Why DIDN'T you get a camaro?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Why would anything go wrong with removing a wrap? How much do you know about wraps? If anything, it protects the paint on the hood. Im sure if you are buying a 1le, they will remove it for you after you buy it. They are discounted right now, and considerably cheaper than even a pp1 premium. Its already a great deal, a wrap is what keeps you from it? I doubt that for some reason. Especially if your reason is itll "look bad". Wraps look great for years if you dont mistreat your car.

Yeah you're being unreasonable. Lol. Ford wont let you take off their factory installed stripes on a gt and get a discount for it, why would chevy with the 1le? You are the one wanting to remove a factory installed option that at the very least protects paint. At the most it looks good, will last a while, and reduces glare for the performance data recorder.
To be clear, there are a number of other reasons besides the stupid hood that I'm not going to buy a Camaro. I don't like being in a cave, I think the truck engines they use are crummy, the shifter and clutch seem cheap to me. I don't like the 20 inch wheels. Wheels should be as small and light as possible and putting larger wheels than necessary on a performance car irritates me. I don't like the cost of the wheels either. I could go on.

Don't get me wrong, if someone gave me a Camaro I'd drive it. There are a lot of good things about them. If the Mustang and Challenger didn't exist I'd definitely own a Camaro.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A V8 might create some packaging issues, plus probably heavier weight hanging out over the rear may not be ideal. Not sure it would make a better 911. Plus, Porsche's little 3.8 liter 6 cylinder makes probably 750 hp, based on the 911 Turbo S trap speed of 137 mph.
It was a joke just in case you weren't sure. It would be sacrilege to put anything but a flat 6 in there.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
It was a joke just in case you weren't sure. It would be sacrilege to put anything but a flat 6 in there.
Ha, sarcasm is hard to read via a few words on a forum.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
To be clear, there are a number of other reasons besides the stupid hood that I'm not going to buy a Camaro. I don't like being in a cave, I think the truck engines they use are crummy, the shifter and clutch seem cheap to me. I don't like the 20 inch wheels. Wheels should be as small and light as possible and putting larger wheels than necessary on a performance car irritates me. I don't like the cost of the wheels either. I could go on.

Don't get me wrong, if someone gave me a Camaro I'd drive it. There are a lot of good things about them. If the Mustang and Challenger didn't exist I'd definitely own a Camaro.
Your other reasons, ok. I was merely responding to what you had just stated. That "if they were discounted without the wrap" youd consider it. Your words, not mine. There are arguments for and against both the mustang AND the camaro. I preferred the better manual transmission since going from an auto to a manual again was a big deciding point for me. I love both cars. But to me, the camaro had less cons. Visibility was maybe an issue for the first 5 mins of driving the car. I can see better with it than i could my mustang now IMO

The 1le wheels weigh less than the pp1/pp2 wheels. News to me that anyone that cares about wheel sizes and weights doesnt buy aftermarket wheels. Doesn't thr gt500 come with 20 inch wheels? Not sure.

A challenger? Weird. Id think anyone wanting a 1LE isnt cross shopping a challenger. Too totally different vehicles.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Your other reasons, ok. I was merely responding to what you had just stated. That "if they were discounted without the wrap" youd consider it. Your words, not mine. There are arguments for and against both the mustang AND the camaro. I preferred the better manual transmission since going from an auto to a manual again was a big deciding point for me. I love both cars. But to me, the camaro had less cons. Visibility was maybe an issue for the first 5 mins of driving the car. I can see better with it than i could my mustang now IMO

The 1le wheels weigh less than the pp1/pp2 wheels. News to me that anyone that cares about wheel sizes and weights doesnt buy aftermarket wheels. Doesn't thr gt500 come with 20 inch wheels? Not sure.

A challenger? Weird. Id think anyone wanting a 1LE isnt cross shopping a challenger. Too totally different vehicles.
To me the Camaro's transmission doesn't seem as good as the Mustang's. The last time I drove one I was coming from the GT350, but I always liked the MT-82.

Just think if they made the 1LEs wheels smaller. They would weigh even less.

Challenger is different yes. But I love the Challenger. It's much better looking in and out than the Camaro. The engines are better. The ride and visibility are better. It's just an enjoyable car to drive.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
To me the Camaro's transmission doesn't seem as good as the Mustang's. The last time I drove one I was coming from the GT350, but I always liked the MT-82.

Just think if they made the 1LEs wheels smaller. They would weigh even less.

Challenger is different yes. But I love the Challenger. It's much better looking in and out than the Camaro. The engines are better. The ride and visibility are better. It's just an enjoyable car to drive.
The tremec in the camaro is supposed to be much more robust even than the one in the gt350. Much less the mt82. I had the mt82 before and it was ok. Nothing special imo. The 1le comes with a short throw that feels nice to me.

