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible, Premium, Magnetic, Int. Midnight Blue, 401A Pkge, 10Sp. AT, Smart & Safe Pkge, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Shaker Pro, 20" Alum wheels; 2015 BMW M235i, Vert, Twin Turbo, JB4; BMW 2017 X5, M Sports Pkge
Doesn't anyone remember that.... "Lil Boys Pee on Bow Ties".
And that is why I didn't buy a Camaro.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
I had a 70 Challenger, and loved it; had more fun than any other car I've had in it. It was my first car, but started falling apart faster than I could fix it.
Had a 85 Z28, what a slut magnet. Had a lot of fun in that car too. Cryed when I sold it, but I'm glad I did.
Studied and compared the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger in 2013. Decided the Mustang GT was the best bang for the buck. Loved that 2013, but the live axle became a bit of a concern in handling. The 2018+ Mustang GT PP2 solved my issues, and with my 2019 PP2, I'm not looking back.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The 2018+ Mustang GT PP2 solved my issues, and with my 2019 PP2, I'm not looking back.
Ironic since looking back is one of the reasons some choose the Mustang over the Camaro.

Jazzman0718

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fitz
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback. 2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Im torn between the 2020 Mustang GT and the 2020 Camaro SS both in A10 variants. And both seem to be very close in many aspects. I plan on asking this question on a camaro forum, but the other way around. But Im curious about those that shopped both seriously and chose the Mustang in the end. Lets not use the "visibility" argument though. I've driven both extensively and that isnt a problem in the camaro, at least not for me. What else prevented you from getting the camaro? Was it price, availability or was it options?? Lets have a real conversation without a flame war starting. Thanks.
I LOVE the Challenger, Camaro and Mustang!!!!! For me, I wanted a muscle car but had to deal with a few personal factors: I am NOT a gearhead (but someday hope to increase my knowledge) I have a wife and two baby girls. We are not big people. (My wife and I are runners and pretty short)
That eliminated working on an older version of one of these 3 legends. Then I had to justify the purchase so the whole family could enjoy it. For us, that meant CONVERTABLE! Choosing between a Camaro and Mustang after that was relatively simple. As a short guy, I can barley see over the Camaro's high belt line. Yikes. Being a small car guy, I find it loathsome to park SUVs, pickups and cars I can't see out of. That's something I could train myself to overcome but when you take this inconvenience and add the camaro's lack of trunk to the decision, the Mustang was a no brainer. When you fold a camaro's top down, you lose 90% of the trunk! Not so in the mustang. Taking along toddler crap requires a trunk.

So, here I am happily with a used 2018 GT stick shift (Yeah, it's nice for the wife to RIDE in it but this way I keep her from driving it lolololol) Other than babying the high idle out of the garage, she is SO easy to cruise calmly and SO easy to rip rubber when I get away from traffic!

Thor 142

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Honestly? I couldn't get a ZL1 1LE. There just weren't any in the Phoenix area without an insane dealer markup and no one would order me one at MSRP. I found a 19 GT 350, test drove it and bought it that day.
I'm not a brand fan boy. There are a bunch of cool track cars out there. Im not sure I can drive any of them to their full potential 😏. Can't wait to get this pony out on the track.

sube83sti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Amit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 - A10 - Magneride 2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
Honestly? I couldn't get a ZL1 1LE. There just weren't any in the Phoenix area without an insane dealer markup and no one would order me one at MSRP. I found a 19 GT 350, test drove it and bought it that day.
I'm not a brand fan boy. There are a bunch of cool track cars out there. Im not sure I can drive any of them to their full potential 😏. Can't wait to get this pony out on the track.
Same here. Couldn't find a ZL1 without crazy markup. Bought a 2020 GT and boosted it. Been happy ever since.

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Rapid Red 2022 GT Premium California Special 10sp
Doesn't anyone remember that.... "Lil Boys Pee on Bow Ties".
And that is why I didn't buy a Camaro.
How about "Real Race Cars Don't Wear Bow Ties"

But the real reason(s) I own a 2020 Mustang GT Premium 401A package are many some of which are the incredibly uncomfortable ergonomics of the Camaro cockpit and the incredibly comfortable ergonomics of the Mustang.

I also like the looks of the Mustang much more than the Camaro.

That signature sound of my GT is a pleasure every single time I drive it and wasn't even present in the Camaro.

Brand loyalty? Yes... It may not be that strong with me because I DO own a GMC Z-71 and a Toyota Tacoma as well.

The Camaro I rented for several weeks was a pleasure to drive I'll admit. I liked the engine and transmission but that's about it.

FORD equals First On Race Day.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Geography.... They don't sell the Camaro here in RHD so the mustang was in a class of 1, not 2 or 3. All things being equal though, I would have cross shopped mustang, Camaro and challenger just as you are doing to find the best car for me. Things I like / don't like about the mustang after 5 yrs of ownership, that I would certainly examine carefully in Camaro or Challenger:

1. exceptionally bad build quality - I mean really really bad. Ive had some badly built cars, but nothing like this. Surely GM and Dodge must be better in this department.
2. Transmission that I really never gelled with. You are considering the auto, mine is manual so it may not apply. I should have bought an auto.
3. Fuel economy. The mustang is actually pretty good considering, worth comparing the others in real world use, especially in these times of more expensive fuel.
4. Mustang interior space is good for the vehicle type. I suspect the Camaro would be too impractical for me, I would have been better off getting a Jag XKR if I could live with only 2 useable seats.
5. Image. People do look at mustangs here and think you must be a card carrying cowboy or something. Mustangs are a rare sight outside of the USA and carry a certain stigma. I suspect this isn't an issue where you are.
6. What else can you get for the money used? Here I could have had a 4 yr old Jag XKR or 4 yr old Maserati Grantourismo / BMW 6 series etc all for the same money as my new (in 2016) mustang. I discounted them and went with the new mustang. If I were able to speak to my 5 yr younger self, I would advise me to buy the Jag XKR or Maserati instead of the mustang because of points 1 , 2 and 5 in my list.

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'm an old guy and I remember the first Boss 302 I ever saw and the sound that that little pony emitted. It looked and sounded like a racer. It was Grabber Orange. I was bitten. Between then and now the Mustang has gone through many styling changes and most I didn't like but when the S550 was introduced I immediately loved the car. I've had my 2017 GT Performance Pack for three years and in November installed a Roush Phase 2 supercharger. Absolutely a fun car to drive.
Screenshot_20220310-153826_Gallery.jpg

Modulom4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pascal
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 PP1, Ford Edge 2008 SEL
Im currently on the fence between the two myself. Especially with used car prices being high..might sell my mustang.

I personally love the look of both, and my family makes performance parts for the camaro. The warranty would be nice too.
Did you try one, for me i sit so low that i can't see anything, especially in the back window. You gonna tell me but there's a camera but I don't rely on a camera, there's no backup on my 53 footer when I backing up! and it's costrophobic for me.

Mgsouthwest2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT C/S
My first car was an 84 Z28. Loved it. I also had an 18 Camaro SS for a year. It was a great looking and fun car IMO, but mine had reliability issues. In less than a year mine had both the dreaded torque converter shudder and a rear end noise. All GM did was change the fluid out in both the transmission and rear diff. I suspected that would only be a band aid fix as I have little faith in miracle fluid fixes. So, I got rid of it.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Because the Crapmaro fell out of the ugly tree and hit every ugly branch on the way down!
AND
When the Crapmaro came out the womb, the doctor slapped the Crapmaro’s mom it was so ugly!