Why DIDN'T you get a camaro?

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
unfortunately yes. The explosion assumes a certain amount of "free air" during inflation. Some longer bolts and some standoffs to move the pedal off the floor might be a good idea. It may be possible to also retrofit the F150's adjustable brake/gas assembly to the Mustang. You won't have the convenience of the push-button to push it back and forth but once it's set for you, no need to touch it again.
I'm good, thank you though. Turns out I'm not really close to the steering wheel 😁

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
I wonder how many pages we would be in if I posted in the Camaro forum “Why didn’t you get a Mustang” 😁

Solteka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wai
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang Ecoboost 10A
I did not get the Camaro 6th gen because the price was at least $5000 higher compared to the 6th gen Mustang here in Orlando, FL.

The 6th gen Camaro does look sharper though in my opinion, but you get more for the money with the 6th gen Mustang.

ClayDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LB 2018 GT350
When it came down to me buying there was no doubt I was getting into a GT350, but I was curious about the Camaro. I looked at and sat in a Zl1 Camaro. Didn't feel right. Visibility was lacking and the Camaro just dosen't do it for me or look as good as the Shelby.

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
For me, there were a number of things. First and foremost, I wanted the convertible. While I like the look of the Camaro convertible and I like the fact that it's got a one touch operation and can be operated while the car is in motion, neither of which apply to the Mustang ragtop, I was absolutely turned off by the fact that you loose about 3/4 of your trunk space when you put the top down. That was the deal breaker. As for the rest of it, I do tend to prefer the looks of the Mustang over the Camaro but honestly, I like them both. From what I've read, the Camaro is the better drivers car but I'm not a good enough driver to take either car to its limits so whatever advantages the Camaro may have, handling wise, are lost on me. Regardless of what the interior room specs may say, as commented on elsewhere in this conversation, the Mustang just feels more roomy inside and is definitely easier to see out of. I find my Mustang to be very comfortable. It just works for me. I have not regrets. Besides, I didn't buy the car to hotrod around in. That's not that I don't play with it from time to time but mainly, for me, it's a cruiser and I bought it looking forward to multi day road trips. I've taken two so far and the car was as close to perfect as anything I've driven in recent years. It even returned some pretty respectable gas mileage. No, I didn't buy it for fuel economy but I'm still very pleased with the mileage it has returned so far. It's much better than I expected!

Porsche Dude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 2, 2004 Porsche Boxster S
Looks was one thing but the visibility was a huge issue for me.
Number 1 is that I am a Ford dealer but the Camaro is very capable on the track. I don't like the visibility from inside, and I like the look of the Mustang better.

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - I have been mostly a GM guy going back to the '60s. Bought a Corvette in the '90s. I was looking for something to replace it that was sporty but easier to enter and exit. At age 78 I obviously passed on the Recaro seats. The styling of the new Mustang was more appealing to me from a retro perspective than the Camaro and I thought why not get a Mustang before the Grim Reaper comes knocking. After all they, like the Vette, have been a continuous icon model for fans of American muscle since the middle of the last century. When the new Bullitt model was revealed in a Hemings issue I knew that's what I wanted - color, sleeper look & features (Electronics pkg & MagneRide). I had always admired the Ford V8 sound and the Bullitt's variable exhaust feature is great. I have been extremely happy with my decision... Bruce

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
I am a Ford guy. In my family, in both our business and personal experiences, we have never had a good GM, and we have never had a bad Ford...and we have had lots of both! My first hot rod was a 68 Camaro that I really loved. I had that car in the mid-80's. It had all kinds of problems, but it was nearly a 20 year old car at the time, so I don't hold that against them.

But we had a rotten 98 Camaro when it was new, a rotten Park Avenue Buick when it was new, a rotten 86 Trans-Am when it was new, a rotten Cadillac Fleetwood when it was new...I could go on. The transmissions were always shit.

I am sure others have had opposite experiences. I am not saying all GMs are pieces of shit, but all the ones we have owned have been. There is no reason to think the next will be any different!

GForensic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mach 1/GT500 Owner
Im torn between the 2020 Mustang GT and the 2020 Camaro SS both in A10 variants. And both seem to be very close in many aspects. I plan on asking this question on a camaro forum, but the other way around. But Im curious about those that shopped both seriously and chose the Mustang in the end. Lets not use the "visibility" argument though. I've driven both extensively and that isnt a problem in the camaro, at least not for me. What else prevented you from getting the camaro? Was it price, availability or was it options?? Lets have a real conversation without a flame war starting. Thanks.
Actually, with all do respect the “visability” argument is very valid here as that is a concern or problem for several people. For me personally, it was one of the main reasons I chose mustang over Camaro. Being a corvette owner I loved the fact that the Camaro had some of the components of the corvette including the engine. And because of that fact it was hard to walk away from the camaro. In all honesty, I love mustang and have owned a few and will be ordering the new Mach 1. I have also owned a few GT350’s as well. You are correct in your statement that it was not a problem for you which is great but everybody is different. I expect limited visibility in a car like the corvette but not in my daily driver. One of the many reasons I love mustang is because I have more visibility.

As far as the actual question, in addition to “visibility“ issues I didn’t buy the Camaro because I just didn’t like the interior which to me is very important along with the fact that you have to get 20 inch tires with the SS model unless I am missing something. I did like the body style at least up until 2019 along with hyper blue as a color. The 2019 model and beyond, to me at least, looked like someone beat that car with the ugly stick! it’s one thing to design it but for someone to actually approve it for production is dumbfounding and those people should be ashamed of themselves for taking an aggressive frontend (pre-2019) and replacing it with the mess that it was.

Just my own personal opinion....

Thanks!!

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I'm late to the party and admittedly didn't read all of the 22 pages...

I skipped over the Camaro because the interior is too small. I couldn't get my head fully upright in the sunroof version and the only non-sunroof on the lot was still touching my head (not just the hair, but compressing the hair and touching my scalp).

Also, the roof was so far forward, I would have to bend over to see the traffic lights, even from a couple car lengths back.

Finally was the price. The V8 Camaro with tech/stereo options was about $10K more, so price-wise it was actually a closer competitor to the GT350 and therefore lost some of its "track advantage" anyway.

GForensic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mach 1/GT500 Owner
Actually, with all do respect the “visability” argument is very valid here as that is a concern or problem for several people. For me personally, it was one of the main reasons I chose mustang over Camaro. Being a corvette owner I loved the fact that the Camaro had some of the components of the corvette including the engine. And because of that fact it was hard to walk away from the camaro. In all honesty, I love mustang and have owned a few and will be ordering the new Mach 1. I have also owned a few GT350’s as well. You are correct in your statement that it was not a problem for you which is great but everybody is different. I expect limited visibility in a car like the corvette but not in my daily driver. One of the many reasons I love mustang is because I have more visibility.

As far as the actual question, in addition to “visibility“ issues I didn’t buy the Camaro because I just didn’t like the interior which to me is very important along with the fact that you have to get 20 inch tires with the SS model unless I am missing something. I did like the body style at least up until 2019 along with hyper blue as a color. The 2019 model and beyond, to me at least, looked like someone beat that car with the ugly stick! It’s one thing to design it but for someone to actually approve it for production is dumbfounding and those people should be ashamed of themselves for taking an aggressive front end (pre-2019) and replacing it with the mess that it was.

Just my own personal opinion....

Thanks!!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
along with the fact that you have to get 20 inch tires with the SS model unless I am missing something
nope, you can run 19" just fine and I have 18" (Apex) for track tires on the 1LE.