Why DIDN'T you get a camaro?

Hockeyfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt Magneride, electronics, pac, Steeda Jack rails, Weather Teck Floor liners, SunTek PPF full front
I Got the Mustang Bullitt and not the Camaro because when the POS Obama did the so called auto bailout which was basically a kickback General Motors took the money and built factories in China. Once they did that I refuse to buy any General Motors products.

Scuba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Im torn between the 2020 Mustang GT and the 2020 Camaro SS both in A10 variants. And both seem to be very close in many aspects. I plan on asking this question on a camaro forum, but the other way around. But Im curious about those that shopped both seriously and chose the Mustang in the end. Lets not use the "visibility" argument though. I've driven both extensively and that isnt a problem in the camaro, at least not for me. What else prevented you from getting the camaro? Was it price, availability or was it options?? Lets have a real conversation without a flame war starting. Thanks.

In 2012 I decided to let go of my A body GM favorites- I just got tired of dealing with old rubber and plastic and really wasn't interested in owning a restomod. I shopped for about 2 weeks only for Camaros and Mustangs.
I absolutely loved the torque and sound of the Camaro and preferred that over the Mustang. The interiors were nicer, too.

I ended up buying a 2008 Vortec charged Mustang.

Aside from the visibility argument you wanted to avoid, I have to say sitting in and driving Camaros always made me feel a little claustrophobic- and part of that I am sure was due to visibility. The way it made me feel was the deal breaker for me.

I owned the 2008 for a few years and really enjoyed driving it. Two years ago I bought a brand new 2018 GT- it's a great car!

At this point I have completely lost interest in owning a Camaro.

RYGO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
Im torn between the 2020 Mustang GT and the 2020 Camaro SS both in A10 variants. And both seem to be very close in many aspects. I plan on asking this question on a camaro forum, but the other way around. But Im curious about those that shopped both seriously and chose the Mustang in the end. Lets not use the "visibility" argument though. I've driven both extensively and that isnt a problem in the camaro, at least not for me. What else prevented you from getting the camaro? Was it price, availability or was it options?? Lets have a real conversation without a flame war starting. Thanks.
You are correct both are similarly specced. However, the Mustang has lasted the the ups and downs over the years. Most important rating that should sway someone on the fence is the Mustang’s higher safety rating. Its the safest muscle car you can buy. Ford also does things with the mustangs that enthusiasts don’t catch until later on too. For instance, you can bolt on an IRS from 99-00 or 03-04 Mustang Cobra onto any of the fox body years. That’s right! A direct bolt on even though they were up to 20+ years apart. I personally feel that Ford engineers think things more in depth than its American competitors. The mustang has endless upgrade options oem and aftermarket so you can build it however you want through the years. My father has owned 6 mustangs. Wishes he hadn’t sold 5 of them. Went back to fox body for his #6 in 2008.After driving my 2020 pp1 he said he may even buy a new one. Lol.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
For instance, you can bolt on an IRS from 99-00 or 03-04 Mustang Cobra onto any of the fox body years. That’s right! A direct bolt on even though they were up to 20+ years apart.
because they chiseled the chassis pickup points on stone tablets 50 years ago and it's a bullet to the head if you challenge the orthodoxy - it's probably the fist question they ask of any engineering candidate. :)

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
My perception of this rivalry is that Mustang got more famous/iconic with Camaro being in the shadow but often excelling in many areas.

Think of cognac vs brandy.

I admit modern Camaro is better sports platform.

Design wise Mustang is just better for me. More classic references to the legacy. It is also more practical, I like its high revving engine more.

If I was younger I might prefer a Camaro.

If I had to rank modern 4 seats muscle platforms it would be:
Mustang
Camaro
Challenger
Charger

Last two cars do appeal to me externally, but once I'm inside I just loose the feel of where I'm in.
As a current Mustang owner who went froma 3rd gen '87 Camaro Z28 (first car) and a 4th gen '95 Trans Am (2nd car), eventually to a new 2018 Mustang GT Premium (w/ A10, PP1, and MagneRide), and soon back to a Camaro ('21 ZL1 on order), I agree that the Mustang is a more famous and iconic brand than Camaro.

