What oil are you using?

What Oil are you using?

• Total voters

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
castrol and pennzoil make good synthetics also. Walmart has excellent prices on full synthetics in the 5qt jugs
Sponsored

Walt1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP 50th Anniversary
Amsoil 5W-20 signature series done at 1k, will most likely be going amsoil 0w-20 or 0W-30 signature series at 5k and all future changes. Dont know why anyone would want to run 10w over 5w or 0w

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT Premium PP
Amsoil 5W-20 signature series done at 1k, will most likely be going amsoil 0w-20 or 0W-30 signature series at 5k and all future changes. Dont know why anyone would want to run 10w over 5w or 0w
extremely novice question but the benefit would be what, of running 0w over 5w-20? Always had synthetic put in my car, but never nice enough to care really what they did or anything.

If I buy Mobile 1 full synthetic at Walmart it's onl ylike $25 for 5 qts, and if you buy 2 I think you get a filter. That seems good to me, but like I said I don't know much. Royal purple is $38 for 5 qt. so Im just wondering what the benefit is, if there is one of course i'll do it. Just trying to gain some knowledge.

:cheers:

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
yellow bottle hd30

Lowrider

Drive Fast...Live Slow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A poorman's coupe
For those using the dealership for oil changes, how much does it cost for an oil change on a GT with full synthetic?

Sponsored

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
For those using the dealership for oil changes, how much does it cost for an oil change on a GT with full synthetic?
Mine quoted me $75 for full. But I went with the blend for $45, I didn't see a $30 difference.

vogtaction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium ecoboost auto mustang
I used valvoline full synthetic on my first oil change. I now wonder after resetting the oil life in the computer if i really needed to change it thoug???. It had 6000 miles on it but the oil life said 44 percent left.. Just curious, I do a lot of highway driving.

Walt1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP 50th Anniversary
extremely novice question but the benefit would be what, of running 0w over 5w-20? Always had synthetic put in my car, but never nice enough to care really what they did or anything.

If I buy Mobile 1 full synthetic at Walmart it's onl ylike $25 for 5 qts, and if you buy 2 I think you get a filter. That seems good to me, but like I said I don't know much. Royal purple is $38 for 5 qt. so Im just wondering what the benefit is, if there is one of course i'll do it. Just trying to gain some knowledge.

:cheers:
Oil thins out alot as it heats up. in a 5w-20, the 5w is how it acts when cold and the 20 is how it act when the engine is at operating temp. However, a 0W oil at room temperature is still thicker than a 50 weight oil at operating temp. Oil thins out when it gets hot so it doesn't really matter what the grade is, its always thicker when colder than hot. A heavy oil that hot is thicker than a light oil thats cold, thats how big the change it undergoes as it heats up. So going thicker than 0W or 5W doesn't really make much sense. Some people will state that a 10w-30 breaks down less than a 0w-30 which is true but if your using a full synthetic and change it at a decent interval there wouldnt be any issue with breakdown anyway, only need to worry about break down with conventional oils

All personal preference, youll see some that swear by 10w-30, some 5w-20, others 0W-30.. its all about what you think you know about oil. Until someone can demonstrate to me why a 10w-30 would be a better option than 0W-30, I go with what I know is best

The difference between 5w-20 and 0w-20 for full synthetics isnt much but cold flow will be noticeably better with a 0w if you drive your car in the winter and its mostly below freezing. 0W really shines at negative temperatures but there really isnt any downside to running it all the time

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
^ Dude...you know your oils! I believe everything in your post to be true. I worked for 30 years for a major oil company and represented one of the largest motor oil bottlers in the world, so I looked very closely at your post and found that you are "spot on". By the way, I use Royal Purple in my Mustangs even though I own stock in many of the other brands. Yea, it's that good. Thanks Walt1120.

