What are "normal IAT's?

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I recently successfully modified my ill fitted FRPP CAI on my 2018 GT to complete the new Performance Pack install . I never really paid attention to the IAT's before with the stock inlet system versus the new one.

In 88F degree heat with 90% humidity in slow traffic I observed a 24F degree delta between ambient and inlet temps. I did not do any long term idling, but I feel the temps would have kept climbing, where it might level out, I don't know. Once moving, the drop is rapid and it quickly settles down to a 7F - 9F degree delta as long as I am going 30 mph+.

On the interstate it runs between a 4F and 6F delta. I am thinking anything over a 30F delta in traffic may be a little to high. But again I did not do a baseline with the original inlet system.

Would like to know what the OEM inlet does in similar temps, or any other CAI for that matter, so input would be appreciated.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
sounds like your CAI isn't sealed worth diddly.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
I recently successfully modified my ill fitted FRPP CAI on my 2018 GT to complete the new Performance Pack install . I never really paid attention to the IAT's before with the stock inlet system versus the new one.

In 88F degree heat with 90% humidity in slow traffic I observed a 24F degree delta between ambient and inlet temps. I did not do any long term idling, but I feel the temps would have kept climbing, where it might level out, I don't know. Once moving, the drop is rapid and it quickly settles down to a 7F - 9F degree delta as long as I am going 30 mph+.

On the interstate it runs between a 4F and 6F delta. I am thinking anything over a 30F delta in traffic may be a little to high. But again I did not do a baseline with the original inlet system.

Would like to know what the OEM inlet does in similar temps, or any other CAI for that matter, so input would be appreciated.
Might want to move this to the "V8 5.0L Engine / Mods: Bolt-ons, Exhaust, Tuning" section. Everyone in here has a blower or turbo, which relocates the MAF to different places, and changes the setup from draw-through MAF, to push-through MAF.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Mine are no more than 5 degrees higher than ambient temp normal driving.. spirited driving on hot days like 10-15 degrees above ambient. it's the trans that's the real concern when driving hard on hot days.

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Moderators,

Would you please move this to the V-8 Bolt on and Tunes section please. My apologies for not paying better attention.
Sponsored