Why DIDN'T you get a camaro?

Porsche Dude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 2, 2004 Porsche Boxster S
Performance, the Camaro SS 1LE wins in every metric, and I got my 2018 new out the door for just over $40K. Try to do that with a Mach 1.
I just did an advanced race school in the 1LE and while it is a good car and I had no issues on the track with visibility, my 2019 GT PP2 does faster lap times than I did with the 1LE. I do as many track days as I can in a year and daily drive my PP2. We need some pictures on this thread. Oh, and that ZL1 is a monster at this road course.
A27-5.jpg
A27-8.jpg
PP2 (2).jpg

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I love the “Camaro is a gawd damn track weapon” quote. And normal people drive on a track how often? Think about it? I’ll wait.
You don't have to be on a track to feel the differences. The ZL1 and SS 1LE are magnetic damper cars, so they don't ride like a race car. They are not much stiffer than my GT PP1 w/ MagneRide, for comparison, which was a good riding car.

I just love cars, so even though I'm a Mustang owner, I would have bought a 2SS Camaro if I could have found a Gray on Gray one that wasn't a former rental car (zero of those in the entire US for sale when I gave up looking, only 4 gray on gray's total in the US and all former rentals). I love the ZL1. You are right in everything you say. BUT it's a 65-72K car. The right competitor for that machine is NOT the Mach 1 that's normally aspirated and 10K less. The right competitor from Ford is the Roush RS3 that has a similar cost, is supercharged from the factory with a 5yr. 60K powertrain warranty and similar performance. IMHO it has a far better interior, is more exclusive, you can see out of it and carry enough shiznit for a week vacation. If I could have either right now... RS3. Signed... Roush RS2 owner lol...

https://www.roushperformance.com/vehicles/mustang-2021-stage3.html
I love cars, too. And loved my 2018 GT when I had it. BTW, a top trim Mach 1 costs $64k without the appearance package (+handling package, A10, Elite, manual Recaros). So that is in direct comparison, price-wise, to a ZL1. And it still has less features than a ZL1 (I optioned my ZL1 to $69k).

The RS3, while a lot of power, is a $25k adder on top of a GT PP1 w/ MagneRide optioned. That means to get a RS3 similarly equipped to a ZL1 you have to start with a GT Premium optioned w/ the 401a package, PP1, and MagneRide (msrp $53,670 w/ A10), and will be $10k more expensive than my ZL1, though I paid under msrp for mine (got in just in time and delivered in March this year). But the issue for me is the RS3 package doesn't do anything with the GT chassis except for retune the MagneRide calibration. It's essentially a supercharger, aesthetics package, new wheels/tires, and a MR recalibration.

I like the look of the 19-21 SS every bit as well as the GT350.

The GT500 better than both. The ZL1 is neck in neck with sinister compared to the GT500.

Okay, time for the Bobbsey twins to toss some childish insults....
I own a Camaro but think the GT350 looks better than an SS. Trim for trim I think the Mustang looks better (i.e., GT > SS, but ZL1 >> GT). As far as the ZL1 vs. GT500, I think they are neck and neck and can't decide between the two. Both look great and "mean".

Ride Like Crap, at least their Performance Pack cars do. Its like riding in a Horse and Buggy. Plus the rear window is worthless to look out.
Disagree - my ZL1 rides barely rougher than my GT PP1 w/ MagneRide did. And the Z has 30 aspect ratio tires compared to 40 on the GT PP1. Considering, it rides really, really well.

Obviously both of us are going to be biased in the daily driving departments, so let's take our opinions out of the equation.

Multiple review outfits, even those historically biased toward the bowtie, have rated the Mustang as a better car to live with day-in day-out. You might not personally feel that way, but that's general consensus from the press. It's not just that though, the sales figures tell us something as well. You're saying that it's equal in ergo/daily capability, while also being better performance value? Then why does it sell so poorly by comparison? It's because of the interior, the ride, the sightings lines, the looks, and everything else that makes a car a complete package rather than simply a "track toy".

The only thing a SS 1LE Camaro beats a Mach1 in is the price. Obviously people are willing to pay that premium, so there's something of value there more than just track performance.
I agree the Mustang is a great package and slightly easier to daily than the Camaro in a few key areas. I'd still have my GT over an SS, but I didn't switch to an SS, so it was an easy decision for me when I drove the ZL1 to upgrade to that. But, I think you have it backwards with the Mach 1 and SS 1LE. The SS 1LE beats the Mach 1 in every single performance metric AND price (not just price as you claimed). I agree the Mach 1 will be a slightly better daily driver, but the SS 1LE (and ZL1, etc.), are not a Lambo or some crazy daily driver. The Mustang is just slightly better in several areas (visibility, ingress/egress, trunk size/opening).

That said, the Mach 1 is a nice car, but overpriced in it's top trim form.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
All Ford had to do was price the Mach1 Handling pack between 47 (SS/1LE) and 53k (2SS/1LE) hell even 55K, and Mary would have no hesitation to feed the Camaro into the wood-chipper of history.

Blithe16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT '19 a10
Not too far off...

16258699163215749361224765624711.jpg

Pardon the lint, I haven't had much occasion to wear a woolen hat of late.
Yea. I've worn this hat more recently than Mikthehun1. Unfortunately the last time I wore this hat I was struck by a wind driven 8 ft steel umbrella and I'll never wear said hat again

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I just did an advanced race school in the 1LE and while it is a good car and I had no issues on the track with visibility, my 2019 GT PP2 does faster lap times than I did with the 1LE. I do as many track days as I can in a year and daily drive my PP2. We need some pictures on this thread. Oh, and that ZL1 is a monster at this road course.
A27-5.jpg
A27-8.jpg
PP2 (2).jpg
Let's race, I have no problem passing PP2's in my 1LE :)

Clean car tho

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
So long as we're magazine racing, you got lap times to back up that claim? Stop trying to justify your purchase of a worse car :giggle:
I didn’t buy an SS 1LE.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Yea. I've worn this hat more recently than Mikthehun1. Unfortunately the last time I wore this hat ...
I was SO going somewhere else with that opening narrative.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I blame Chevy's marketing more than either of you, though you're still both a bit lacking in reading comprehension skills.

Go back and read what I wrote:

I've even made it nice and big for both of you to see. Neither myself, nor @Wyzz Kydd were talking about the ZL1.

Get some facts, and come back and see me :like:
But you said I was somehow trying to justify my purchase of a supposed “worse” car, and I clearly did not get an SS 1LE. So I think it’s you that needs to re-read.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
But you said I was somehow trying to justify my purchase of a supposed “worse” car, and I clearly did not get an SS 1LE. So I think it’s you that needs to re-read.
Truce. Lets just say you're reading comprehension needs work and Mik's writing comprehension needs work.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Yes, and you started going on about the ZL1 being better, when I was never talking about the ZL1. I still stand by my statement though about the Mustang being a better car. I'd take a base Ecoboost former rental over a brand new loaded ZL1.
Ha, to each his own. Yours and mine are prime examples of why it’s good to have a choice.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Truce. Lets just say you're reading comprehension needs work and Mik's writing comprehension needs work.
That’s fine. But I clearly understood that he was talking about an SS 1LE based on my replies. Not sure how anyone confused that based on my replies. I added ZL1 to the mix since a loaded Mach 1 is about the same price.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
That’s fine. But I clearly understood that he was talking about an SS 1LE based on my replies. Not sure how anyone confused that based on my replies. I added ZL1 to the mix since a loaded Mach 1 is about the same price.
You might want to rethink my truce offer. The next alternative is knocking your heads together or making you kiss and make up.