Sponsored

Is the car too heavy or is it my suspension?

Scott Wilson

s550 is life
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So my current setup is
Ford PerformanceTrack Shocks
Steeda Linears
Steeda Diff inserts
BMR Sways
BMR Endlinks
BMR Cradle lockout

the thing is the car loads up nicely into a turn but still feels like its floating/bouncing when transferring weight. My guess is even with the Ford Performance Track shocks the rebound is still too low and it might be time to switch to adj coil overs. Could this also be cause the car is so heavy and thats normal weight transfer that im not use to? Muy background is in lightweight miatas and 240s. This is the largest sports car Ive ever owned and Id like it to handle as well as my 240 did
Sponsored

jhols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
The shocks do transfer weight slowly which is nice for the street but bad for autocross and such. Would need some legit coilovers or koni's to fix the weight transfer. If money is no object you can get double adjustable coilovers (rebound and compression) and eliminate the problem period.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
konis should be a much better match for those springs and sways than the ford shocks, which were designed to pair with softer ford parts. The Konis OTOH were designed for stiffer lowering springs.

Plus with the Konis you can adjust a bit to fine tune for the feel you're looking for.

Sponsored

NWFreerider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2016 Silver GT PP
I have the Ford Racing Track Handling springs and shocks. I feel it rides and drives well. My first track day will be June 17th. I would be curious to know how Konis would change the ride and handling characteristics.

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
It's the front shocks/ springs

Imo most off the shelf options are too soft up front. When I got my coilovers with custom spring rates that "boat" feeling was gone

OP
OP
Scott Wilson

Scott Wilson

s550 is life
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'd like to get rid of it but not spend 2k in the process of doing so if I don't have too. Car rarely sees HPDE and mostly us used for autox and fun around town. Would some Taiwanese BCs or equivalent basic coilovers do the job?

I am not going to koni yellows because I highly doubt they will get rid of the floating feeling. The rebound length will still be the same as suspension travel won't change. At least that's what I think.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'd like to get rid of it but not spend 2k in the process of doing so if I don't have too. Car rarely sees HPDE and mostly us used for autox and fun around town. Would some Taiwanese BCs or equivalent basic coilovers do the job?

I am not going to koni yellows because I highly doubt they will get rid of the floating feeling. The rebound length will still be the same as suspension travel won't change. At least that's what I think.
Do what you want, but you're basically saying the problem isn't the problem. Its the dampers.

You really only have 2 options... Konis on your already quality parts list, or high dollar coilovers.

OP
OP
Scott Wilson

Scott Wilson

s550 is life
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Konis sound good however I've seen so many people toss them after a few years for basic coil overs.

Sponsored

destoups

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Des
Vehicle(s)
Crimson red EB PP 10A
I've got Konis on an EB I use mostly for autox. Jacking down the rebound fixes the float, certainly in autox situations for an otherwise stock car. If people toss Konis after a few years it's probably because they leak or need a revalve.

OP
OP
Scott Wilson

Scott Wilson

s550 is life
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My ride height is perfect. No plans on changing that. I'm just wondering if it's my spring rates aren't high enough as well. Does anyone know the steeda linear spring rates?

EcoBlue68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Impact Blue Ecoboost
A floaty feeling has to do with the weight of the vehicle and the roll gradient of the vehicle.

Focus on modifications that will decrease your vehicles reaction time.
aka parts that minimize suspension compliance
add front camber for camber thrust purposes
increase spring rates and anti roll bar rates to lower your roll gradient so that the car responds faster

Ultimately heavy cars will react slower because of all the roll/pitch/yaw inertias that they have however you can certainly get it to react much quicker than stock.

Also dampers are very misunderstood if you add a ton of damping to the car your going to make it slower.
Sponsored