Sponsored

What is the life expectancy of the stock intercooler?

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
First and foremost, YES I KNOW THE STOCK IC IS CRAP!. So please no one mention an aftermarket IC unless its comparing the life of it vs the stock one. Just wanted an idea on when Ford or anyone recommends replacing it (other than right when we buy the car lol).
Sponsored

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
I'm not sure the intercooler is really a "wearable" item in that it would need to be replaced...ever. Short of it being damaged or breaking a weld, it should last the life of the car, I would imagine.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Unless it gets contaminated somehow, it should last a long time, as long as the engine.

Garf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
From my experience, intercoolers are kind of a crap shoot. It all depends on how much wear they get. are you an area with shit roads? Is it beat up from rocks ect on the road? As far as effectiveness, if you maintain your car properly it wont be near the first thing to break down. it has no moving parts. I've seen intercoolers on 240s from the 90's that are still working (even with them being spray painted purple).

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

It's a big chunk of metal. As long as it doesn't get bent in a car accident or all the fins close up, it's fine. The only other scenario is the turbo seals let go. (Good thing this isn't a diesel, runaways suck) Big amounts of oil would reduce the effectiveness of the intercooler. Rubber pipes are the only thing to worry about. But not for 10+ years unless they see corrosive fluid.

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
IC will out last the engine, since the stock one heat soaks bad enough to cause knock, it will out last several engines and not in a good way.

EAndre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Base 6MT Recaros Sold
I have feeling he thinks people are replacing it cause it could break.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
First and foremost, YES I KNOW THE STOCK IC IS CRAP!. So please no one mention an aftermarket IC unless its comparing the life of it vs the stock one. Just wanted an idea on when Ford or anyone recommends replacing it (other than right when we buy the car lol).
Change the intercooler oil every 3000 miles, and flip it every 30,000 (like a mattress) and it should outlast the car.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
The intercooler would probably outlast the car given that it doesn't get damaged, e.g. flying road debris. The only part that I could see wearing would be the plastic end tanks and it would take a LONG time for that to degrade to the point of needing to be replaced.

I have to ask this as I'm genuinely curious now — why on earth are you worried about the life cycle of the stock intercooler?

Sponsored
OP
OP

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
The intercooler would probably outlast the car given that it doesn't get damaged, e.g. flying road debris. The only part that I could see wearing would be the plastic end tanks and it would take a LONG time for that to degrade to the point of needing to be replaced.

I have to ask this as I'm genuinely curious now — why on earth are you worried about the life cycle of the stock intercooler?

My buddy and I were talking about it. We're new to turbo cars so we were just wondering how long they actually last.

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
Plastic end tanks are the only areas on them that can wear, depending how high temperatures they are exposed to. The hot side is not the same kind of temp on all makes of cars due to the lengths of the pipes, pipe materials, turbo size etc.

The plumbing will develop leaks long before the IC does, and even if the IC does develop small leaks its not detrimental to its performance as say a leak in a radiator core.

I actually think the stock IC in the Ecoboost mustang is pretty good compared to other turbo cars ive seen with 2.5L or smaller engines. Its got good airflow going over it and its in a great position. Sure aftermarket are better but its a decent stock core, keeps inlet temps at a good range.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
My buddy and I were talking about it. We're new to turbo cars so we were just wondering how long they actually last.
Just like a radiator or A/C condenser, they last until they've eaten enough rocks or wrapped themselves around a tree.

EcoBoostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Life span on mine is about to the point of me getting irritated enough to drop the 5-6 bills and unbolt that bastard to put a new one in...