Sponsored

What do you use to compress pistons on 6 piston Brembo brakes?

Bossdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Taking the caliper off to replace the pads totally defeats the quick change caliper design of being able to drop the pads in from the top.
Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Taking the caliper off to replace the pads totally defeats the quick change caliper design of being able to drop the pads in from the top.
I always thought that quick change feature to be pretty useless since you still have to remove the caliper to compress the pistons. Sounds like some people are able to but I think it's much faster/easier to just remove two bolts and compress them using a tool.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
All these tools, painful techniques, and gadgets….im the only person I know that does it this way, and it surprises me. Maybe because its a tad bit messier, but if you’re bleeding brakes anyways, I don’t see the issue…

I hook up my bleed tube to the bleeder, crack that open just the tiniest bit. Then you can push all the pistons in all the way with zero effort. Resnug your bleeder port.

Yes, it displaces that amount of fluid out the tube instead of pushing against all system pressure and back up into the reservoir. I’m bleeding anyways; don’t care. No, it doesn’t introduce air into the caliper.

Yes, I understand this technique isn’t always practical (maybe at the track), but it is the easiest, least invasive, imo.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
All these tools, painful techniques, and gadgets….im the only person I know that does it this way, and it surprises me. Maybe because its a tad bit messier, but if you’re bleeding brakes anyways, I don’t see the issue…

I hook up my bleed tube to the bleeder, crack that open just the tiniest bit. Then you can push all the pistons in all the way with zero effort. Resnug your bleeder port.

Yes, it displaces that amount of fluid out the tube instead of pushing against all system pressure and back up into the reservoir. I’m bleeding anyways; don’t care. No, it doesn’t introduce air into the caliper.

Yes, I understand this technique isn’t always practical (maybe at the track), but it is the easiest, least invasive, imo.
You win the prize, sir.
That is technically the way you are supposed to do it. My neighbor actually got debris stuck in his brake lines from pushing the pistons in without bleeding. Usually never happens but I suppose it can.

Sponsored

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
You win the prize, sir.
That is technically the way you are supposed to do it. My neighbor actually got debris stuck in his brake lines from pushing the pistons in without bleeding. Usually never happens but I suppose it can.
How did debris get in the lines from pushing the pistons back without opening the system? Did a seal dissolve?

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How did debris get in the lines from pushing the pistons back without opening the system? Did a seal dissolve?
No idea. It's possible though. The fluid gets dirty over time. Not a great idea to push that old, dirty fluid back into the system even though that's what everyone and their grandmother does, myself included.

I tried the "correct" way of opening the bleeder when compressing the pistons on my old beater car and it is much easier to do.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
No idea. It's possible though. The fluid gets dirty over time. Not a great idea to push that old, dirty fluid back into the system even though that's what everyone and their grandmother does, myself included.

I tried the "correct" way of opening the bleeder when compressing the pistons on my old beater car and it is much easier to do.
Its got to be that it had some moisture in it for a while. Brake fluid turns pretty acidic once it comes in contact with moisture. It probably started to eat away at the lines.

Bossdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2

Thank you for pointing out the obvious, I had not thought of that. I switch from track pad to street pad and the Street pad is (almost) always thicker than the street pad when I swap (unless I'm putting in fresh track pads) And, I'll be bleeding the brake fluid anyway, after a track weekend.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I use this, bought from rock auto: Lisle 29100

1707867412410.png
I have the Lisle tool as well. Works great!

On cars where I am not worried about the finish on the outside of the caliper I usually use a large pair of channel locks. It's fast and easy and I've never had an issue doing it that way.

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I take two pieces of wood and either a small pry bar, a large screw driver or a set of channel locks. These are really bougie problems. Some of you have never been shade tree mechanics and it shows:) And I'm being fancy because I don't want to mar/scar up the calipers, Southern engineers just pry them or plier them without the wood.

TRDFurgesson

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 N0426, 22 Bronco Wildtrak 2dr, 92 Yota 4x
Vehicle Showcase
I take two pieces of wood and either a small pry bar, a large screw driver or a set of channel locks. These are really bougie problems. Some of you have never been shade tree mechanics and it shows:) And I'm being fancy because I don't want to mar/scar up the calipers, Southern engineers just pry them or plier them without the wood.
That’s fine for my 30 year old Pre Taco 4x4 Toyota P/U but keep your dirty channel locks away from my 12k AP Racing calipers!!!

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
That’s fine for my 30 year old Pre Taco 4x4 Toyota P/U but keep your dirty channel locks away from my 12k AP Racing calipers!!!
That's what the wood is for and truth be told, you wouldn't be able to know the difference either way. Most of the time a couple small pieces of 1"x and a decent size screw driver is enough to push/pry the pistons apart.

TRDFurgesson

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 N0426, 22 Bronco Wildtrak 2dr, 92 Yota 4x
Vehicle Showcase
That's what the wood is for and truth be told, you wouldn't be able to know the difference either way. Most of the time a couple small pieces of 1"x and a decent size screw driver is enough to push/pry the pistons apart.
I’m just giving you a hard time. I never had any issues retracing pistons with more that the used pads and my hands. With the exception of the rear std brake I use the Maddox retractor.
Sponsored