NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Its not turning The systems off its just changing the settings to let you hang the tail out more... The only way to turn it off is to unplug it... Theres a connector by the air intake. That's also how u dyno these cars.
I think whether the car saying "Advancetrac Disabled" actually means it's disabled, isn't know for sure one way or another. The plug is pulled because on the dyno the car reads massive speed at the rear wheels, and 0 speed at the front, causing issues.

Some think that's related to the ABS.
Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Its not turning The systems off its just changing the settings to let you hang the tail out more... The only way to turn it off is to unplug it... Theres a connector by the air intake. That's also how u dyno these cars.
Not doubting you but seeing a good reason to get some cheap tires to confirm this.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
That's the difference between "Traction Control Off" and "AdvanceTrac Off".

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I drove it this weekend in SPORT+ mode with traction control off and steering in NORMAL mode. GLORIOUS!!!!
I also drove in SPORT+ mode with traction control off and steering in SPORT mode. Not bad, but I like the feel of the NORMAL mode steering best.
It's awesome having all these drive modes/steering modes with this car. Love it! :thumbsup:

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Track Mode all the time unless wet weather. I leave the AdvanceTrac on though.

Sponsored

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Sport Guage cluster with engine temp, trans temp and vac/boost (whipple)
Track Exhaust
Comfort Steering
Shifter in D
TCS/Advancedtrac off (when I wanna get rowdy)
71832425_528379701064052_6132459635006767104_n.jpg

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You're looking at it wrong... The TCS and driver aides on these cars are probably the best you can find on the market without buying a Ferrari or 911.

The computers will let you slide, pretty much as long as u want. Then when u want out u just press the gas and the car somehow always finds traction...
Sorry, but I just can't consider letting some computer sort out your shenanigans for you as being the right thing to do. You learn that you can get away with hooning around without ever having to develop the skill to support such foolishness.

Before bashing the system I recommend doing a road course with it... Then you'll understand just how awesome these features are.

The computers arent in the way and arent "nannies" they aren't keeping you safe they actually will make you go faster once you understand them
They're still interfering with your ability to not only sense what's going on down at the contact patches, but also with your direct control over what's happening down there and your ability to relate the two. With electronic assist, you pay for improving the 'controllability' aspect of handling with reduced driver skill. You can't learn what you're not permitted to experience, or even stay current with what you have previously learned when you could experience it.

In the picture below, compare the slip angle trace against the steering angle trace for the more aggressively calibrated stability control system in the Blazer. You just can't tell me that the near total lack of coordination between the two is a good thing for handling in any overall sense (where the driver is heavily involved) even though it in all probability does do a better job of keeping up with the Malibu than most drivers could in its absence. And that's before looking at the unexpected increase in slip angle about 175 feet into the maneuver. No, it's not AdvanceTrak, but it is still representative of what's going on behind the scene when you let the electronics take over. It's how they work.

MT Blazer vs Impala lane change test web.jpg

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
3star2nr said:
Also when u turn "off" TCS the car basically says "aww thats cute" and is essentially faking it to make you feel good. The computers are still on. You have to physically unplug the connector under the hood to actually turn them off...

So all this time you've been thinking your busy doing work, and it's all you, the car like a good woman has been really just stroking your ego and egging you on... While the whole time its been working quietly in the shadows.
If you have much experience in cars without TC, you'll realize what's going on the first time it intervenes. Well, I guess you do have to be inclined to pay attention to such physical-sensation things.

The sign of A well designed system is one that works so well it makes you believe you did it all yourself...
IOW, the system lies to you, you let yourself believe what it tells you, and you end up not learning much about limit behavior . . . not a good approach in my book if you really are going to drive that hard.

And fords engineers understand driver dynamics and know more about their owners driving abilities than we give them credit for... You asked how can u do burnouts? Ford literally programmed a mode specifically for burnouts...
And just who do you think Ford's engineers understand that they absolutely must calibrate their systems for? What level of driver car control? Methinks it's a whole lot closer to lowest-common-denominator and newbie driver level than up around that of a decent autocrosser or track rat. Even the 'relaxed' calibrations still get in the way of the better autocrossers.

I'm OK if Kevin08 wants to call me 'Gramps' thinking I'm going to take it as a slam. Two of my grandkids are 20-somethings and the other two are in their mid to late teens. He has no idea how glad I am for having had to to develop my driving around a completely mechanical vehicle dynamics basis.

Norm

Last edited:

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
I have a '16 GT w/PP (stick) so I run Sport+ and Sport Steering (I think that's the name NOT comfort or normal).

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Normal cruising TC/AT on, but if you’re trying to go fast, it pulls a ton of power any time there’s a slight bit of spin or the rear is coming out and when it does it takes forever to recover. I can manhandle it back into shape much faster.

Sponsored

3pdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 mustang gt pp1, '82 f150
one of my few gripes about the car is nannies for the reasons Norm points out. if they take any control away from me to protect me from myself, i at least want some sort of feedback. a light/chime that says "hey i used one or more of the brakes for you just now" or "hey i just pulled timing" or whatever. before nannies i regularly found the edge of the envelope to know where it is. its harder with nannies. harder still with good sneaky nannies.
i will pull the connector for autocross and hdpe events but not for the street

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I just leave mine alone when I drive it, and this car is only street driven to get to the track. At the track I leave it alone as well. It teaches you car control to keep the nannies quiet.

You do not go fast on a road course sliding the car around, you go fast by consistently reaching the maximum grip the tires can sustain and not exceeding that. I rarely, if ever, get a flicker out of the nannies. And as for it wearing out rear brakes, if you keep it hooked up that is total BS it does not happen. I have 3 track days on my car since putting new Hawk pads in and I can only measure half a mm of wear on the rears, and 2 mm wear on the fronts. This car is driven hard and is always in the fastest 10% of cars on track days, I know of only one other street legal Mustang that runs the times my car does.

Jackassing around on the street is another matter and it's something I just don't do.

bdm219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, 401A, AE, B&O
I just picked up a 19 GT PP a few weeks ago.

I programmed My Mode to Sport+, cluster to Sport and exhaust to Track mode. I also have a Roush X pipe. As soon as the car starts, I either put it in My Mode or Track mode.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I just leave mine alone when I drive it, and this car is only street driven to get to the track. At the track I leave it alone as well. It teaches you car control to keep the nannies quiet.

You do not go fast on a road course sliding the car around, you go fast by consistently reaching the maximum grip the tires can sustain and not exceeding that. I rarely, if ever, get a flicker out of the nannies.
Leaving the nannies active means that you're only driving to the limits allowed by the calibration, which necessarily aren't the same as the ultimate limits of the car or your ability to drive it.

I will say that what you're doing with leaving them 'on' (as long as you really aren't getting many flickers) is good for developing the kind of consistency that could/should pay dividends once the nannies are turned off. Though I do have to wonder how much you're leaving on the table if you're maintaining enough attention in reserve to even notice a momentary nanny flicker. I know I've never seen any warning flash from any nanny in any car ever - and this even includes ABS - unless I was actively trying to invoke one of them.

Jackassing around on the street is another matter and it's something I just don't do.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Norm

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Normal
Sport Steering Wheel
Track Exhaust when leaving the office (I park underground!)
Sport Exhaust when I hit the North Corridor Express Lanes :)

PS: How are people putting the car in 'My Mode'? I know there is a mode button, but, I feel as if it does not do anything on mine. Maybe I have it setup incorrectly.
Sponsored