Sponsored

BBK Headers Installed

DJGold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2015 V6 Manual (3.55 diff)
So I got my shorty BBK headers installed. They are for Mustang 2011-2014 V6 but they fit perfectly. It took 2 hours to install and some bolts were a bitch but it ended up ok. I have a custom magnaflow axleback installed as well. As we've seen with Zack, removing the factory mufflers has yielded some nice power gains. The headers have added some low to mid range punch but not too much extra sound. I'm having a hard time testing the car out since it's been -13 fahrenheit up here for the past week. I'll post a video when the weather warms up.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! Pics?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
So you did notice some low end improvement? And about the sound.... I know you said it doesn't "add" much sound but does it change it at all? Make it more aggressive? I have been debating whether or not to get these or save up for some leather seats...

OP
OP
DJGold

DJGold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No pics yet. To answer your question Zack, they do produce a more raspy note when cold but it's not too noticible or annoying. The car sounds a bit louder at idle but it doesn't produce drone. The car does sound different, you hear something changed. There seems to be more power high lows to high mids. The rpm seems to whip up faster but it might be just me. The sound with the exhaust is incredible when cranking up to revs. I'm thinking about removing the center suitcase and replacing it with custom resonators. Maybe some high flow cats as well. I'm thinking I need more airflow coming in but I don't trust aftermarket air boxes. I'll go with KNN type drop in filters when they come out and modify the factory air box.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the response! Like I said before I have been trying to decide what I want to save for.... I am still just not completely sold on the headers... I want to wait to see what long tube headers and high flow cats sound like with the stock suitcase.... Could be a very interesting and aggressive note without being to raspy like the 11-14's. That and I would like to see where they add power and if it hurts the low end at all again like they did on the 11-14's...

I have been getting quite upset with the lack of aftermarket support for our V6 thus far.... Plenty of R&D being done on the GT and EcoBoost while our V6 is left out in the cold.... Only a few small parts and carry over parts are available.... Like you said I to have been considering modifying the stock air box. The inlet tube looks good enough but that damn filter design is terrible... A higher flowing filter design will do wonders I think! It is just a question on whether or not that would require a tune...

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I just want a CAI for the sound, the small power gains are a bonus.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
If you need a K&N panel filter, give me a call, we have what you need. Also we can show you how to modify the airbox to get more air into it and also the CAI intake sound. We found during initial dyno testing that the stock airbox and filter are restrictive, we saw 14 RWTQ increase by removing the airbox and air filter. The K&N panel filter and airbox mods are an inexpensive way to get most of that. Of course slight modifications are required but we can provide the basic instructions, its pretty simple.
It would be great if you can send a set of instructions my way! What kind of effects did this filter and modification have on the V6? What type of power increase if any? Did it require a tune afterwards to correct the A/F ratio?

Last edited:

VickZhng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Mustang v6 auto W/ 051A pack
Does the BBK headers void the warrenty?

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
If you need a K&N panel filter, give me a call, we have what you need. Also we can show you how to modify the airbox to get more air into it and also the CAI intake sound. We found during initial dyno testing that the stock airbox and filter are restrictive, we saw 14 RWTQ increase by removing the airbox and air filter. The K&N panel filter and airbox mods are an inexpensive way to get most of that. Of course slight modifications are required but we can provide the basic instructions, its pretty simple.
I too would be intersted in this info on modifying the the stock air box on my V6. Did you Dyno a V6, or was your 14 RWTQ increase (by removing airbox completely) gain on a GT or EB? If you prefer not to post on this thread, please PM me along with Zack. :)
Thank,
Dave

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd also be interested in the airbox modification instructions you speak of.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DJGold

DJGold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd also be interested in the airbox modification instructions you speak of.
Same here. I have the K&N filter installed. Gimme the air box mod svp.

VIN666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Subd

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
DJ,
Oops, from my question to you on the other exh. thread, I forgot you added headers already. How would you describe the drone or lack there of:
1) With just your 11365 mufflers (w/ 35124 tips)
2) after BBK Shorty headers installed

I was surprised I hear almost no popping on deceleration with OEM manifolds. With headers do the individual cylinders exhaust pulses add some popping on deceleration?

Did you do the header install with car on jack stands or on a lift. I am debating whether to try this install just using jack stands. Maybe for stability I can use ramps on one end. Wondering if it would be helpful to get 6" or so more height by placing jack stands on a brick base.

PS. Zack heard back from Tom Y. He was basically trying to sell a kit or have hime ship his box to him to mod. I thought Tom Y was offering to share the 'how to' mod on the stock air box. He was not. Zack said it was basically cutting a hole in the side of the airbox and adding an intake towards the fender.

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
2015 Twin Turbo Mustang V6
I just bought and received my BBK shorty headers, my dad is all over my butt about how its going to void the warranty and me being the son..im ignoring his advice. I called my dealership and it does in fact void my warranty but my question is how reliable are these cyclone engines once you put these headers on them? I use my car as a daily driver and I am scared of something going wrong and warranty not being there to cover the costs of any damage but realistically what could go wrong?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought and received my BBK shorty headers, my dad is all over my butt about how its going to void the warranty and me being the son..im ignoring his advice. I called my dealership and it does in fact void my warranty but my question is how reliable are these cyclone engines once you put these headers on them? I use my car as a daily driver and I am scared of something going wrong and warranty not being there to cover the costs of any damage but realistically what could go wrong?
The only thing it'll void the warranty on is the headers themselves and the joints they connect to. Outside of that, there is no reason it would void anything else. The engine mapping and protection strategies are unmodified, and because of that, there is no reason they could void anything else in the powertrain. They would have to prove that somehow the headers caused a failure before denying warranty.

To answer your other question, the 3.7 is an excellent engine and is very reliable. The minor power gain from the headers won't change that and if anything it will probably run better because the equal length design will increase scavenging.
Sponsored