Sponsored

What cars did you cross-shop before deciding on the Mustang?

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I compared it with a e92 335i, an e90 m3, and a m235i. obviously the GT won. I would have had to buy all the others used and my car with 7 miles on the odemeter for less then I would have paid for a BMW with 30k miles. WIN.
Sponsored

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
Previous sports car ive owned where bmw m3, evo8 rs , evo X mr. Then i was gonna choose evo x gsr but the moment i saw this car everything else was gone from my mine.

boolean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT-P
I almost bought a Hellcat (almost as in order in, but had a mid order financial priority).

To save cash I went to the Chevy dealer to hunt down a C6 Z06 (have had a few Z06's and am a pushrod guy), and walked away with my s550 that they had on the lot with 390 miles (at an insane price drop haha).

Things always work out in the end, and I am quite happy with this one!!!

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I have a good relationship with my dealer and ordered my car over the phone without having even seen an s550 in person. Stopped by later that week and drove one all of about 3 miles. I'm a Mustang guy from way back, though.

I still prefer the later years of the s197 to the new s550, but I wanted a new car vs a used one so I didn't have much choice. Wish I would have acted about a year ago when 2014 GTs were selling so cheap.

boolean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT-P
I still prefer the later years of the s197 to the new s550
Interesting... I have been back and forth on this one and totally see where you are coming from. I like the inside of this car (and the IRS) better, but the raw nature of the '14 is compelling too!

Sponsored

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I always struggle with bodystyle changes. The s550 look is beginning to grow on me but I really hated it at first. Still don't like how euro the car looks. And I'm one of the few purists who wish the Mustang still had a solid axle. The mustang (and Camaro and challenger for that matter) are now more proper sports cars than they are muscle cars. I know that makes them marketable to a larger demographic, but it's still kind of sad in a way.

bluefirestarter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue Mustang GT PP1 401a
I checked out a few cars before I picked up the EB.

V6 Camaro - I've been a GM fan my entire life so I tested this first. It was okay I'm not quite sure what it was really but I walked away feeling a bit meh about it. It was really hard to see out of it and the styling is pretty dated looking to me (as was the last gen stang) I did enjoy the V6 though.

WRX - I originally wanted this car the most then I drove it. Hated it. It was fast but it felt like a tarted up economy box and the interior was just awful. If I pay that much for a car it better have a nicer interior than my 20k Chevy Cruze. It felt like a sports car for a teenager. It was def the weakest of all the cars I tested styling wise.

GTI - Went to test drive one but the guys at the dealership I visited were terrible (rude/stuck up) Never test drove just got in my car and left.

EB Stang - Friend recommended I try it. I was surprised how much I liked it right from the get go. It was easily the best looking of all of them the styling had me hooked. I was worried about the EB engine being a dud but ended up loving it. I didn't like the fact the price would jump up nearly 5k to get Sync/SiriusXM but I liked this car substantially more than the others I tried. They had 0% financing which made the decision even easier.

blk_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO 2015 GT PP
I had a 14GT Premium and casually was looking for a Camaro 1LE to pop up in my price range until I drove my brother's scat pack challenger. I then was hellbent on picking one of those up. For that price range I also considered a CTSV (what I still really want) but couldn't find a used one I liked in my price range. Long story short, wound up driving a 15 PP GT and Ford offered the 0% for 72 and gave me a deal I couldn't refuse. Chevy and Dodge wouldn't budge even on used scat packs or 1LEs to even compete with Ford's incentives so I figured I would take the new car and run. Very glad I did.

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Toyota Prius Two Eco
2014 Mustang GT, 2014 Challenger SRT, 2015 Challenger Scat Pak.

I test drove a 2014 Challenger R/T with the 5.7. Nice, faster than anything I'd owned before, but it was a hefty car. For the same money, the Mustang was faster.

In order to get the Challenger equal to or faster than the GT, I'd have to opt up to the 6.4, which, before taxes or any options, would hit my $40k self-imposed limit.