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
Oil thins out alot as it heats up. in a 5w-20, the 5w is how it acts when cold and the 20 is how it act when the engine is at operating temp. However, a 0W oil at room temperature is still thicker than a 50 weight oil at operating temp. Oil thins out when it gets hot so it doesn't really matter what the grade is, its always thicker when colder than hot. A heavy oil that hot is thicker than a light oil thats cold, thats how big the change it undergoes as it heats up. So going thicker than 0W or 5W doesn't really make much sense. Some people will state that a 10w-30 breaks down less than a 0w-30 which is true but if your using a full synthetic and change it at a decent interval there wouldnt be any issue with breakdown anyway, only need to worry about break down with conventional oils

All personal preference, youll see some that swear by 10w-30, some 5w-20, others 0W-30.. its all about what you think you know about oil. Until someone can demonstrate to me why a 10w-30 would be a better option than 0W-30, I go with what I know is best

The difference between 5w-20 and 0w-20 for full synthetics isnt much but cold flow will be noticeably better with a 0w if you drive your car in the winter and its mostly below freezing. 0W really shines at negative temperatures but there really isnt any downside to running it all the time
Man This is incredible, exactly what I needed to hear. I had very little knowledge before this post haha.

So what would be the venefit of a 5w-20 over a 0w-20 or something? i live in texas, it RARELY is below freezing, so I'm not worried as much about it during the cold. So essentially what is the benefit of having it be thicker than not?

I'm trying to figure out what oil to use for my change this weekend, royal purple is like $38 for 5 qt, where as mobile 1 is $25 for 5qt. not a huge difference, but if the quality isn't a huge difference, I don't see the point. I have heard great things bout royal purple though. Now that you're mentioning 0w-30 I'm contemplating everything haha:frusty: tell me your secrets!!:headbang:

Sponsored

phrenetiK

IF YOU QUOTE PICS I H8 U
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaros Race Red
using pennzoil platinum ultra - car is running well.

Lowrider

Drive Fast...Live Slow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A poorman's coupe
The most crucial part of lubrication is at start up. If you are using a heavier weight than the manufactures recommended...You are likely having minimal wear on the internals due to the tolerances ...that is to say using 0w vs 5W....Just saying.

However, I'm surprised Mob1 works well for the Coyote yet in other motors like the Subaru EJ 257 it was a No-Go shitty oil.

[ame]

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
The most crucial part of lubrication is at start up. If you are using a heavier weight than the manufactures recommended...You are likely having minimal wear on the internals due to the tolerances ...that is to say using 0w vs 5W....Just saying.

However, I'm surprised Mob1 works well for the Coyote yet in other motors like the Subaru EJ 257 it was a No-Go shitty oil.

That's also a very informative post. I had no idea that could happen either. so putting lets say mobile 1 in there, 5w-20 would run the car like the manufacturer intended AND be noticeably superior to whatever they put in it from the factory?

Lowrider

Drive Fast...Live Slow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A poorman's coupe
^Yes...full synthetic will provide better protection and more longevity out of the motor's life. Holding other factors constant.

Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche 911 Turbo S & 2016 Shelby GT350R
The main reason why a lot of people have been using Amsoil Signature Series 10w30 has been it's black stone lab reports and it's group 4/5 add packs as well as its NOACK volatility rating vs. their 0w30 and 5w30 offerings.

Since then Amsoil has revised their 0w30, and has also created 0w40 and 5w50 which all use similar add packs and have been getting similar ratings. They have also revised their 5w20 and 0w20. Personally I would not run a 20 weight oil in a coyote if you drive it hard. The TiVCT system in the coyote is not similar to the VCT found in the 3v engines that required specific oil weights for activation reasons. The TiVCT found in the coyote engine is based off oil pressure which is controlled by an electronically controlled solenoid. Oil weight plays zero factor on this.

There is no difference in weight in a 0w30, 5w30, and 10w30 at operating temp, the 0w, 5w, and 10w ratings are only weights at freezing.
Sponsored