Whats my friend need to win at shows?

Joshephooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016
I'd star with wheels and a wing of some sort. Lights go Mishimoto and get some Euro tails.

Beyond that, some stripes, a hood and fenders, or bumper and diffuser could help.

What you have to do is make and keep a theme. If you go multiple directions it is easy to tell and looks weird.
Sponsored

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
It might be more cost effective to ditch all the ideas of how to make a V6 a winning show car, save that money and buy a GT/M1/Shelby or similar car.
Finally someone said it lol. Why dump all this money into a v-6 mustang?

Ralph Sizzle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
1993 Mustang 5.0 LX HB -- 2022 Mach 1 HP FJG Elite
Personally , I think it would be a waste of money to do any mods on a V6 car. Just enjoy the car as is. Save those 10's of thousands of dollars and upgrade to the very least a base model GT. Financially speaking, it just doesn't make any sense to me. I've been to like 40+ car shows, mainly Ford/Mustang themed, and have never seen a V6 car win. At the end of the day, its his car and he can choose to waste his money however he likes LOL. That being said, I do have several ideas to improve its chances, but it would be like $10k+ in mods to start.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I showed mine since 2015 and nothing but gentle compliments. I did a total makeover over winter and took 3rd place "Best Modern Muscle Car" at the Saratoga Automobile Museum last week. It took a total wrap job, new grill, wheels, upholstery, badging, and engine bling. Point is, you need to be unique and stand out, not just a nice shiny car.
3rd place.jpg
351168074_793879435476732_2376070504984731478_n.jpg
IMG_20230603_132222806_HDR.jpg
You are right. Another thing I’ve noticed a difference with is who judges the show. If it’s contestants judging I might get a mention , but I’ve won my class more than once when it is judged by spectators or show organizers. There are the regulars who vote for their buddies a lot of the time, so there’s that. No big deal to me, I just enjoy participating.

Yep, can’t easily compete against 60s models. That’s life. You have to enter your car strategically in regard to how the classes are arranged.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JoeSpeed

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
Trade it in for the white Datsun/Nissan 300ZX (Z31) on the right! :wink:
That's a proper V6. 🤷‍♂️
I wish, that was 2yrs ago, not sure where it is

My Choom considered a V8 swap as well, considering how he had her brand new and shit, messing around asking a local shop what a decent swap would cost xP

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
I did the car show thing for a long time. Built some national winner show cars. I don't do the show thing anymore, but if it's a popular vote show - it's a crap shoot. A judged event is better, where quality, attention to detail and cleanliness should be the deciding factors to a judge. Engine shouldn't make a bit of difference at a judged show.

The last car I restored is the 1972 Plymouth Scamp my grandma bought new. 225 slant six. This car truly cleaned house at the shows and went as far as the top award in the AACA, Grand National Senior...even got a nearly perfect score at the Chrysler Carlisle SME. The first show Scamp went to after her restoration was a smaller local show judged by a car club. She got Best of Show. While looking around at the show, I overheard 2 'vette guys say that they'd have no problem "losing to the little Plymouth".

It's most important to remember that while you may win an award, your car is your trophy. My best advice...make the car clean, clean, clean....

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I did the car show thing for a long time. Built some national winner show cars. I don't do the show thing anymore, but if it's a popular vote show - it's a crap shoot. A judged event is better, where quality, attention to detail and cleanliness should be the deciding factors to a judge. Engine shouldn't make a bit of difference at a judged show.

The last car I restored is the 1972 Plymouth Scamp my grandma bought new. 225 slant six. This car truly cleaned house at the shows and went as far as the top award in the AACA, Grand National Senior...even got a nearly perfect score at the Chrysler Carlisle SME. The first show Scamp went to after her restoration was a smaller local show judged by a car club. She got Best of Show. While looking around at the show, I overheard 2 'vette guys say that they'd have no problem "losing to the little Plymouth".

