Sponsored

what new mods actually give real performance?

OP
OP
27RED

27RED

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Its a manual. Appreciate the feedback. Ordering a mid pipe, tune and a AEM or Steeda Drop in filter. This should make me a bit happier.
Sponsored

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Get a supercharger man. You’ll smile every time you take it out for a spin. I’ve done all bolt ons before, shit adds up and you’re still pretty slow. Save it!

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
How about a bit of weight loss? Not sure why everyone puts such a premium on big horsepower numbers and not less weight.

The 5.0 is plenty powerful. Lack of power isn't its issue. Being burdened with excessive weight is, especially over the front end. Unlike adding power, which only helps you in a straight line (and may even hinder you in the corners if you're adding a heavy supercharger on the nose), cutting weight will benefit straight line, cornering, and braking performance.

I'd recommend cheap weight loss measures like rear seat delete, miscellaneous cover deletes (engine cover, coil covers, battery cover, radiator cover) sound tube delete, windshield washer fluid reservoir and lines delete (only if your car is a non daily driver/not driven in winter car), hood heat/sound shield delete, active grille shutter delete, etc.

If you're willing to spend some money, you can lose even more weight through purchasing a carbon fiber hood, carbon fiber or aluminum drive shaft, lightweight forged wheels, lightweight brake kit, lightweight fixed driver and passenger seats, lightweight exhaust, etc.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I vote for E85 as most do, but also think of putting up the bucks for a good set of forged wheels which can result in a significant decrease in rotational mass. That's my next mod - stock, cast wheels are heavy.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Get a supercharger man. You’ll smile every time you take it out for a spin. I’ve done all bolt ons before, shit adds up and you’re still pretty slow. Save it!
Can't agree more.

Sponsored

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
I'm not sure what kind of roads are in and around where you typically drive, but mild suspension upgrades pay a huge dividend for the money invested. I have added Vorshlag Camber Plates, Steeda Progressive Rate Lowering Springs, ForgeStar F-14 Wheels - 19" x 11" with 305-30-19 Bridgestone RE 71 R tires at all four corners, (wheels are a proprietary offset both front and rear...order through Vorshlag so tires are flush with fender openings). This setup is not only great on the track, but windy country back roads also! A different kind of "G"!

SiddVicious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Kona Blue
I think one of the best things you can do besides e85 tune, even with a PP1 it's worth it to get the Steeda stop the hop kit. You'll be able to easily keep all that power to the ground.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Beefcake has 15% off on Whipples still I think. That means you can get the entire stage 1, gen 5 kit complete for a bit over $6K. 775 HP at the crank. 650-675 at the wheels. A super deal. I have had so many Mustangs and did tune, then headers, etc, etc. Nothing can beat a good supercharger. Whether you go Whipple, Ford, Edelbrock, Vortech, etc. You just can't get the drivability and power together with all those bolt ons. If you like loud, OK. But you still just can't beat FI.
I would do a tune ONLY. First. If you are not happy or get used to the power, go FI. All the other NA stuff which will cost a few thousand will still leave you short of FI power and you will likely end up there anyway.

Congratulations on your new ride regardless. Very nice car!

Don't waste your money on a driveshaft. The axle shafts on the stick cars have upgraded drivers side which broke on the earlier S550s. The autos still have the weak AS so that is easy to upgrade with just a stock manual drivers side shaft. The stock driveshaft is quiet and durable. Aftermarket is noisier and another grand or so.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I just saw that you have a manual. Sorry didn't notice that before. The auto is MUCH faster. I have both and the manual (Bullitt) needed the blower bad. The gearing is so bad on the '18 up that you are virtually never going to match an a10 car without serious power. They shift wonderfully and a blast to drive, but you put a whipple or some other FI PD blower and you will be in happy time!

Sponsored

tryhard760

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guillermo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I don’t have any performance mods but almost done with all of my suspension mods. Car feels more planted and handles really well. Digital dash is one of my favorite mods. Eventually I’ll do headers and E85.
What suspension mods have you done to your s550

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide