Weld or use clamps for H pipe ?

Jnaszty559

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerardo
Vehicle(s)
2005 mustang v6
I’m installing an h pipe soon and wondering what do you guys recommend. Should I weld or just use the clamps ? I heard that overtime they become loose but it would be easier to switch to an x pipe later on.
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I used the clamps that Steeda provided, and they're fine. When I had my mufflers adjusted a few weeks ago, the shop wanted to put a tack weld onto the clamps to make sure that they held in place, but I told them no. I have a MGW, and if I ever need to get to the shifter or pull the trans to replace the clutch, I don't want to have to be messing with cutting welds, as well.

JR

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
I have the steeda and it held great until i removed it for the mgw shifter install. For the life of me i cant get the clamps to hold tight now. After a few weeks of driving i start to see my exhaust tips twisting. I suspect the clamps "formed" when i tighten them originally and they are not in the exact same spot so dont have 100% contact now. Im currently wanting to get a 3" cat back so im just dealing with it for now while i pick a exhaust.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The steeda clamps are too thin/poor. The Amazon ones are actually beefier and work better. In any event they are cheap enough to consider disposable.

Sponsored

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Grego pointed you in the right direction.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I have the steeda and it held great until i removed it for the mgw shifter install. For the life of me i cant get the clamps to hold tight now. After a few weeks of driving i start to see my exhaust tips twisting. I suspect the clamps "formed" when i tighten them originally and they are not in the exact same spot so dont have 100% contact now. Im currently wanting to get a 3" cat back so im just dealing with it for now while i pick a exhaust.
Change the clamps once they are over torqued they stretch and you will never be able to get them to hold. They a very easy to find.., want the torque spec shout.

Sponsored

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I also wanted to weld mine, but the day I installed the h pipe I was sweating my ass off in the garage & said f it & just threw the clamps on. Plan on losing the stock exhaust anyways, so they'll do for now. It sure did make it easier to install back on in 3 pieces instead of 1.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda recommends using the provided clamps, when done properly, they have proven to be very durable.

We have sold 1000s of H/X pipes & there isn't much feedback about the clamps not doing their job.

TJ

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
[
why not just post it? so 10,000 views and 5 years from now people can read it?
20ftlbs, not that anyone will use it. I know human nature, ask questions, and never use the answer given, but I play.
Not my monkey as the saying goes.
Sponsored

Last edited: