Wheel spacers installed with impact wrench

Baso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bassem
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 2016 Mustang V6
I put on 1 inch billet hubcentric spacers yesterday all around. Had a shop do it because I lack the right tools, but the worker there ended up using an impact wrench to tighten the lug nuts on the spacers and wheels. At first I thought it was ok since it tightened well but a bit of googling led me to learn it was bad to overtighten. Should I take it back after the 50-100 miles period and retighten them appropriately? Problem is I went to two different shops and specifically asked for the job to be done with a torque wrench but it seems no shop carries it in my country, tighty is how they operate here... Would you recommend doing the job myself with the factory wrench and jack? I'm concerned about the lug nuts not going off with the factory wrench because of the torque that was applied to them though.

Edit: it seems I posted this in the wrong section. Admin if you could delete this thread thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Yes, you should most definitely check the torque and then install them with a torque wrench at the proper value. You risk destroying the studs, nuts and/or wheels big hitting them with an air impact wrench at 250+

Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
I put on 1 inch billet hubcentric spacers yesterday all around. Had a shop do it because I lack the right tools, but the worker there ended up using an impact wrench to tighten the lug nuts on the spacers and wheels. At first I thought it was ok since it tightened well but a bit of googling led me to learn it was bad to overtighten. Should I take it back after the 50-100 miles period and retighten them appropriately? Problem is I went to two different shops and specifically asked for the job to be done with a torque wrench but it seems no shop carries it in my country, tighty is how they operate here... Would you recommend doing the job myself with the factory wrench and jack? I'm concerned about the lug nuts not going off with the factory wrench because of the torque that was applied to them though.

Edit: it seems I posted this in the wrong section. Admin if you could delete this thread thanks.
If you absolutely can't get ahold of a torque wrench for some reason, and I don't recommend this, but in a pinch if you place the vehicle on level ground and tighten the lug nuts until the car begins to rock, then give it just a little bit more, you should be pretty close. If I have to change a flat on the side of the road that's what I do, then I check the torque when I get home. It's usually very close. Won't help you with the nuts on the spacers though.
Sponsored