Sponsored

when accelerating car will rev up then drop RPM

kanga80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Recently my car ('16 GT/Manual) started doing this weird thing. I think it is something with the transmission/clutch but I am not a mechanic so I really don't know. When I get on the throttle in the higher gears it will rev up then drop RPM then start accelerating. If I really push the gas it will rev higher before dropping. it happens in all gears it is just more prevalent in the higher gears. It is also unavoidable, even if I roll into the gas it will still do it.

My car is at 31K miles so I hope it isn't the clutch but IDK.
Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
sounds like a slipping clutch. I do not have a manual Mustang so my experience in limited to other manual cars I have but in your case, I would look at the clutch first before digging into anything else. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP

kanga80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
sounds like a slipping clutch. I do not have an manual Mustang so my experience in limited to other manual cars I have but in your case, I would look at the clutch first before digging into anything else. Good luck!
Unfortunately, this is also what I think as well. This is my first manual, and my parents never had a manual growing up so I am just guessing.

Zeb8806

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zeb
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium PP
For sure sounds like the clutch. Drive down the road at 45 in 4th gear, apply break pressure and gas at the same time and see if the rpms start to climb as the car slows.

OP
OP

kanga80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
For sure sounds like the clutch. Drive down the road at 45 in 4th gear, apply break pressure and gas at the same time and see if the rpms start to climb as the car slows.
What does it mean if the rpms do or don’t rise? Does this rule something out?

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Drive at a steady lowish speed. Clutch in. Select sixth. Rev to 5k +. Clutch out.

Engine revs drop immediately / engine bogs down = clutch OK.

Engine revs drop lethargically / engine doesn't bog = clutch gone.

Don't do the above repeatedly ...

If its gone, drive very sedately to help the clutch not to slip. If it starts to slip get off the gas very quickly - once a clutch has started to go it's very easy to finish them off quickly (with a very pungent smell :puke:). Unless you want to use a recovery truck, don't do any stop light races or pulls ... :cwl:

WD :like:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Drive at a steady lowish speed. Clutch in. Select sixth. Rev to 5k +. Clutch out.

Engine revs drop immediately / engine bogs down = clutch OK.

Engine revs drop lethargically / engine doesn't bog = clutch gone.

Don't do the above repeatedly ...

If its gone, drive very sedately to help the clutch not to slip. If it starts to slip get off the gas very quickly - once a clutch has started to go it's very easy to finish them off quickly (with a very pungent smell :puke:). Unless you want to use a recovery truck, don't do any stop light races or pulls ... :cwl:

WD :like:

Negative ............Don't do the above at all period. If the RPMs are acting as OP says all gears, it's the clutch . Only other thing I'd question, or check. Verify the clutch pedal is returning to the home position , and that is even a stretch .
If it is not, in theory it could keep pressure on the throw out bearing. Not allowing the pressure plate to fully engage the clutch pack.

A clutch slipping caused by wear is better than one slipping do to an oil leak.

The more one plays games the worse the damage can be . Over heating the fly wheel and pressure plate not good or smart

Last edited:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
ive always just put it in a higher gear than usual, give some gas, if the engines rpms go up, but car doesn't move at a reasonable speed higher, clutch slip

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Time for a clutch

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Does the 16 have the dual disk ? Pleased to learn the 2020 does..

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Definitely a clutch issue. With so little miles, may I ask if you bought the car used? If not, how do you drive it? Post detailed info to try to guess why it happened.

OP
OP

kanga80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Definitely a clutch issue. With so little miles, may I ask if you bought the car used? If not, how do you drive it? Post detailed info to try to guess why it happened.
I bought it brand new. I have a 1 mile commute to work, and every now and then I will drive it further into town/weekends. I drive it fast, but don’t beat on it. It just randomly started, it didnt like slowly start and then get worse over time.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Seems everyone has told you to investigate the clutch. No mechanic as you , well what do you think you should do next?
Sponsored