Sponsored

Which mode combo do you use most?

3pdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 mustang gt pp1, '82 f150
I will say that what you're doing with leaving them 'on' (as long as you really aren't getting many flickers) is good for developing the kind of consistency that could/should pay dividends once the nannies are turned off. Though I do have to wonder how much you're leaving on the table if you're maintaining enough attention in reserve to even notice a momentary nanny flicker. I know I've never seen any warning flash from any nanny in any car ever - and this even includes ABS - unless I was actively trying to invoke one of them.

Norm
so nannies flicker? yesterday i activated abs a few times and didn't notice any flickers. didn't notice any when cornering hard (1.15g) but maybe the none where activated
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
so nannies flicker? yesterday i activated abs a few times and didn't notice any flickers. didn't notice any when cornering hard (1.15g) but maybe the none where activated
I was going with the way JohnD phrased it.

I think if you only momentarily get them to intervene, a flicker would be a reasonable description. If you've ever watched a track day video made by a driver running one of the newer Camaros equipped with the PDR, you sometimes do see the stability control icon flash momentarily. Way briefer than you'd necessarily notice directly from the instrument panel while it's actually happening.

FWIW, by the time I'm at 1.15g I've long forgotten that my car even has an instrument panel. I've never seen any indication in the WRX when I know that its VDC has intervened, nor did I in the LGT before it . . . these instances occurring at somewhere down around 0.7g peak.

Norm

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
You're looking at it wrong... The TCS and driver aides on these cars are probably the best you can find on the market without buying a Ferrari or 911.

The computers will let you slide, pretty much as long as u want. Then when u want out u just press the gas and the car somehow always finds traction...

Before bashing the system I recommend doing a road course with it... Then you'll understand just how awesome these features are.

The computers arent in the way and arent "nannies" they aren't keeping you safe they actually will make you go faster once you understand them

Also when u turn "off" TCS the car basically says "aww thats cute" and is essentially faking it to make you feel good. The computers are still on. You have to physically unplug the connector under the hood to actually turn them off...

So all this time you've been thinking your busy doing work, and it's all you, the car like a good woman has been really just stroking your ego and egging you on... While the whole time its been working quietly in the shadows.

The sign of A well designed system is one that works so well it makes you believe you did it all yourself...

And fords engineers understand driver dynamics and know more about their owners driving abilities than we give them credit for... You asked how can u do burnouts? Ford literally programmed a mode specifically for burnouts...
First of all who bashed anything? I'm just saying where I'm coming from. Opinions are all over in this thread. Do whatever you want with your own car.

Ford engineers some awesome cars. Mustangs are ridiculously good. But their average driver isn't me, or probably anyone else in these forums, but thousands of average people who could not be trusted to handle 400 hp cars competently. This is race car level performance and their buyers are not racers.
Maybe the nannies make do you quicker. Nannies also surely make you safer, ABS definitely does. I absolutely agree. Never doubted it.

Problem is when you lean on the nannies all the time you have to ask how much do you know about the mechanical limits of your car. You simply don't know.

So Ford made a mode for burnouts. Burnouts require only a gas pedal and a brake pedal. We did burnouts before computers were even invented. You really can't see that? You seriously want me to ask the car's computer if it's okay? Every time? You know what, sometimes the car says no. Sometimes the car says stop. I tried it out and it said the car wasn't level. Puh-leeze. Maybe I should ask my mom, too.

Ford started putting ABS, TC, Stability Control in cars for the same reason as all the other manufacturers did: to comply with regulations, to sell cars, up the safety, and keep lawyers off their backs. Business ethics.

But they kill a lot of the fun. Like I said, it's a philosophy.

I do know about the underhood dyno connector. My datalogging shows the same torque is requested with advancetrac disabled as it does with the connector unplugged. I'm not convinced there's any torque management with AT fully off but I'm open to any evidence you may have to the contrary.

Wait I just noticed You said my car is like a woman fooling ME.

That's backwards. With all the computer assistance you rely on your car is like like a babysitter telling YOU what to do. And making you feel like the driver you know you are not.

Who is really being deceived here?

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
So Ford made a mode for burnouts. Burnouts require only a gas pedal and a brake pedal. We did burnouts before computers were even invented. You really can't see that? You seriously want me to ask the car's computer if it's okay? Every time? You know what, sometimes the car says no. Sometimes the car says stop. I tried it out and it said the car wasn't level. Puh-leeze. Maybe I should ask my mom, too.
That mode applies front brakes only so you don't roast your rear brakes while standing on both pedals.

trying to do a burnout when the vehicle isn't level is asking for trouble. When you start to roll the rears the car will settle at the lowest potential... which is downhill.

As far as the line lock feature on the GTs, think of it less as "nannies" and more as "vehicular self-preservation".

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
That mode applies front brakes only so you don't roast your rear brakes while standing on both pedals.
What it does isn't the issue here. Aftermarket line locks have been around for decades.

trying to do a burnout when the vehicle isn't level is asking for trouble. When you start to roll the rears the car will settle at the lowest potential... which is downhill.

As far as the line lock feature on the GTs, think of it less as "nannies" and more as "vehicular self-preservation".
It's this part.

For those of us who are of a certain age (or older), have a decent semblance of self-control, and have paid attention to what cars can do when you sometimes drive them hard, it's still an unwanted overprotective nanny.

Needing it in the first place implies a lack of both awareness and self-discipline , , , which I suppose in this day and age of Cars & Coffee memes and learning by watching videos instead of doing is probably justified for a great many drivers. Probably more so in the future when cars offer even less tactile feedback about what they might be about to do if left to themselves, that their nannies are shutting down.

Norm

Sponsored

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT

As a track feature it is probably welcome. Drag racers add line locks/transbrakes all the time. Adding one to a daily driver spares the rear brakes (a non issue really) in exchange for making it easier for the unskilled to roast the rears. Not a recipe for self-preservation if you ask me.

And you don't "stand on" the brakes. Very little pressure is actually required. I've done a few hundred in many cars.

And the car WAS level! Maybe a glitch. Who knows?

TwinGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2006 GT and 2019 GT on order
2019 pp1 manual, after I start it up I flip it to MyMode which is Sport + and track exhaust. If I’ve been driving for a while I’ll turn the exhaust down. After a long drive my ears ring like after a rock concert. I’m old and my ears are shot.
Is it just me or does it help you shift when it’s louder. I think I can feel it also, like the vibrations.

valentin78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
valentin
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang roush3
i Drive in all modes, depending on the situation and conditions. For example If some guy in a vert bmw comes up and rides my ass i switch to sport plus, turn off the nannies, slow down, downshift, and let him experience the full force of fully functioning American Muscle exhaust. Then I switch back to normal .... so it depends
whats a vert bmw?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
As a drag-racing feature it is probably welcome. Drag racers add line locks/transbrakes all the time.
Fixed for clarity.

Adding one to a daily driver spares the rear brakes (a non issue really) in exchange for making it easier for the unskilled to roast the rears. Not a recipe for self-preservation if you ask me.
Making things easier for an unskilled driver to roast the rear tires . . . I really can't make letting him have an easy time of driving way out past what his own skill set can support sound like a good thing. Not even on flat/level pavement.

Norm

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Sport mode all the time unless I forget. Wish it would stay in Sport mode

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Since I paid for all of these electronic toys, I'm going to play with them. So, my favorite mode combination changes a lot. The same goes for color settings and dash layout.
Sponsored