Sponsored

Whipple car runs bad - tune issues

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
I see both sides, but in all seriousness when you have a customer with an issue, why the hell do you force them to wait extra hours / days to convert each strategy. That is not sound in my opinion. Prioritize strategies with issues logged, and get them to those with open tickets first. Triage your support issues, then release en mass.

if your using sound internal controls and are organized zero reason this isn't simple and painless once you resolve the issue.

can you justify delaying the fix so you can "follow established protocol" If it is as obscure and minor as you have stated could the other strategies not have waited a few minutes in order to prioritize?

Just a thought.
Sponsored

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
How do you think I would get you a custom tune? I offered, I was going to take care of it. I mentioned that I'm limited in what I can do in updating the calibration and wanted to help you. You said you didn't want it because you wanted our safety and features which we understand.

Having a slight hesitation in 5th and 6th gear only during certain driving conditions does not mean the car runs like crap. It also has nothing to do with fuel mileage or excess fueling, nor damaging the cats. The issue is actually in the cat light off mode and what it does to light the cat off. You have to go richer to light the cat off after a decel when the injectors cut. It takes multiple scenarios to even do it. There is no danger to your vehicle.

I said on Jan 19th, that we had resolved the issue and we were going to update all the stage 2 manual cals. On the 24th, I said that we actually found one more item during validation testing. As I said, files are being converted and that's where we are. I offered to reflash here to save time as that's the fastest method, you declined. When the update is available, it will be posted here so you can use your voucher to request a new file.

1st it is not just 5th and 6th as my logs I sent showed it is all gears and it is a surge not just a hesitation.

I guess the biggest thing is what feels like a never ending eta. Every week it it a few days away and then the next week is the same.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
1st it is not just 5th and 6th as my logs I sent showed it is all gears and it is a surge not just a hesitation.

I guess the biggest thing is what feels like a never ending eta. Every week it it a few days away and then the next week is the same.
Man seems like you'd never be happy:headbonk:Good thing you didn't buy and have issues with the other SC companies calibration. You wouldn't see them posting let alone the owner on forums to correct the issue directly. Most Whipple cal cars run perfect and for the few who don't they have been working it.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
I see both sides, but in all seriousness when you have a customer with an issue, why the hell do you force them to wait extra hours / days to convert each strategy. That is not sound in my opinion. Prioritize strategies with issues logged, and get them to those with open tickets first. Triage your support issues, then release en mass.

if your using sound internal controls and are organized zero reason this isn't simple and painless once you resolve the issue.

can you justify delaying the fix so you can "follow established protocol" If it is as obscure and minor as you have stated could the other strategies not have waited a few minutes in order to prioritize?

Just a thought.
We don't build custom cals, we build production cals, meaning they all get the same update. Doing 1 at a time would take significantly longer than doing all at once because in the end, all will need to be updated. There can always be certain quirks in a cal, frankly, the factory cals have multiple undesirable traits. This will be the final calibration update therefore all stage 2, manuals get the same update, at the same time.

Racerbox77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Cobra
I believe the OP's issue was/is hesitation on part throttle boost. Has that been resolved yet? Mine had the same problem until I increased Power Enrichment over the Whipple tune. Wondering if I just put a bandaid on it or if that's the correct fix.

Sponsored

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
I believe the OP's issue was/is hesitation on part throttle boost. Has that been resolved yet? Mine had the same problem until I increased Power Enrichment over the Whipple tune. Wondering if I just put a bandaid on it or if that's the correct fix.
Yes, that is a band aid and yes we are addressing now.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Man seems like you'd never be happy:headbonk:Good thing you didn't buy and have issues with the other SC companies calibration. You wouldn't see them posting let alone the owner on forums to correct the issue directly. Most Whipple cal cars run perfect and for the few who don't they have been working it.
I was perfectly happy with my 02 GT mmr900 with On3 turbo. Ran like stock until you hit it. They advertise stock driving so all I want is what was advertised.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I was perfectly happy with my 02 GT mmr900 with On3 turbo. Ran like stock until you hit it. They advertise stock driving so all I want is what was advertised.
Hey Man! I feel for you, I was where you are for about 3 months. From the first day of picking what kind of FI I was going to go with, Whipple was tied for #1, but I selected Procharger and now a year later and finally getting a fresh completely new tune I'm finally happy. There is a lot of frustration and I thought I was going to loose it several times (for the record I probably did loose it, lol).

