Sponsored

Ajc5633

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 1975 Nov
I know G2 is everyone’s go to. Anyone ever spray With base coat then clear. I was thinking of color matching to my need for green. G2 is like $130 for a color matched kit. I’ve painted motors with base coat/clear coat without issues. Have tried brake calipers yet.

Roadsign

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
From the Brembo website:
"The Brembo paint cycle is a long and complex process, which Brembo has perfected over the years. It includes, among other steps, applying an epoxy primer, polyurethane paint and transparent acrylic paint.

A dedicated system is used. A tunnel is used for 3 phases of pre-treatment spraying: the cycle includes painting booths and a baking oven. Colour is then applied to the calipers: this is done by hand and workers are specifically trained for the task. The calipers are then sent to another special oven. The next step includes branding the brakes by means of screen printing and tampography.
The painting process is completed by adding a transparent layer of paint."

With the right products seems it should work.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
I plan to brush paint mine red, with that two-part epoxy paint. I’ll do them on the car, without disconnecting the brake lines so I won’t have to bleed them when I’m done. I’ll probably pull them off the rotors so I can reach the back sides.
Did this with my front Brembos G2 Red and they look great. I would recommend getting a couple more cans of Brake Cleaner besides the one that comes in the kit and also better brushes - I used the 1" wide foam brushes, was easy peasey. Just clean them REALLY well and you will be good to go.

15ThreePoint7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6 MT 2019 F150 STX Ecoboost 2.7
I did spray on, 2 coats of VHT engine flat red and it was more orange, so did a coat of VHT caliper red.
20200830_163614.jpg
20200902_120210.jpg

Masking off the through bolts was a PITA though.

Last edited:

Sponsored

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
I’ve used the POR15 caliper paint kit a few year back. It comes with a degreaser, metal etch primer, POR15 rust paint and caliper paint.

After you’ve degreased, you use the metal etch which scores the surface of the metal for better paint adherence then you apply the rust paint (meant for calipers that rust over time) and while it’s still tacky during drying, you apply a first coat of paint and then a second after. It’s self leveling paint so you don’t see many brush strokes.

The paint is fairly thick and once cured is very hard.

JakeLethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
Was wandering opinions on painting calipers. Brushed on vs spray. Brush looks to be less taping up and less chance of overspray. What are yours opinions

I used G2 caliper paint. Held up great and an easy DIY. Just couldn't drive the car for a few days obviously.

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
If you want a really trick finish. Have a look at Cerakote

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Was wandering opinions on painting calipers. Brushed on vs spray. Brush looks to be less taping up and less chance of overspray. What are yours opinions
VHT makes good caliper paint, but i'd recommend going with powdercoat. The brake fluid if leaked will eat through paint.

Sponsored

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I know G2 is everyone’s go to. Anyone ever spray With base coat then clear. I was thinking of color matching to my need for green. G2 is like $130 for a color matched kit. I’ve painted motors with base coat/clear coat without issues. Have tried brake calipers yet.
I did, I cleaned, cleaned, cleaned some more day 1, so I know the prep was good. Day 2 I used primer, VHT paint and clear coat. It lasted about 2 years before the flaking was so bad it needed to be redone. I striped them down to basically bare medal, used G2 and did it over a long weekend, I think it was Thanksgiving 2 years ago. Today the G2 looks like it did when I applied and it's been over 2 years now.

SBR70.3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT Premium, 23 Explorer ST, 19 GTI (DD)
Spray or powdercoat. I did the brush on another vehicle and just did not like the way it turned out. As stated before, prep is the most important step.

As far as color goes.......red works best with most colors. What color of car do you have?
Sponsored