Sponsored

Water pump shot by 35k miles?

Red15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT PP
Hey guys. So I have noticed ticking at startup and whining upon acceleration for a few months. I don’t daily drive the car and it seemed to be fine after getting warmed up. I’m no mechanic but it sounded like a belt issue by ear. Today I decided to bring it up to Ford for an oil change and have them inspect it. My S550 was one of the first orders when the order banks opened in 2014 so it’s way out of warranty. The dealer just called me and said the water pump and various belts and pullies associated with it had to be replaced. I was told it would cost $1,200. This is the first issue I’ve had with this car and while it is 8 years old it only has 35,000 miles on it. How common is this on these cars and is that estimate super high or about normal considering it’s at a dealership? Thanks guys.

Oh, and by the way, to add the cherry on top I was told my Ford Performance by Borla cat-back exhaust was cracked on the x-pipe. How is that even possible? I’ve never driven over anything. I’ve noticed the exhaust sounded like crap recently and it stinks when I open my driver door but I was figuring it just needed to be tightened somewhere. Didn’t expect Borla stainless steel to crack. So I guess I will have to call Borla and try to get it replaced under warranty. What a day!
Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
@Red15GT
Yikes, that’s a lot of loot but we’re all at this point where labor rates are horribly expensive. The Euro dealers around my area are at $250.00 an hour.

As far as cracked exhaust, welding 300 series stainless improperly will do that.

MidnightStars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sounds like awful bad luck, don't think I've heard of a water pump breaking down, let alone that early. As for the exhaust, also bad luck. Maybe you did hit something and never heard it. Or some slight flex could have caused it, more than likely a manufacturer defect.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
The car and it's water-pump are right at about 9 years old, so repairs are going to be needed. The low miles mean that seals in things like the water pump are drying out from not being used.

I'd say you're actually doing pretty well, all things considered.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
i have had 30-40 year old low mile Mustangs with the original water pump….fix exhaust, change belt you will be fine.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
You may have low miles but as mentioned the age of the vehicle matters as well. Also when a vehicle is not driven as much as yours the seals deteriorate as the coolant causes corrosion. The water pump is very easy to change If you are able to I would replace it yourself.

Parts are not expensive. I would do upper radiator hose, lower radiator hose, coolant flush, Plastic t-stat housing and T-stat, water pump, tensioner pulley, idler and belt. This should give you another 10 years of trouble free operation.

Last edited:

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
You may have low miles but as mentioned the age of the vehicle matters as well. Also when a vehicle is not driven as much as yours the seals deteriorate as the coolant causes corrosion. The water pump is very easy to change If you are able to I would replace it yourself.

Parts are not expensive. I would do upper radiator hose, lower radiator hose, coolant flush, Plastic t-stat housing and T-stat, water pump, tensioner pulley and idler. This should give you another 10 years of trouble free operation.
Not sure what you’re trying to say..
How do the coolant cause corrosion and deteriorate the seals when the engine is not running????
The cooling system is a closed system and coolant last a long time, as a matter of fact some manufacturers, like Porsche say that there is no need to change it.. ever….there is no downside whatsoever for the coolant to have the car not be used much

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Not sure what you’re trying to say..
How do the coolant cause corrosion and deteriorate the seals when the engine is not running????
The cooling system is a closed system and coolant last a long time, as a matter of fact some manufacturers, like Porsche say that there is no need to change it.. ever….there is no downside whatsoever for the coolant to have the car not be used much
Simple fact that coolant degrades overtime and the seals degrade as well. Its cheap insurance a $100 water pump is nothing compared to the cost of engine damage from overheating.

Straight from Ford every 10 years or 200K miles, he is almost at 10 years. Age of coolant matters.

1673580684498.png

1673579907861.png

Last edited:

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Simple fact that coolant degrades overtime and the seals degrade as well. Its cheap insurance a $100 water pump is nothing compared to the cost of engine damage from overheating.
My 2007 truck still has the factory filled coolant. :).

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
…. And my 1997 kubota tractor still has it’s original radiator hoses in perfect condition.. and same for my 2000 Viper
I had an 1995 explorer with 300.000 miles and 25 years old on original hoses….
I believe in preventive maintenance but no reason to replace a perfectly good part…
I’m sure that you still have people changing perfectly good oil every 3000 miles

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
LOL Well yeah, you can push the intervals many people do. But in a car I care about I rather change the coolant on time.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
…. And my 1997 kubota tractor still has it’s original radiator hoses in perfect condition.. and same for my 2000 Viper
I had an 1995 explorer with 300.000 miles and 25 years old on original hoses….
I believe in preventive maintenance but no reason to replace a perfectly good part…
Its preventive maintenance , I maintain my cars so they don't leave me on the side of the road for negligence as yours. Sure if its a beater I dont care but car like the Mustang I rather keep her maintained and running nicely.

The way I look at it, if I am pulling her apart I rather replace common failure parts such as belt, that Plastic T-stat housing and and T-stat at minimum. The rest is optional for piece of mind.

Last edited:

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Its preventive maintenance , I maintain my cars so they don't leave me on the side of the road for negligence as yours. Sure if its a beater I dont care but car like the Mustang I rather keep her maintained and running nicely.

The way I look at it, if I am pulling her apart I rather replace common failure parts such as belt, that Plastic T-stat housing and and T-stat at minimum. The rest is optional for piece of mind.
Negligence???
You don’t know what you are talking about. I have a bunch of vehicles, race cars and motorcycles and do all my own work
Parts or systems very rarely suddenly break, you have warning signs and I know what to look for

E7573F5F-936A-4F8A-BE5E-37DC4AE2AC95.jpeg

4D45FAC6-D848-4609-AA8C-6701D4E89309.jpeg

BECA0A41-6364-4955-8CCF-F84114207EB5.jpeg

0CA7663A-1C56-4F30-A922-039E798068C8.jpeg

96F3ACEB-4F18-41FF-81A6-E937DDFF8F62.jpeg

75615922-7CA2-42AA-B5BC-3455EEF0E0C4.jpeg

F60A4489-BEC3-40A8-B40F-E3A2BA2F3334.png
Sponsored