Visibility is better in the Mustang. In fact, visibility is one of the reasons I didn't even look at the Camaro.

The 2014 Mustang was tempting - but the improved handling, aerodynamics, interior, and slightly improved power of the 2015 won me over, even if it did gain a little weight rather than losing weight, versus the 2014. Now if it had only been available in Gotta Have It Green....

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
I started to look for a 2014 Challenger Shaker, but it was so late into the model year that I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for in options and color, I didn't like the looks of the 2015 Challenger so the new 2015 Mustang GT/PP was an easy choice...:D

Sponsored

blk_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO 2015 GT PP
I cross shopped a few things:

Porsche 911 Turbo -- Some day, but after I forget how bad German cars are.
Porsche Panamera Turbo -- These fell to "well why not just get a Tesla".

Hellcat -- Really wanted one of these. I couldn't find one to buy, and wasn't going to pay ADM (just buy it used).

C6 Corvette -- They wouldn't let me test drive one. Chevy dealers treat these like diamonds at Walmart. They don't have anything more expensive and it shows. That and I still have a modified C4 ZR1 and a '78.

Used M6 Convertible -- after my S65, the wife was not about to let me buy another German car. ... but it was close. Nice car.

Sl65 -- what I really wanted, but can't have without a warranty. Wounds still too fresh from my S65 :)

Tesla -- still want one....

I actually just dropped by a Ford dealer just to check the box "tried the Mustang" and was really surprised at how much both we liked it (especially my wife). I thought it about 100HP shy of what it needed so I supercharged it, although I do miss the free revving nature of the stock engine and really need a strut tower brace that fits over a PD blower (has lots of cowl shake now). Regardless, I love the Mustang so doubt I'll get a new toy for a long time. ... which for me is at least 3 years. :)

I've also been blown away at how many people love the car. I haven't had another car random people love as much as this one.
That's funny, I have a buddy who went and test drove a new C6 Grand Sport a year or two ago and they didn't even blink or go with him. He tried driving a 15 Mustang a couple months ago and the dealer said they don't test drive Mustangs :crazy:

MjC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang v6 triple yellow
That's funny, I have a buddy who went and test drove a new C6 Grand Sport a year or two ago and they didn't even blink or go with him. He tried driving a 15 Mustang a couple months ago and the dealer said they don't test drive Mustangs :crazy:
There are actually dealers here that dont let anyone test drive the mustangs too. Turned around and walked out the door. says its company policy ... what a joke for a 30k car

chris_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT Premium PP
There are actually dealers here that dont let anyone test drive the mustangs too. Turned around and walked out the door. says its company policy ... what a joke for a 30k car
That's crazy, I've only been turned down from test driving 80k+ cars

Tofino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT stick.
No test drive is an easy choice....just walk away.
Ford dealers are so common its not hard to find many more that will let you.
When buying my new street bike last summer the local dealer said no test rides. I left and from their parking lot called the next 3 closest Honda dealers who all had a vfr 800 in stock, and all 3 said drop by and gladly test ride it.
Later the same day i stopped by the local dealer with my new vfr in the box of my pickup. Said the test ride was so damn good i had to buy it.
The salesman looked shocked that i woukd buy out of town.
What a moron.
No test drive or ride. I simply leave and spend my money where it is appreciated.
I test drove my mustang before i bought it as well. Actually I drove 4 of them all at the same dealersship. I chose the GT with PP in black.

OP
OP

high_glove_side

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 AGM 1LE
When buying my new street bike last summer the local dealer said no test rides. I left and from their parking lot called the next 3 closest Honda dealers who all had a vfr 800 in stock, and all 3 said drop by and gladly test ride it.
Later the same day i stopped by the local dealer with my new vfr in the box of my pickup. Said the test ride was so damn good i had to buy it.
The salesman looked shocked that i woukd buy out of town.
What a moron.
Interesting. Back in my road bike days, I can't ever recall a dealer allowing test rides of anything. You either bought and rode off, or waited for a mfr's demo day (which were quite infrequent around these parts). I guess times have changed.
Sponsored