gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
thanks for the likes, suppose folks rather chat about mods and gripes vs. good vibes at the track. I tried to keep the clip short to not bore folks. Either way I'm having a great summer this year! Gingerman next weekend!

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
What mode did you have the car in? It sounded like you had an instructor in the car with you? I did an Advanced Driving Course at pacific raceways many years ago and it was one of the funnest things I've ever done. We had to keep all the computer nannies turned on. At the time I had a 2011 with the 3.7L engine and it flew around the track. I can't imagine what my current car would be like.

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
I did have an instructor, cool guy too drove a BMW M3 totally tracked out. I was in Track mode but with Traction control on. Still did some good sliding around the turns when pushing it hard. I've Solo'd before. What I've learned on the track is the A10 shift points are a bit harsh in Sport and way better in Track mode.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Looks like Putnam has new brake markers closer to the track since I was there last. Something they really needed IMO.

WHIT, all your turn ins and track outs are too early, just sayin'.

Luv ya, brother.

Sponsored

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
Looks like Putnam has new brake markers closer to the track since I was there last. Something they really needed IMO.

WHIT, all your turn ins and track outs are too early, just sayin'.

Luv ya, brother.
You 2nd guessing my instructor? ;-)

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I did have an instructor, cool guy too drove a BMW M3 totally tracked out. I was in Track mode but with Traction control on. Still did some good sliding around the turns when pushing it hard. I've Solo'd before. What I've learned on the track is the A10 shift points are a bit harsh in Sport and way better in Track mode.
I agree with the harsh shifts in sport mode. Strange, you'd think the shifts would get firmer as you moved up to the more aggressive modes.

I was thinking a similar thing to what GTP said. And although I can only assume throttle position from the sound of your exhaust it sounded like you coasted a bit through some of the corners, I could be wrong. We were taught to never coast and unload the suspension, you're either accelerating, braking or maintaining speed. Keep enough throttle through the corners to hold the car in a squat position, once it unloads the car will start to float.

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
I agree with the harsh shifts in sport mode. Strange, you'd think the shifts would get firmer as you moved up to the more aggressive modes.

I was thinking a similar thing to what GTP said. And although I can only assume throttle position from the sound of your exhaust it sounded like you coasted a bit through some of the corners, I could be wrong. We were taught to never coast and unload the suspension, you're either accelerating, braking or maintaining speed. Keep enough throttle through the corners to hold the car in a squat position, once it unloads the car will start to float.
Changing to Track mode was from both instructors I've had so far. They didn't like the Sport shift points and Track is better, less harsh or jerky shift points. It might sound like coasting but trust me with an instructor next to me it was maintenance throttle all the way each time. Maybe not as much throttle as more experienced drivers likely? that was one lap, I did do some sliding into track out on the tighter turns even with TC on.

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I suppose I am.
Remember I'm learning and "improving" , I haven't graduated to a yellow wrist band, yet. fwiw at the end of our last session my instructor pointed out the wear on my sidewalls and said that shows I've been picking up speed on the runs.

Sponsored

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Changing to Track mode was from both instructors I've had so far. They didn't like the Sport shift points and Track is better, less harsh or jerky shift points. It might sound like coasting but trust me with an instructor next to me it was maintenance throttle all the way each time. Maybe not as much throttle as more experienced drivers likely? that was one lap, I did do some sliding into track out on the tighter turns even with TC on.
That makes sense. Have fun and be safe :)

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
Appreciate all the well meant observations, really I do. Always be coachable is one of my motto's. In essence the thing that's so thrilling is actually being able to drive the GT the way (my best for now) it was built for. Legally too!

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Keep it up! I applaud you for going out there and enjoying your car in a safe, controlled environment. Add to it that you’re getting instruction to improve your skills, and I’m 100% in your corner. :clap:

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Did you watch your cylinder head temps? I'm wondering if that's really an issue for guys that aren't driving the car right to it's limit.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Did you watch your cylinder head temps? I'm wondering if that's really an issue for guys that aren't driving the car right to it's limit.
If you have a stock PP1 or PP2, it's not extremely hot outside, you're short-shifting at or under 6500 rpm, you should be fine. CHT's may start climbing up, but then you can always back off a bit and do a cooldown lap.
Sponsored