That said, the Camaro has generally been the more sports car focused pony car compared to the Mustang, at least in my lifetime (3rd gen on), and still in the 6th gen versions. The Mustang is and has been more upright and has better visibility and is probably more livable in 6th gen forms. Although, when I test drove a ZL1 a few weeks ago the visibility didn't bother me. I liked the seating position and sporty feel of the cockpit of the ZL1. When I got back in my Mustang it felt very upright and the interior less sporty. I do think the 6th gen exterior Mustang looks better than the 6th gen Camaro trim for trim; i.e, GT looks better than SS, GT500 looks better than ZL1. The ZL1 levels the playing field vs a GT PP1 in the looks department because the front end is pretty awesome looking and has a better stance (smaller tire/fender gap, slightly more aggressive wheel offset to make the wheels/tires flush with the fenders, etc.).

Like I mentioned, I ordered a '21 ZL1 that should be here this spring, but I will miss the Mustang shape in my garage once it's sold - it is one good looking vehicle.

One benefit of switching to a ZL1: At least I won't be 1 of 20 different Mustangs at Cars and Coffee events anymore. The ZL1 is definitely less common than even GT350s.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
You are correct both are similarly specced. However, the Mustang has lasted the the ups and downs over the years. Most important rating that should sway someone on the fence is the Mustang’s higher safety rating. Its the safest muscle car you can buy. Ford also does things with the mustangs that enthusiasts don’t catch until later on too. For instance, you can bolt on an IRS from 99-00 or 03-04 Mustang Cobra onto any of the fox body years. That’s right! A direct bolt on even though they were up to 20+ years apart. I personally feel that Ford engineers think things more in depth than its American competitors. The mustang has endless upgrade options oem and aftermarket so you can build it however you want through the years. My father has owned 6 mustangs. Wishes he hadn’t sold 5 of them. Went back to fox body for his #6 in 2008.After driving my 2020 pp1 he said he may even buy a new one. Lol.
This statement in bold sort of makes me chuckle. The IRS bolts onto older Fox body Mustangs because the 03-04 Mustang platform is just an updated fox platform dating back to the 1978 Mustang. I wouldn't say that's a huge bonus or win for engineering ingenuity. They figured out how to make an IRS work on an extremely old (25 years) platform, I guess.

RYGO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
This statement in bold sort of makes me chuckle. The IRS bolts onto older Fox body Mustangs because the 03-04 Mustang platform is just an updated fox platform dating back to the 1978 Mustang. I wouldn't say that's a huge bonus or win for engineering ingenuity. They figured out how to make an IRS work on an extremely old (25 years) platform, I guess.
lol. you should chuckle it was a sucker punch to any camaro enthusiast. What did the camaro do in 03-04??

RYGO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
My perception of this rivalry is that Mustang got more famous/iconic with Camaro being in the shadow but often excelling in many areas.

Think of cognac vs brandy.

I admit modern Camaro is better sports platform.

Design wise Mustang is just better for me. More classic references to the legacy. It is also more practical, I like its high revving engine more.

If I was younger I might preffer a Camaro.

If I had to rank modern 4 seats muscle platforms it would be:
Mustang
Camaro
Challenger
Charger

Last two cars do appeal to me externally, but once I'm inside I just loose the feel of where I'm in.
challenger and charger have more than 4 seats...

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
lol. you should chuckle it was a sucker punch to any camaro enthusiast. What did the camaro do in 03-04??
Ha, I'm simply a car enthusiast. In case you didn't notice, I drive a 2018 Mustang GT. I love my Mustang and was completely content with it until I test drove an A10 ZL1. You may have missed it, but I believe on page 1 of this thread I mentioned the reasons why I bought a 2018 Mustang GT over the 2018 Camaro SS when I bought my car new - there were a lot of reasons and those still stand today and I wouldn't trade it for an SS.

However, I'm upgrading to a ZL1 because it is significantly better than my GT Premium w/ PP1, MagneRide, A10 (and safe and smart) in every measurable way, and that can be felt when driving it - better chassis and suspension (tighter, more precise), better transmission programming (and a stronger version of the 10 speed auto), better steering, better handling, more go fast tech., forged aluminum wheels with better offset and less tire/fender gap, and obviously, more power. Obviously, it should better in all those things for that much more money.

That said, I would have ordered a GT500 but a similarly equipped GT500 (assuming msrp) was ~$12,000 more expensive than my ZL1 build before GM rebates, which is why I chose to order a ZL1. I couldn't justify the extra cost of a GT500 considering how awesome the ZL1 is.

RYGO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
because they chiseled the chassis pickup points on stone tablets 50 years ago and it's a bullet to the head if you challenge the orthodoxy - it's probably the fist question they ask of any engineering candidate. :)
Camaros didn’t feature IRS until 2010. Ford engineers proposed an IRS option in 1964 mustang.

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
I bought my Mustang in 2017, and I considered a new Camaro, but I quickly changed my mind when I tried to get INTO a Camaro. It sat a lot lower than the mustang, and it was hard to get into and out of. Once I got in the Camaro I could not adjust the rear view mirror to actually use it out of the back window and the seat was garbage. I felt that it was incredibly uncomfortable and when I closed the door I could not see out. And I had owned only GM up until that point
So I bought a Mustang.
Now I own 5 Fords...
2016 Mustang GT RS3
2005 Mustang Convertible
2018 Escape Titanium 2.0LT
2018 Edge Sport
2020 Explorer ST

RYGO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
Camaros didn’t feature IRS until 2010. Ford engineers proposed an IRS option in 1964 mustang.
So with the camaro vs. mustang engineering argument the mustang was ahead of its time. Also,
Ha, I'm simply a car enthusiast. In case you didn't notice, I drive a 2018 Mustang GT. I love my Mustang and was completely content with it until I test drove an A10 ZL1. You may have missed it, but I believe on page 1 of this thread I mentioned the reasons why I bought a 2018 Mustang GT over the 2018 Camaro SS when I bought my car new - there were a lot of reasons and those still stand today and I wouldn't trade it for an SS.

However, I'm upgrading to a ZL1 because it is significantly better than my GT Premium w/ PP1, MagneRide, A10 (and safe and smart) in every measurable way, and that can be felt when driving it - better chassis and suspension (tighter, more precise), better transmission programming (and a stronger version of the 10 speed auto), better steering, better handling, more go fast tech., forged aluminum wheels with better offset and less tire/fender gap, and obviously, more power. Obviously, it should better in all those things for that much more money.

That said, I would have ordered a GT500 but a similarly equipped GT500 (assuming msrp) was ~$12,000 more expensive than my ZL1 build before GM rebates, which is why I chose to order a ZL1. I couldn't justify the extra cost of a GT500 considering how awesome the ZL1 is.
If you truly were a mustang enthusiast, and money was the kicker, you would upgrade your drivetrain and suspension in the 18 GT for less than what you will pay for the ZL1. I’m calling some troll bs

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
So with the camaro vs. mustang engineering argument the mustang was ahead of its time. Also,

If you truly were a mustang enthusiast, and money was the kicker, you would upgrade your drivetrain and suspension in the 18 GT for less than what you will pay for the ZL1. I’m calling some troll bs
Or he just likes the ZL1 because it's an awesome car like he said about 4 times now...

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10

Again, I said I'm a car enthusiast. I like both Mustangs and Camaros (and Corvettes, Challenger Hellcats, 911s, Nissan GT-R, Supras, M4s, Ferraris, Lambos, McLarens, etc.). Not sure how that is so hard to understand. I also don't want to invest many thousands of dollars into a PP1 Mustang to try to get it as close as possible to a ZL1. It won't have the factory engineered refinement or driving characteristics of a mass produced high performance car like the ZL1. And all those upgrades would void any warranty on the drivetrain, chassis, and suspension. And even then, I bet the only thing my car would beat a ZL1 at is in a straight line. But you can always add bolt ons to a ZL1...

And on top of all that - my Mustang with many thousands of dollars of upgrades wouldn't be worth any more than it is now.

Money was the kicker, so to speak, for not upgrading to a GT500 - even at msrp but much less paying markup.