Sponsored

Whipple Metrics

Curious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A car with four wheels
So, I will caveat that I don't own a Mustang and I've browsed/searched the forums prior to asking this (the answers vary quite a bit). I also used to own Mustang's myself and try to keep abreast of how they perform and their particular nuances. With that being said, I'm curious about the performance metrics of these 3.0 Whipples on 3rd Gen Coyote's, specifically with an A10 and ways they can separate from each other in performance. I have a few people I've encountered with Whipple's on their cars with varying supporting mods but, they seem to be performing drastically different for what seems to me, as nominal differences that while they may be impactful, don't quite seem to add up.

Car 1: Whipple 3.0, stock pulley, full exhaust (no cats), canned tune, A10, street tires no passenger seat or back seats. He told me his mods.

Car 2: Whipple 3.0, stock pulley, full exhaust (cats), custom 93 tune, A10, drag pack, race seats, no back seats. I feel like he's told me most of his mods.

Car 3: Whipple 3.0, mystery pulley (he's coy about his setup), full exhaust, E85, A10, drag pack, race seat, no back seats. I've only heard from others about his setup and have looked over his car myself.

Now, Car 2 and 3 have had their oil pump gears done, etc. Specificity withstanding, I can see how there might be notable and clear differences between the cars and their straight line metrics but, they seem to be worlds apart in performance.

Car 1 seems quick but, if I had to guess, it probably runs a mid 7-second 60-130, generously.

Car 2 is noticeably quicker and if I had to guess, likely runs about a second or so faster than Car 1 in the 60-130 range; Car 1 and Car 2 have raced and there was a sizable gap between the two.

Car 3 is in a completely different realm of performance, apparently. Running somewhere around the mid to high 4-second range.

Because I race "against" them, none of them are willing to divulge specifics that may make big differences between their setups. I only know loose information about Car 3 but, I was told by a close friend of his that his 60-130 was in that range, which puts him awfully close to me.

Yes, I understand that each car has more impactful mods and therefore should be quicker but, for those of you out there who have gone from a mid 7-second 60-130 to now running in the mid to high 4's, you understand how large of a gulf in performance that is. So, if someone could help me identify what the overt differences must be between these cars to see them use the same blower but have drastically different metrics, that would be helpful. Aside from the pulley size and E85, it surprises me to see them perform so differently with the same blower and no other overt mods (nitrous, meth, gutted/stripped, etc.). I suspect that Car 3 must have larger injectors and fuel pump (maybe a boost-a-pump) to support his power level but, word round campfire is that he's in the four-digit wheel horsepower range.

While we are all friendly with each other and none of us race each other for money, I must admit that I don't care for the mystery mods that seem to separate these three cars. So if anyone could shed some light, that would be fantastic. Car 1 and 2 have raced me so, that's settled but I have yet to race Car 3. While I have put down quicker 60-130 times than what was conveyed to me about his car, I'm wondering how easy he could close that gap with a modification that I can't readily identify.
Sponsored

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Small pulley and E85 can make tons of power. A 3.25” can make in the mid-800s on E85. 3.0” or smaller and you’re moving into the 1000whp range on E85.

A stage 2 Whipple off the shelf kit (3.875” pulley) with their calibration is a mid to low 7 second 60-130 in an A10 car.

PartyPatJDM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Car 1 and 2 don't make any sense due to the catless car making more power with the cat delete even though it will lose some torque. Being car 1 has a can tune its probably losing on performance where car 2 has a custom tune.

As for car 3 there is so much needed to run e85 including the fuel system, injectors, proper tune, etc. E85 is not consistent so our shop chooses to avoid tuning E85 wherever possible and we make mustangs that still put out 1300hp to the crank running C16 and around 1000 on 93.

The whipple 3.0 may be consistent across all 3 but that really doesn't matter in the scale of things. We have the record for the fastest 2.3 on a lightning and whipple wanted us to put on a 3.4 but we were even beating some 3.4s so we decided to stay at 2.3

Moral of the story. A good tuner, shop and build can make a world of a difference. Size doesnt always matter even if your gf says it does.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Car 1 and 2 don't make any sense due to the catless car making more power with the cat delete even though it will lose some torque. Being car 1 has a can tune its probably losing on performance where car 2 has a custom tune.

As for car 3 there is so much needed to run e85 including the fuel system, injectors, proper tune, etc. E85 is not consistent so our shop chooses to avoid tuning E85 wherever possible and we make mustangs that still put out 1300hp to the crank running C16 and around 1000 on 93.

The whipple 3.0 may be consistent across all 3 but that really doesn't matter in the scale of things. We have the record for the fastest 2.3 on a lightning and whipple wanted us to put on a 3.4 but we were even beating some 3.4s so we decided to stay at 2.3

Moral of the story. A good tuner, shop and build can make a world of a difference. Size doesnt always matter even if your gf says it does.
If your shop doesn't recommend e85 for boosted coyotes you have no business tuning them, let alone giving people advice on the forums. Your going to cost some newbie their engine.