Since I've been around here, Whipple does actually seem to want to have their customers just as satisfied with their tune as with their hardware. Like Roh92cp stated above, that's not so much the case with the competition in my opinion.
Hang in there and remember to take deep breaths, lol. You are in the home stretch for sure now.

Of course I could end up being one of those wrong people who felt like typing something on the internet, don't you know I've never done any business with Whipple myself. :doh:

OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
Cat #3 broke up tonight. Could tell by the exhaust note. A borescope inspection confirmed it - cracks again. What is telling is that it's cold out and due to tire issues the car hasn't seen WOT since November... At $480 a pop this is getting VERY old VERY quickly. Now they can't say say they've "not heard of that" any more...

J

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Cat #3 broke up tonight. Could tell by the exhaust note. A borescope inspection confirmed it - cracks again. What is telling is that it's cold out and due to tire issues the car hasn't seen WOT since November... At $480 a pop this is getting VERY old VERY quickly. Now they can't say say they've "not heard of that" any more...

J
Man I’m sorry. This is why I told them I was afraid of killing mine but he assured me it won’t happen so you must be telling a lie.

Sponsored

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0

J
Cat failure is normally from engine misfire or overheat. Your not going into overheat, therefore its most likely misfire. Since the same cal is used on all the vehicles, the cal will not create "misfire", it is something else in the system that is doing it, otherwise all would do the same thing. If you hurt a cat, you HAVE to change the front O2 sensors, if not, you will continue to hurt cats in most cases.

I don't think anybody ever said we've never come across a cat failure. If your in the performance world, you've witnessed it at some point, But common failure, absolutely not.

I would highly recommend replacing the cat or cats, both front O2 sensors, new spark plugs and gap them with a feeler gauge, not a spark plug tool. All should be .028". It would be wise to remove each spark plug now and with a feeler gauge, check each plug gap before replacing or touching anything else.

brandonalberd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic S550
I’d say something else going on if your in the 3rd cat. Granted I’m not Whipple tuned ( Lund ) I’m sure they’re tune is safer in some aspects than Lunds is and when I had my cat deletes done they said mine were beginning to “cake” up but nothing he’d never seen. My plugs are gapped .028. Never had an issue until a a small fuel trim issue I’ve run into lately

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
All this talk about cats going bad has me wondering. I purchased my car brand new from the dealer in July 2016 and have had my Whipple gen 2 stage 2 installed from the get go. Car only has 7,841 miles on it. Over the past 1,000 miles or so, my exhaust note has changed quite noticeably with more crackle and pops and I'll occasionally get a real bad rotting sulfur smell.

We put the car on the lift and inspected the exhaust- no leaks or loose clamps.

Additionally, the car just recently started breaking up occasionally in the higher RPMs.

I have never tracked the car and the car serves as my year round daily driver. Roundtrip to work is under 4 miles of city driving, thus my low mileage.

I've been meaning to find time to check the plugs, but have been busy with family matters (mother in law on dialysis 1-step away from hospice).

I always assumed my 8mpg was due to the short commute to work with about a dozen stop signs/and or red lights along the way, but perhaps something with the stock Whipple tune isn't quite right.

The car seems to drive fine and makes good power, but this cat thing has me intrigued. I'll be super bummed out if my cats went bad after such little mileage.

93 octane only

Hate to go off topic, but does anyone know if the spark plugs that come with the Whipple kit are pre gapped correctly?

I'm starting to lose faith in my dealership and wouldn't put it pass them if they just installed the plugs from the kit without checking the gap before hand.

Last edited:

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
The plugs are not gapped correctly and if you have a way of checking I bet your LTFT are all out of wack.
Sponsored