Whine @ 4K RPMs

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 2 SS 1LE, Former 2018 Mustang GT.
So I wanted to provide an overall update... symptoms of the car are still like they were in my original post... maybe a bit worse, but the car is still running around.

I've been to 2 Ford Dealers....................... Dealer #1 Said it was normal after doing a test drive with me and refused to do anything else to the car. Dealer #2 Agree'd the car doesn't sound normal at all and opened up a claim with Ford's warranty center. Ford told them we need to compare it with a Mustang GT Manual, with PP1 on it....................... As you can imagine, with the current car market... they don't have any to compare it with.

I said you have a 2020 Manual GT without PP1 on it, can we use that to compare it with at all? Now they're just ignoring me and want me to go away.

The dealers basically know it's screwed up, they know it'll be an uphill battle to fight for me since it's still under warranty, so they won't even attempt to help me. They just want me to shut up and disappear.... They just want the thing to completely break outside of warranty. Ughhhh.
Sponsored

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have an UPDATE for you guys after today........ to start with that update, we have to go back to 2020..............

In December last year I got my last oil change... it was a free oil change because the dealer had to cancel my original appointment after I showed up.... it was in good faith.

I just got my car serviced at Valvoline because I trust them more than any Ford dealer. They went to drain out the oil and there was HARDLY anything there. It's been 6 months and 4k miles... right on time for my next change.

I did get a sample of the oil and will send it to a lab to figure out what type of oil was in the car. The paperwork had the correct oil on it........ BUT who knows???

But it's now obvious, to me... they either A. Put too thin of an oil in there, (the wrong type), B. They didn't put enough oil in the car period since it was a free change............ or C. Both.

I now fully believe the noises I complained about wasn't the trans, and it's some sort of engine component that has been overstressed and broken from the botched oil change and driving it around like that for months broke it.

The engine is screwed up and I can say with 99% confidence that dealer broke my car.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
PUT SOME GOOD ASS OIL IN IT. maybe it'll lube up some shit that has been neglected. if it hasn't given out, maybe it'll rejuvenate it? im making shit up out my ass

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put in good stuff.... Valvoline 5W30 Synthetic MaxLife Oil.... but who knows what'll happen now. I can promise you I'm upset.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Sample won't tell you much of anything. You'd be better served cutting open the oil filter and taking a look at the filter element for excessive metal debris. Well, if you still have it. Just uh, maybe make it a habit of checking your oil levels once in a while, ya?

Sponsored

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sample won't tell you much of anything. You'd be better served cutting open the oil filter and taking a look at the filter element for excessive metal debris. Well, if you still have it. Just uh, maybe make it a habit of checking your oil levels once in a while, ya?
It might tell me though if the oil the dealer put in matches what the paperwork says. I took this photo of the dip stick about 10 days before the oil change. Didn’t do more than about 300 miles of driving after I took this photo.

596BA9C5-5742-44CC-973B-229610C3625D.jpeg

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
It might tell me though if the oil the dealer put in matches what the paperwork says. I took this photo of the dip stick about 10 days before the oil change. Didn’t do more than about 300 miles of driving after I took this photo.

596BA9C5-5742-44CC-973B-229610C3625D.jpeg
That's low but wouldn't be enough to cause damage unless you're whipping it around a track. And what lab did you send it in? The ones I'm aware of from BITOG can only give a rough idea of viscosity. Honestly, it's incredibly unlikely they used anything less viscous fhan 5w20. But I guess we'll see. I just think it's unlikely the sound is related to your engine unless it's a pulley or serpentine belt. This is reinforced by you saying it's only under load and accelerating. Even if the load is ligher in neutral, you'd still hear whine. Unless you do and I missed it.

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's low but wouldn't be enough to cause damage unless you're whipping it around a track. And what lab did you send it in? The ones I'm aware of from BITOG can only give a rough idea of viscosity. Honestly, it's incredibly unlikely they used anything less viscous fhan 5w20. But I guess we'll see. I just think it's unlikely the sound is related to your engine unless it's a pulley or serpentine belt. This is reinforced by you saying it's only under load and accelerating. Even if the load is ligher in neutral, you'd still hear whine. Unless you do and I missed it.
Blackstone Laboratories sent me the sample kit, I just have to send it to them. I haven't done it yet. I'm hopeful it's somehow just a belt. I don't have any videos of this yet, but when I open up the engine bay I can hear something squeaking around.... It doesn't whine under neutral like so I'm not sure what to think.

My two thoughts are either it's some sort of belt issue, or it's the MT-82 trans going out.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Blackstone Laboratories sent me the sample kit, I just have to send it to them. I haven't done it yet. I'm hopeful it's somehow just a belt. I don't have any videos of this yet, but when I open up the engine bay I can hear something squeaking around.... It doesn't whine under neutral like so I'm not sure what to think.

My two thoughts are either it's some sort of belt issue, or it's the MT-82 trans going out.
Well if the dealer isn't gonna play ball at least you can narrow it down cheaply. My timing chain tensioner squeaks like mad when cold and goes away when warm. There's a TSB for it. I kinda thought the whine and the tensioner maybe related but it's a stretch to say so with confidence.

Blackstone unfortunately won't help too much. It's better when looking for trends. The sample size is just too small to get a realistic evaluation. IF you have metal floating around, it's not going to be everywhere in your oil. Hence the oil filter. That would catch the metal and you'd see it.

It's a shame it's not easy to get a stethoscope up to the transmission when you're under load. That would answer your question real quick. I suppose you could use a magnetic drain plug, in your transmission, and see if it catches an abnormal amount of debris.
Sponsored