Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Hi,

It's good practice to check the water drain holes from time to time and make sure they aren't clogged. But where are they? How many of them are there? I couldn't find this information anywhere.
So far I've only identified the following:
- two holes on the lower inner edge of each door
- one channel above each taillight, which collects water from around the trunk lid and allows it to drain onto and behind the taillight.

There must be others. The cowl must have two of them, but I can't figure out where they are. Any hints as to where I should look for them?
Any others?

Thank you.
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
On a RHD there are some (four I think) on the plastic cowl under the wiper mount - drivers side (on a RHD). They seem to let water out around the back of the sound deadening behind the master cylinder somehow.

I believe there is something behind the battery tray somewhere and if that blocks and backs up it can get into the cabin - I would like to learn more about how to find and clean that area.

Whilst we are on this subject, was it you that suggested altering the little panel on the rear light to let that area drain quicker ? If so, I would be careful … I suspect that panel is a reasonably tight fit to stop large debris getting behind the light and then getting trapped, it would make sense to have the first restriction to that area the most restrictive :like:

WD :like:

OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Whilst we are on this subject, was it you that suggested altering the little panel on the rear light to let that area drain quicker ? If so, I would be careful … I suspect that panel is a reasonably tight fit to stop large debris getting behind the light and then getting trapped, it would make sense to have the first restriction to that area the most restrictive
I intended to do that, but then I realized the exact thing that you're saying, which is why I gave up on the idea and deleted my comment. :blush:
I had noticed that that place was always full of water, there's always a pool of standing water that doesn't drain, and at first I thought it was because of the plastic trim being too long. But then I saw that the trim wasn't actually the reason for that. It's because that section of the drain channel is perfectly horizontal, so the water couldn't drain anyway. Ford does have some really clever designers, apparently. :crazy:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I intended to do that, but then I realized the exact thing that you're saying, which is why I gave up on the idea and deleted my comment. :blush:
I had noticed that that place was always full of water, there's always a pool of standing water that doesn't drain, and at first I thought it was because of the plastic trim being too long. But then I saw that the trim wasn't actually the reason for that. It's because that section of the drain channel is perfectly horizontal, so the water couldn't drain anyway. Ford does have some really clever designers, apparently. :crazy:
Only when the car is perfectly horizontal !

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Make sure the cowling at base of windshield isn't full of debris or that the drain channel isn't plugged (yes, this area is still an issue with modern day Mustangs). If the cowl is plugged, water can come in over the cabin filter. The modern cowl is supposed to have a few drainage holes to allow water to drain out instead of accumulating. There is also a cowl drain with a flap that is supposed to auto open to allow water to drain. If those holes are plugged with debris or the drainage flap is not functioning, it’s possible water could spill over through where the cabin filter is located.

This thread discusses the cowl drain flapper:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/cowl-drain-valve.132078/

OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The cowl at the base of the windshield has two holes, which are trivial to check, since they are so obvious just by coming close to the car and glancing at them. But the question is, what happens after that? Where does the water go after it drains from the cowl through those small holes?
How do you get to that flap to check on its condition? Do you have to remove the battery?
Sponsored