Sponsored

When did people start saying "drag pack"?

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I've been out of the performance car game for a while, and we definitely used to run drag wheels. I had a '95 Camaro Z28 with custom made Bogart racing wheels, with skinnies up front that only weighed 7lbs. Anyway, I've noticed in the forums/groups people put on drag wheels and refer to it as "drag pack." I think someone has usurped a term for something else and thinks that's what you call it. I just call it drag wheels & tires. Not sure what makes it a "pack."

Thoughts?
Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I suppose it's easy to say, and when it comes to street cars the wheel/tire setup is a huge visual impact. In two words it can describe the cars intention. Not only that, it makes sense. Unlike the bizzare labels today's society puts on things. But I digress.

Behold, drag pack....

PXL_20211224_164404877.jpg

OP
OP
ZeroTX

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I get the drag. Not sure where the "pack" came from. Usually "pack" is short for "package" which means something the factory offered. Why not "Drag gear" or "Drag setup" or "Drag equipment" or just "drag wheels'? There's nothing else to the "pack" but wheels/tires.

I think it's the "pack" part that weirds me out, because it's not a package, it's a category of wheel/tire combo. But y'all youngin's call it what ya want, I'm still calling it drag wheels.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I get the drag. Not sure where the "pack" came from. Usually "pack" is short for "package" which means something the factory offered. Why not "Drag gear" or "Drag setup" or "Drag equipment" or just "drag wheels'? There's nothing else to the "pack" but wheels/tires.

I think it's the "pack" part that weirds me out, because it's not a package, it's a category of wheel/tire combo. But y'all youngin's call it what ya want, I'm still calling it drag wheels.
Call it what you want. In this day and age, the definition of everything is blurred. So calling wheels a drag pack is of little concern to me.

OP
OP
ZeroTX

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Call it what you want. In this day and age, the definition of everything is blurred. So calling wheels a drag pack is of little concern to me.
Not a huge concern. Was just curious.... when/how this came about. In the 2000's nobody ever used that term. I read it several times on here before I realized this was not referring to some sort of Ford factory package that I was unaware of.

Sponsored

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
I think you are correct in saying "pack" is short for package, the 13-14GT500 had the Track-Package option for the additional coolers and other upgrades.

Also the Chrysler corporation uses "pack" on some of their trim packages, like "Scat-Pack"

Mostly the term "Drag-Pack", is referred to a wheel and tire set-up, from what I have seen and read.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

It’s a Ford thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_Pack

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
When I hear drag pack I think of all 4 wheels and tires changed out for bigs n littles, seems like an appropriate term for changing all wheels. If it was just the rears I would say drag wheels. To each their own

OP
OP
ZeroTX

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
So basically using it to describe your aftermarket wheel/tire setup is inaccurate... Because it represented a specific Ford package (which no longer exists)?
The English language evolves. Slang terms evolve. Call it what you want, but currently “drag pack” is a generally accepted term in this community for a front and rear drag racing wheel/tire combo.

Many words and phrases used to mean one thing at one point in time and mean something different today.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Once again I am the last to hear about such things.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase