Sponsored

Where Does Bullitt Get It's Extra 20 HP From?

Hidalgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible, Premium, Magnetic, Int. Midnight Blue, 401A Pkge, 10Sp. AT, Smart & Safe Pkge, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Shaker Pro, 20" Alum wheels; 2015 BMW M235i, Vert, Twin Turbo, JB4; BMW 2017 X5, M Sports Pkge
Question for you motor guys. So where does Ford get the extra 20 HP in a Bullitt over the GT?
And is this something us GT owners can do too for a reasonable price?
Is it just the intake and throttle body?
If so where do I start w/out effecting my warranty?

Sorry for what might a very novice question, but it's over my head.
Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
It has a different intake manifold and open air intake taken off the gt350. It’s more of a marketing differentiation to the regular gt motor. On a dyno between the two there may be at best 3-5 hp wheel difference if any. ;).

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
So, you're saying Ford is lying? Got dyno graphs?
There are quite a few BULLITT dynos around. The Bullitt only makes a few more HP more than the GT on average. No matter what generation BULLITT you are talking about its more of a drivers race between the two. 20hp is really not a big difference when we are already talking about 460 vs 480. No one is really buying a BULLITT for the 20hp though. Its the appearance package and color.

Sponsored

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Oh boy...

Well the 1/4 times and trap speeds sure are not showing any improvements. Lol.
You're accusing Ford of false advertising, can you back it up, or not? I wouldn't expect a 4% HP difference to make much difference on the strip as Ford isn't claiming any increase in torque (which would have been nicer than a small HP increase IMO). I would expect the shorter rear-end to help a bit 0-60.

If you're trying--but failing--to say 20HP on a 400HP+ engine isn't a big deal, I agree. I rarely if ever need even half the car's HP, at least not if I don't want a slew of speeding tickets, but don't say Ford is misrepresenting a product unless you can prove it.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
There are quite a few BULLITT dynos around. The Bullitt only makes a few more HP more than the GT on average. No matter what generation BULLITT you are talking about its more of a drivers race between the two. 20hp is really not a big difference when we are already talking about 460 vs 480. No one is really buying a BULLITT for the 20hp though. Its the appearance package and color.
You get it. I happen to REALLY like the color, and Bullitts come optioned the way I would spec a factory order myself. 'Bullitt' was pretty boring, but still one of the best chase scenes ever, and although I like McQueen the actor from what I hear McQueen the person was pretty much a jackass. I'd be happy if Ford just called it the 'DHG' edition (regardless of what they call the color in-house).

Last edited:

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
If it was that great wouldn't it be simple for Ford to make it a Ford Performance offering? You would think the intake, air intake, and ECM tuning was already CARB approved.

I suspect the "gains" aren't really that impressive hence why the 18-19 power packs haven't been realized yet.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
The Bullet Boyz are in da thread/house. Lol. Think what you want too Fellers. ;). It really does not matter in the end.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
You're accusing Ford of false advertising, can you back it up, or not?
No, he's not. He said times were similar. Times are not just a factor of power. C&D said a regular PP was as quick due to grippier tires.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
... fairy HP who knows where on the power curve of a 460 HP motor.
Anyone who looks for a bit knows where. The GT350 intake manifold and a modified tune provides a real 20HP (and no torque) addition at the top end of the engine at full power output, and nowhere else. On a Bullitt, the Coyote continues to pull past 7000 rpm at the top end where the GT engine runs out of air and starts to fall off.

There are really an extra 20 HP in the engine. You'll only see them if you're somewhere above 140 mph. Tracks and places in the US where you can legally see that kind of speed are far and few between.
Sponsored