Wheels to me arent a deal breaker. Especially after you see how well the 1le performs with even with those wheels

Again, i don't think that's the same shopper. If you care about what the 1le offers, you arent shopping for a challenger. Ss vs challenger, sure. Maybe. I like the looks of the challenger, but not more than the camaro. After that there isnt really any comparison. Again id wager most ss 1le owners don't consider the challenger as they are straight line only cars, and outclassed by the competition by that as well. The challenger is for someone that wants a comfy, classic looking car while still being fun and don't care about overall performance. That is not the same market as the 1le imo. The challenger felt terrible to drive in anything over initial punch off the line imo. Not even close

Plus you never went back to why the hood would look terrible after a few weeks. That just simply isn't true. You do know what a wrap is, yeah? And again, you initially said if you could get it without the hood you would consider it, but now have all of these other reasons and even compare it to a challenger. Pardon me for questioning the logic and how genuinely you have "considered it"

Last edited:

SloRyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Vinyl has a life and if you leave it on longer then a few years it burns into paint. The more sun you get the more often your vinyl should be replaced. If you wrap your vehicle it is recommended to do it every so often, not just once and leave forever. Also the hood is the worst spot for wraps because it’s the flat surface just laying there getting baked in the sun.

I had to unwrap a car my work was selling, to this day you can still see the logo and all the vinyl lines burnt in the hood.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Vinyl has a life and if you leave it on longer then a few years it burns into paint. The more sun you get the more often your vinyl should be replaced. If you wrap your vehicle it is recommended to do it every so often, not just once and leave forever. Also the hood is the worst spot for wraps because it’s the flat surface just laying there getting baked in the sun.

I had to unwrap a car my work was selling, to this day you can still see the logo and all the vinyl lines burnt in the hood.
This is different than a few weeks. No one here said forever. Itll need as much care and re-doing as the vinyl stripes on the shelbys (and gt with the stripe option), which he used to have a gt350. You can also remove it like the stripes. Asking for a discount due to that is silly though. You dont pay for the hood wrap, as its a small part of the 1le package. Just like you dont pay for the red paint option 6 piston front and 4 piston rear brembos. Paint also has a life that is shortened by being in direct sun, just like vinyl. Common sense. Either way the argument is irrelevant as he said he didnt like it, and @shogun32 and i both said its easy to remove. Which is why i said bs on the wrap being an issue.

Also, there are no lines or logos on a full satin black hood wrap.

Last edited:

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I, probably like many on here, don't know who you are - who are you and what makes you better than Porsche's engineers? When many of us see that type of comment, we think "Huh, really?"
I'm a nobody. Mostly what makes me better is the same thing that makes any of us better. We are creating a car for ourselves. We don't have the limitations of producing something for the open market. We can make choices which would never be feasible economically.

In more personal terms, though, I have a lot of experience with many types of cars in challenging situations. If it matters (I tend to think it doesn't & only mention it because Josh did), I am a degreed mechanical engineer. That's about as far as I intend to go on that topic. I'd much rather discuss car mods with respect to its individual qualities rather than some argument from authority.

OEM engineers are often clever concerning their small slice of the car. Few, if any, ever have the opportunity to control the direction of the entire car. We can have a global view of our personal car that an OE engineer will inherently lack.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The tremec in the camaro is supposed to be much more robust even than the one in the gt350. Much less the mt82. I had the mt82 before and it was ok. Nothing special imo. The 1le comes with a short throw that feels nice to me.

Wheels to me arent a deal breaker. Especially after you see how well the 1le performs with even with those wheels

Again, i don't think that's the same shopper. If you care about what the 1le offers, you arent shopping for a challenger. Ss vs challenger, sure. Maybe. I like the looks of the challenger, but not more than the camaro. After that there isnt really any comparison. Again id wager most ss 1le owners don't consider the challenger as they are straight line only cars, and outclassed by the competition by that as well. The challenger is for someone that wants a comfy, classic looking car while still being fun and don't care about overall performance. That is not the same market as the 1le imo. The challenger felt terrible to drive in anything over initial punch off the line imo. Not even close

Plus you never went back to why the hood would look terrible after a few weeks. That just simply isn't true. You do know what a wrap is, yeah? And again, you initially said if you could get it without the hood you would consider it, but now have all of these other reasons and even compare it to a challenger. Pardon me for questioning the logic and how genuinely you have "considered it"
Wheels aren't a deal breaker. Just another annoyance. Like the cavern feeling, poor visibility and mail slot windows. No single thing is a deal breaker. But they add up.

I'm going to wax the car. I'd probably leave the hood open to make sure I don't get wax on it. Because you know how wax and a matte finish will interact. Not good. And when I wash the car, drying it afterwards I will have to make sure to use something different on the hood as well.

