What oil are you using?

What Oil are you using?

• Total voters

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Anybody using Motorcraft's 5W20 ? Is it any good ? And who really makes it ?

Any idea why Ford recommends synthetic blend one and full synthetic is listed as optional ?

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Anybody using Motorcraft's 5W20 ? Is it any good ? And who really makes it ?

Any idea why Ford recommends synthetic blend one and full synthetic is listed as optional ?
I am running their full synthetic and oil filter.

Conoco Philips makes the Motorcraft oil.

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
Nothing but the best for my pony.:D

Sponsored

NavyChief

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
GT Mustang TY
Royal purple 5w-20 Hps and filter. Best oil I have ever used. Screw amsoil and it's pyramid sales scheme and Mobil 1 is crap now.
image.jpg

Thinkn3D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT/PP, 66 Fairlane XL390
Motorcraft 5w-20 Synthetic Blend, FL550s filter

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have been using Mobil 1 since it came out in the early 70's and it is still my preferred choice but these days I buy what ever synthetic that is on sale at Walmart.

For oil filters I most often buy Motorcraft even for my Mopars, they are made by Purolator and are always reasonably price. I also purchase Purolator and Bosch (another Purolator manufactured filter).

Sponsored

m6pwr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pkg,Recaros
The logic is that the engine will break-in (wear) faster with non-synthetic oil.

Most people that are anal about lubricants will put at least 1000 miles on the factory fill and then change out to a synthetic of their choice.

Some engines come with synthetic oil from the factory so take it for what its worth.
Yes, for years the BMW M cars have what to all appearances is a conventional (non-syn) break-in oil in the sump. On the naturally-aspirated M motors the service fill has always been 10w60, but a uoa on the factory fill showed a 5w30 with a very modest detergent and anti-wear pack - apparently an oil deliberately intended to promote quick but controlled wear or seating of the rings/bores.

Then BMW required the factory fill to be changed at 1200 miles to the service fill of 10w60 - which was largely responsible for the myth (at least among the BMW crowd) that you need to drain the factory fill early to wash out wear metals. At 1200 miles? The drains I did showed very limited wear metals at 1200 miles.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
apparently an oil deliberately intended to promote quick but controlled wear or seating of the rings/bores.
When they started using moly faced rings back in the 80's seating rings became a thing of the past. On a modern engine the rings are seated within seconds of the engine starting.

m6pwr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pkg,Recaros
When they started using moly faced rings back in the 80's seating rings became a thing of the past. On a modern engine the rings are seated within seconds of the engine starting.
Well that's comforting to know - particularly considering how car salesmen encourage their customers to beat the crap out of a new Mustang on the test drive. On one Mustang PP I test drove recently (car had 40 mi on the clock), the salesman bragged that a previous customer (a young Marine) got that car up to 110 mph on his test drive (hopefully the Marine got the engine up to operating temp before he dropped the hammer).

Coyotestang13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang 5.0 MT82 3.73