It's most important to remember that while you may win an award, your car is your trophy. My best advice...make the car clean, clean, clean....
I always make everything visible spotless (and some things that aren’t). It’s a lot of work but it will make even a daily driver look good. I’ve seen filthy cars at shows and thought it lazy. I mean, spectators don’t want to see something as dirty as what they drove up in. Unless… it’s like a barn-find Mustang a guy brought to a show one time. That was fascinating to see with those years of dust and grime. Knowing it was in the original state (think he had just acquired it). Or a Frankenstein creation that is one of a kind. Those are interesting no matter what. But cleaned up, even better!

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
My Choom considered a V8 swap as well, considering how he had her brand new and shit, messing around asking a local shop what a decent swap would cost xP
To be honest, such an engine swap actually only makes sense if the desired combination was not available from the factory or if it is very rare.
In this case, other things are also missing, such as the large Brembo brake.
You can get all of this at a lower price and with less suffering if you trade in the V6 and get a GT PP directly.

Something like that only makes sense if he wanted a GT350 or GT500 convertible, for example.
That was not available from the factory, neither for money nor for good words.
Or a 3.5 l V6 Twin-Turbo EcoBoost Fastback, but even then a PP vehicle would be a better starting point.

Why not just have what you have and enjoy it.
What's the point of these shows, he should simply go on a nice road trip and enjoy it.
I just drove 2,200 miles through Scotland with my wife, which would have been just as much fun with a base V6 as it was with the Bullitt.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
JoeSpeed

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
To be honest, such an engine swap actually only makes sense if the desired combination was not available from the factory or if it is very rare.
In this case, other things are also missing, such as the large Brembo brake.
You can get all of this at a lower price and with less suffering if you trade in the V6 and get a GT PP directly.

Something like that only makes sense if he wanted a GT350 or GT500 convertible, for example.
That was not available from the factory, neither for money nor for good words.
Or a 3.5 l V6 Twin-Turbo EcoBoost Fastback, but even then a PP vehicle would be a better starting point.

Why not just have what you have and enjoy it.
What's the point of these shows, he should simply go on a nice road trip and enjoy it.
I just drove 2,200 miles through Scotland with my wife, which would have been just as much fun with a base V6 as it was with the Bullitt.
That’s the plan. Hes starting small atm, Diode Demon eyes/6000k and coolant expansion tank, maybe side louvers

he’s got her as a gift to himself so he’s just gonna slowly tinker away

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
That’s the plan. Hes starting small atm, Diode Demon eyes/6000k and coolant expansion tank, maybe side louvers
Just make sure they are mods that he wants to do, rather than mods that he thinks he should do to please others.

I would never put anything on my car just to please others :like:

Remember that with most mods there is also a downside or compromise, it will all be for nothing if he ends up with a car he doesn't like and / or one that doesn't suit his personal driving style or image etc :like:

WD :like:

BabyDoc1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Lighting XLT, ‘21 Expedition, ‘22 Mach 1
I would stay away from the V8 swap. If he has the money for the swap, use it as a down payment on a GT. I’ve seen V8 swapped base mustangs and they never look right and every car guy and judge at the show will know and will probably cost points instead of win points. As some else said turning it into something no available from factory would help, but then again the money to do that properly would be crazy expensive.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Trade it in for the white Datsun/Nissan 300ZX (Z31) on the right! :wink:
That's a proper V6. 🤷‍♂️
Oh come on, the 3.7 cyclone is an incredible V6, lol. Great output and powerband, with toyota levels of reliability. It doesn't give the warm and fuzzies like a V8, but it's pretty stout.

The real problem with the S550 V6's is that they removed all options. All you get is the most base model rental spec everything that's possible. Trying to turn that into a "show car" is just asking for bankruptcy.

OP
OP
JoeSpeed

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
I would stay away from the V8 swap. If he has the money for the swap, use it as a down payment on a GT. I’ve seen V8 swapped base mustangs and they never look right and every car guy and judge at the show will know and will probably cost points instead of win points. As some else said turning it into something no available from factory would help, but then again the money to do that properly would be crazy expensive.
Yeah, gonna figure out whether to procharge or Turbo instead
Sponsored