Sponsored

Water in tail lights

Greenerict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2016 Ford Explorer
About week ago I bought Vland tinted Euros in the marketplace from Moisesg107. They arrived a bit scratched since they were shipped with the lenses touching. There is dirty standing water in the LH tail light. I messaged the seller but have received no response. I also made a case with paypal but that hasn't gone anywhere.

If I can't get a refund and am stuck with these, I think I can buff the scratches out. Is there anything I can do for the water? I was thinking about pouring 90% isopropyl alcohol in and trying to rinse the lights out.

taillight1.jpg

taillight2.jpg

taillight3.jpg

taillight4.jpg
Sponsored

ShaneFromLethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Hey There! I actually had this issue with my Tahoe. The way to fix it is either, you can drill a tiny little hole in the light and drain it out, which is the easy fix(which I wouldn't prefer, but it works). OR, you can take them apart and reseal them.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
With water inside the lens the LED might be fried. The issue is you don't want to put power to it to test until it's dry.

The chances you have a usable light are pretty slim so I would aggressively pursue Paypal's dispute resolution. I've had similar dealings with Paypal, if all they have to go on is a couple of short messages from each party they have a tendency to just do nothing, sometimes it takes a phone call to speak to a live person so they can get a good grasp on your side of the story, but I've always had what I felt was a fair solution from them, even if I had to argue for it.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
If you have to try to salvage the lights, it won't be easy to get the water out. I had condensation form inside one of my taillights that eventually puddled. I tried tilting the housing every which way to get the water to drain out through the wiring socket opening, but never got more than a few drops. Hoping the water would evaporate, I left it sitting in the sun during a Florida summer, all day long! I put it out everyday for a week, but it made no difference. I think the only way to do it will be removing the lens, then making sure it's sealed properly after putting it back together.

sagonzal2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 350
How’d it work out? Were you able to get a refund from the seller? I bought mine on another gt350 I owned from S550Euros and they were super cool and trusted.

Sponsored

bloomerfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Found out mine had a hairline crack. Dried out the inside then put a piece of clear scotch tape over it crack and water never came back

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If you paid via PayPal with a CC and you're having difficulty getting PayPal to do anything as far as a refund, call your CC direct and file a claim. Say you were scammed, that the merchandise received was not as advertised and is damaged. Most CC companies have protection for their customers.

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
make a small drain hole. rinse with alcohol is not a bad idea,

first -
Dig till you find the source ..
maybe try dunk test and look for bubbles,

or if there is an opening, roughly seal with tape and low pressure compressed air into it to find escaping air

put in sun for a day to dry.
I've used a heat gun in standard H4 ish headlights setup to blow into the assembly at low heat for a couple hours ... but then, there'e a good size hole to access.

then seal

scratch:
wetsand
600 till smooth, 800, 1200 - then buff compound

OP
OP

Greenerict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2016 Ford Explorer
Paypal gave me a refund. I rinsed the LH with alcohol on the inside, but it ended up streaky on the inside and made the lens crack. I recommend against using rubbing alcohol. I'm just going to wait and buy some new ones eventually.

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
These chinese made lights are just prone to moisture build up. Vlands arent even sealed right from the get go. I got another set from I5 Autohaus. Different brand. I forget who actually makes them, but even they are prone to moisture build up. The plastic is cheap/thin. Now standing water is of course a whole other ball game.
Sponsored