So the hood can't have a protective layer on it. It's just this matte finish. Any little scratch from snow, dirt (I have a gravel driveway), etc. will leave a permanent mark on the hood. Areas that I touch will end up with a different finish than the rest of the hood. Grease, chemicals etc. will leave permanent marks due to no protection. It's winter and I'm brushing the snow and ice off. There will probably be marks from that. I bang on the ice a few times to break it so it comes off. More marks.

Matte finish doesn't hold up like a shiny polished surface with a protective layer on it does.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
To me the Camaro's transmission doesn't seem as good as the Mustang's. The last time I drove one I was coming from the GT350
the trans is the same as the GT350. A couple of the ratios are different is all.

And the wheels are actually forged, unlike the cast mess from Ford. I don't like 20's either and there was no cause for it since pretty much all 19" aftermarket fit just fine over the 1LE 6-pot brembos just like they do on the Mustang. The 20's were a stylistic choice I'm sure - the better to mimic HotWheels matchbox cars. GM should take a cue from GT350 and give owners a velvet lined case with matchbox replica in it. :)

My 20's came off within 500 miles of purchase and I traded them for a set of fully-forged 18"s so I can run track compounds and slicks.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Wheels aren't a deal breaker. Just another annoyance. Like the cavern feeling, poor visibility and mail slot windows. No single thing is a deal breaker. But they add up.

I'm going to wax the car. I'd probably leave the hood open to make sure I don't get wax on it. Because you know how wax and a matte finish will interact. Not good. And when I wash the car, drying it afterwards I will have to make sure to use something different on the hood as well.

So the hood can't have a protective layer on it. It's just this matte finish. Any little scratch from snow, dirt (I have a gravel driveway), etc. will leave a permanent mark on the hood. Areas that I touch will end up with a different finish than the rest of the hood. Grease, chemicals etc. will leave permanent marks due to no protection. It's winter and I'm brushing the snow and ice off. There will probably be marks from that. I bang on the ice a few times to break it so it comes off. More marks.

Matte finish doesn't hold up like a shiny polished surface with a protective layer on it does.
You can put PPF on a wrap. They also have matte ppf.

And again, you could remove the wrap in ~30 mins or have the dealer remove it. Which removed the first reason you gave to not consider the car.

Your other reasons ive already agreed can be your preference. My 2ss 1le has a camera in the rear view mirror and i can see better than i could in my mustang. It also has more features than my mustang, and feels much better, for a cheaper price. Henced why i sold my supercharged 10r80 2018 gt and got the 2ss 1le. I fell in love with it.

Not everyone has the same needs or wants as me. But i just dont agree with most of the "issues". Maybe its because i had a honda s2000 and with the top up you couldnt see nearly as much as the camaro. With or without the rear view camera.

The tremec, heads up display, recaro seats, alcantara, brakes, cooling, looks, better suspension/chassis, magneride, dual mode exhaust, etc etc were all selling points to me and mattered way more than the hood and wheels. Luckily i also like the hood and wheels so no worries there either. And it was cheaper than a new pp1 or pp2.

To each their own.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'm a nobody. Mostly what makes me better is the same thing that makes any of us better. We are creating a car for ourselves. We don't have the limitations of producing something for the open market. We can make choices which would never be feasible economically.

In more personal terms, though, I have a lot of experience with many types of cars in challenging situations. If it matters (I tend to think it doesn't & only mention it because Josh did), I am a degreed mechanical engineer. That's about as far as I intend to go on that topic. I'd much rather discuss car mods with respect to its individual qualities rather than some argument from authority.

OEM engineers are often clever concerning their small slice of the car. Few, if any, ever have the opportunity to control the direction of the entire car. We can have a global view of our personal car that an OE engineer will inherently lack.
Interesting perspective. I'm also a Mechanical engineer and studied vehicle/chassis dynamics and the IC engine as my electives in college. But, that was approaching 20 years ago and I don't work in the automotive field, so I've forgotten many of those things I learned back then.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
the trans is the same as the GT350. A couple of the ratios are different is all.

And the wheels are actually forged, unlike the cast mess from Ford. I don't like 20's either and there was no cause for it since pretty much all 19" aftermarket fit just fine over the 1LE 6-pot brembos just like they do on the Mustang. The 20's were a stylistic choice I'm sure - the better to mimic HotWheels matchbox cars. GM should take a cue from GT350 and give owners a velvet lined case with matchbox replica in it. :)

My 20's came off within 500 miles of purchase and I traded them for a set of fully-forged 18"s so I can run track compounds and slicks.
The gt350 uses a tremec 3160..no? From my understanding its not as robust as the tremec 6060. Could be wrong.