Which Exhaust To Purchase

Black Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I rented a 2021 Mustang GT this week. I loved the sound of the exhaust. Sounded great on start up and at low speeds, but no drone at highway speeds. I have a 2016 Mustang GT and I would love to purchase an axle back that would have a similar sound to the 2021. Any suggestions?
Sponsored

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
I believe the 18+ GTs with auto have no drone due to the trans keeping the engine out of range where there is drone. On the 17s there is only a 6 speed option whether manual or auto. So at the same cruising speeds you will likely have drone. There should be some good options available but you might end up needing to install resonators.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I rented a 2021 Mustang GT this week. I loved the sound of the exhaust. Sounded great on start up and at low speeds, but no drone at highway speeds. I have a 2016 Mustang GT and I would love to purchase an axle back that would have a similar sound to the 2021. Any suggestions?
The stock exhaust in the 2018+ is definitely louder than the stock 15-17, which is probably why you like it. :) I would recommend the Borla S-type axle back. You will have no drone and it won't be too loud. You could always add a resonator delete later if you want more volume.

Meraki Autoworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
AWE is a top seller for us. Great system with no drone and great price. Borla and Corsa up there too!

Let us know if you'd like a quote, message us!

-Josh

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
AWE for sure.

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
AWE Touring follow real close by Corsa Sport.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
AWE Touring follow real close by Corsa Sport.
Had both Corsa Xtreme then a hybrid Corsa double x with AWE Touring rear. Both setups on ARH long tubes. Neither drones. Borla S type too if you want a bit quieter and no drone.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The AWE Touring catback is very popular here, but to the OP it should be quite a bit louder than the stock 2021 exhaust.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I’d start with an x pipe or h pipe to get rid of the resonator first that’ll wake the car up. Then you can do an axle back. If you can though I would get a full catback. A manufacturer like borla, corsa, or awe would give you no drone.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I’d start with an x pipe or h pipe to get rid of the resonator first that’ll wake the car up. Then you can do an axle back. If you can though I would get a full catback. A manufacturer like borla, corsa, or awe would give you no drone.
The only problem with just the resonator delete is the stock mufflers sound so tinny and hollow then. That was the first change on this car back when I first got it but that only lasted a month before had to change it.

Mdtaylorjr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
The mbrp I had on for a year was very nice. Had a decent growl at idle and no drone at highway speeds. I just installed the Xforce headers, cats, and catback yesterday and it's maybe a smudge quiter at idle with no drone at highway speeds also.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
The stock exhaust in the 2018+ is definitely louder than the stock 15-17, which is probably why you like it. :) I would recommend the Borla S-type axle back. You will have no drone and it won't be too loud. You could always add a resonator delete later if you want more volume.
I'll second this. My borla S gets compliments daily for the way it sounds and its drone is quieter than stock at cruising speeds. To the poster above, I drive a manual.

Then again, I've read that it sounds a bit different on 2018+ MY than previous generations so ymmv.

If you want the sound of a stock 2021 GT then your best bet is the exhaust of one. With a good chunk of us having aftermarket exhausts, I'm sure there's plenty laying around. Mine is tarped in my back yard just in case or I find a better place to store it.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
no drone = Corsa or AWE
AWE.

I have an ecoboost AWE. love it.
met a person at car meet with AWE gt, loved it
met a person recently at gas station with a Honda Civic type R with AWE, loved it too.

I think AWE sounds pretty damn good. I will probably stick w them on all my future cars they make exhaust for

Logan@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 3.0L Whipple
On a 15-17, you can go with multiple great options.

AWE
Borla
Corsa

all have intense no-drone technology. I have pretty much the LOUDEST you can get with Corsa (off-road 2" headers -> HH -> active corsa catback) and there is still no drone.

This difference, along with the quality of the product, is what sets them apart.

Please let me know if you'd like to price out any setups or go through some sound clips.
Sponsored