Op,
Your results sound pretty normal. Whipple canned tune = slowest. Similar set up with aftermarket tune = a little faster. Same set up with e85 and who knows how much smaller pulley = way faster. These cars love e85 and the only way to crank up the boost reliably is to run e85. It's a different animal than pump gas.

PartyPatJDM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
If your shop doesn't recommend e85 for boosted coyotes you have no business tuning them, let alone giving people advice on the forums. Your going to cost some newbie their engine.

Op,
Your results sound pretty normal. Whipple canned tune = slowest. Similar set up with aftermarket tune = a little faster. Same set up with e85 and who knows how much smaller pulley = way faster. These cars love e85 and the only way to crank up the boost reliably is to run e85. It's a different animal than pump gas.
I'm not sure when it became e85 or nothing? E85 is the least consistent fuel being that when you hit the pump it can be e80,e90,e75 etc. We choose race fuel like c16 because its always the same and tested. We have been tuning for over 25 years, and where did you get the knowledge to say we shouldn't be tuning?

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I'm not sure when it became e85 or nothing? E85 is the least consistent fuel being that when you hit the pump it can be e80,e90,e75 etc. We choose race fuel like c16 because its always the same and tested. We have been tuning for over 25 years, and where did you get the knowledge to say we shouldn't be tuning?
Pump gas is fine but recommending it over e85 on a 12:1 boosted engine is not. C16 is a great choice but not cost efficient for a street car. If your going big hp on a pump gas s550, a little detonation and your engine is done. If you run an e85 tune and get e75 your gonna run a little rich but probably won't blow it up. Plus testing ethanol is quick and easy. You can tune all you want, just don't give shitty advice on the forum you just joined.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Whipple with Whipple tune generally pulls low 130’s, with an occasional mid to upper 130’s.

Aftermarket tune could be slower, blow up, or pull upper 130’s with an occasional low 140’s.

e85 and smaller pulley regularly pull mid to upper 140’s.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
If fuel cost matters then maybe a 1300hp car isn’t the right choice.
That's an old/outdated philosophy. Regardless of power level or wealth, tuning for fuel that the vast majority of people HAVE to purchase by container isn't practical for a street car. Just the hassle of cans and funnels is enough for anyone to say no thanks. Then there's storage (to have enough on hand so you're not constantly dealing with shipments or trips to the speed shop, let alone the cost savings of buying in bulk).

I can afford to run whatever I want and I'd never tune for something that I can't get from a pump/station. Trailer Queen, yes. Street car. No.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
E85 is inconsistent, but is also testable/verifiable. The smartest route is to tune on E70, that way the car has a full 30 % points of swing without becoming undriveable. I had my tuner final the car on E70, that way if I'm running E80, the trims and fuel system can handle it and I'm getting more knock protection. If i'm getting E65 or lower, I know not to flog the car and especially not to hot lap it with back to back pulls.

If you're getting into high teens or low 20's with boost (on 12:1 compression) it starts to make sense to install an ethanol sensor so you can verify in real time the quality of the fuel. $400 and no more tube tests at the pump, I can pull up the fuel content on my phone app.

I'm pursing a MOTEC setup so there may be a possibility of running a quasi "flex fuel" setup, not with 93, but fine tuning based upon E content range.

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
And to answer the OP's question, just look at a stock A10 mustang and one max'd out N/A. Huge difference in trap speed, same basic setup. A 50 state legal tune by someone who has to worry about warranty is much different than an optimized one (that accepts more risk or depends on the operator using consistent/known fuel).

My car was "shorted" at 8k redline with 21 degrees of timing and high .70's lambda at WOT and made 1100 rwhp. I had the tuner back out 4 degrees of max timing (17 max) and the car made just over 1000 rwhp. MUCH safer with room for real world conditions. I've since updated the redline to 8500, so it probably makes more (who knows) but the point is, there's a good deal of "slack" in any tune ranging from conservative to ballz out ragged edge.

OP
OP

Curious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A car with four wheels
I appreciate the replies, fellas. It sounds like this is pretty much right in line with what I should expect with these cars. I know the Whipple is a great performing supercharger so, there was no doubt in my mind about that but, it was the vast difference in performance between the three that surprised me. Nonetheless, I know my car isn't necessarily that quick with it only trapping in the 150's and still being in the 4's for 60-130 but, I can feel Car 3 breathing down my neck pretty hard. Haha. Luckily these are all great guys and there's no tension between us.

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
I just want to see a 1000hp mustang on 93 octane!

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
thats a 2018+ with DI, 2011-2017 that’s impossible. That 1000hp on 93 I can guarantee was dialed down because just like e85 93 has major quality issues.
Sponsored