Sponsored

what is required when adding FI to pass emissions test?

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Got a 2020 with intent of hellion TT (found out turbos will not pass, sucks), live in an area where emissions testing is required (TX). Started looking at other options. Goal was street car into the high 9s.

Looking I found user with a P1X HO kit that has made more than enough to get where I'd like to be; figured problem solved. I thought CARB meant it passes emissions (didn't realize this is a certification specific to Cali). Read some other threads where it appears folks are running none-CARB kits but still able to pass emissions, if the tuner keeps everything turned on. So is any supercharger capable to passing emissions with the proper tune (assuming I don't destroy CATs with the extra power/heat, following a thread on that)? Also, plan on running E85 if that helps, readily available here. Ultimately I plan on using Beefcake, and will contact them but wanted to generically ask the question; trying to learn about FI.
Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Depends on how emissions are tested where you are but if something is CARB approved it will most likely pass anywhere. Emissions testing here (Portland metro area) are done looking for CEL codes and ready states of the emissions systems (EVAP, Second O2, etc). As long as the tuner leaves those systems turned on and you don't remove the cats you should be good.

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Depends on how emissions are tested where you are but if something is CARB approved it will most likely pass anywhere. Emissions testing here (Portland metro area) are done looking for CEL codes and ready states of the emissions systems (EVAP, Second O2, etc). As long as the tuner leaves those systems turned on and you don't remove the cats you should be good.
Looks like an OBD test in Texas, which sounds like what Portland does.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
If after you put in FI you have any decent tune you will pass TX emissions tests. Had 2 different 03 Terminators with 2.3 Whipple, replacement injectors, throttle body and air filter. Never had a problem while I was in Ft. Bend Co.

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
If after you put in FI you have any decent tune you will pass TX emissions tests. Had 2 different 03 Terminators with 2.3 Whipple, replacement injectors, throttle body and air filter. Never had a problem while I was in Ft. Bend Co.
Thanks, that opens up other options and possible future upgrades.

Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
That and I miss HEB. Groceries are insane over here...lol

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
If it is carb compliant it will pass in all 50 states.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
You pass like this. This is right after a reflash. EGR goes green pretty fast. I am installing an On3 single kit soon.

PXL_20210302_235947475.jpg

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
You pass like this. This is right after a reflash. EGR goes green pretty fast.

PXL_20210302_235947475.jpg
Do you pass emissions like that because in California you would have failed for a modified ecu

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
The only issue right after a flash is that typically it will take a number of drive cycles and miles for the computer to report an emissions ready state. Otherwise the car will throw a P1000 (system not ready) code when the emissions folks go to scan it and you fail.

But generally speaking, leave all the emissions monitors on, no check engine light, cats working well and you'll pass.

Easiest thing is to run a 50 state legal kit from a vendor (Procharger, Whipple etc) and run their tune as it's already been blessed by the EPA overlords. But third party tuners can work too as long as they leave all the emissions stuff alone.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Do you pass emissions like that because in California you would have failed for a modified ecu
Yep, once EGR is green and Fuel stays red, I can pass here in Texas. Fuel takes a while depending on what fuel level you're at.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
The only issue right after a flash is that typically it will take a number of drive cycles and miles for the computer to report an emissions ready state. Otherwise the car will throw a P1000 (system not ready) code when the emissions folks go to scan it and you fail.

But generally speaking, leave all the emissions monitors on, no check engine light, cats working well and you'll pass.
Even with my monitors all turned on and long tube headers, my HO2 and O2 never go ready. Catted, catless, spacers, no spacers. I never throw any codes ever. They just never go ready so I can't pass that way.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Even with my monitors all turned on and long tube headers, my HO2 and O2 never go ready. Catted, catless, spacers, no spacers. I never throw any codes ever. They just never go ready so I can't pass that way.
Interesting. The P1000 will not trip the check engine light. Which stinks because you just hope you drove around enough for it to go away.

In Illinois you don't pass unless the system reports a ready state and all monitors are happy.

Superman112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rafael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT performance package

Easiest thing is to run a 50 state legal kit from a vendor (Procharger, Whipple etc) and run their tune as it's already been blessed by the EPA overlords. But third party tuners can work too as long as they leave all the emissions stuff alone.
Too bad there’s no way to reload those type of tunes when it’s time for inspection and then just run a custom tune the rest of the year

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
Too bad there’s no way to reload those type of tunes when it’s time for inspection and then just run a custom tune the rest of the year

I myself don't see an issue with a tune, just so long as it doesn't shut off the rear O2 sensors. It's my impression that in one of the strictest states for emissions testing, CA where I live. When they read your OBD II port, all they are looking for is that all of the required monitors are reading "Ready". Beyond that, there is the visual and if you have a E.O sticker for that aftermarket equipment, you won't get dinged.

I highly doubt that the emissions testing facilities, has the equipment that has the capabilities to read the code and know that it's not stock. I don't think that even a dealer service dept has that capability.

I don't know why our ECUs can't have multiple maps, that can be changed on the fly. I came from the Ecoboost platform and there, you can have multiple maps loaded and all you have to do, is press the up and down arrows for the cruise control, with the cruise control off. Press a button, the tach needle will move to the 1,000rpm, 2,000 rpm, 3,000 rpm, etc. 1,000rpm = map 1, 2,000rpm = map 2, etc. IIRC, you can have around 5 maps in the ECU at one time, simple. No need to get your handheld device and reflash to another tune, unless you are adding another map.
Sponsored

Last edited: