Sponsored

Wheel Spacers - Sources and Torque

soloracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
So I bought a set of 20mm "Steeda" wheel spacers that I am about to install. Doing a little research has led me to conclude that the Steeda spacers are the Coyote spacers rebranded (or unbranded since there are no brand markings on mine).

At any rate, I went on a quest for proper torque specs since I thought the instructions were a little unclear. In my search, I discovered that the instructions that came with mine are word for word identical to these, minus the word "Coyote":
https://www.coyoteaccessories.com/media//wysiwyg/BILLET ADAPTER.PDF

So I called Steeda and also chatted with CJ Pony Parts: Steeda said to torque spacers and wheels to 130-150 lb. ft. CJ Pony parts said to use 150 for both. Once I realized and verified by part number that these are indeed the same as the Coyote units, I decided to contact them as well. Below is what they said. I find it a little frustrating and perhaps I'm making too much of it. But after all the different answers, I'm inclined to use 100 lb. ft. for the adapter and 150 for the wheels. One would think it wouldn't be so hard to get some consistency on a single product.

Customer Service: I am verifying the information with our engineer
You: thanks
Customer Service: Adapter to the vehicle is 90 ft lbs . Adatper to wheel is OEM spec (150 ft lbs
Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I do 150 on both, but heed the warning not to use an impact gun. I have stripped the splines in the spacer and it required cutting the wheel off.

OP
OP

soloracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Yep. I never use an impact to tighten wheel nuts or nearly anything, really. I'll use it to spin them on a bit but stop before they make contact. I always tighten with a torque wrench. Impact guns can do nasty stuff!

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
So I bought a set of 20mm "Steeda" wheel spacers that I am about to install. Doing a little research has led me to conclude that the Steeda spacers are the Coyote spacers rebranded (or unbranded since there are no brand markings on mine).

At any rate, I went on a quest for proper torque specs since I thought the instructions were a little unclear. In my search, I discovered that the instructions that came with mine are word for word identical to these, minus the word "Coyote":
https://www.coyoteaccessories.com/media//wysiwyg/BILLET ADAPTER.PDF

So I called Steeda and also chatted with CJ Pony Parts: Steeda said to torque spacers and wheels to 130-150 lb. ft. CJ Pony parts said to use 150 for both. Once I realized and verified by part number that these are indeed the same as the Coyote units, I decided to contact them as well. Below is what they said. I find it a little frustrating and perhaps I'm making too much of it. But after all the different answers, I'm inclined to use 100 lb. ft. for the adapter and 150 for the wheels. One would think it wouldn't be so hard to get some consistency on a single product.

Customer Service: I am verifying the information with our engineer
You: thanks
Customer Service: Adapter to the vehicle is 90 ft lbs . Adatper to wheel is OEM spec (150 ft lbs
Depending on the year ... Ford continuously updates their settings, so keeping it consistent is very tough.

When we install the spacers at our facility, our tech team confirms the settings - that is the response you received from our team.

You may see, we no longer put torque settings in our instructions & point customers to Ford's torque specs after installation (since instructions can be obsolete soon after we print them).

Best Regards,

TJ

OP
OP

soloracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Depending on the year ... Ford continuously updates their settings, so keeping it consistent is very tough.

When we install the spacers at our facility, our tech team confirms the settings - that is the response you received from our team.

You may see, we no longer put torque settings in our instructions & point customers to Ford's torque specs after installation (since instructions can be obsolete soon after we print them).

Best Regards,

TJ
Thanks for the response, TJ. Thing about that approach is that Ford didn't make the spacers. When one source says torque the spacer to 90 ft. lbs and another says 150 for the same part, it's confusing and not confidence inspiring. The instructions have a torque range for the different stud sizes but the highest recommended torque is 95 for the 14mm (S550) studs.
Sponsored