Sponsored

Warranty and a Catch Can?

jonrjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Premium GT, 2013 Taurus SHO, F-350 Crewcab FX4 Lariat 4x4
I know over the years that the aftermarket has exploded with various gizmos and whatnots. Many of which can be frowned upon by manufactures when facing warranty repairs.

Where does installing a Catch Can fall in the scope of manufacture acceptance and warranty issues?

From what I have read it would seem that a Catch Can should have been a factory standard item on these ecoboost setups.

But since they were not a factory item, are they accepted as a no harm, no foul customer add on?

Thanks in advance,
Sponsored

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
A vapor/liquid separator requires servicing. For this reason, and the simple fact that majority of "typical" driving does not warrant one, it is not standard-equipment. It's also not a "no-harm/no-foul" add-on. Consider the fact that device could plug-up.

If it were me, I'd pull it off before pleading with a dealer over any engine-related warranty work.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
It shouldn't be a problem BUT remember you will be dealing with dealer personnel who may be clueless about them and take a stand one way or the other rather than admit ignorance or research it. And as you know some people prefer death to admitting a mistake and will make it fight to the death. There have been documented isolated cases of dealers completely refusing to warranty engine failures when the car had a catch can and even having the car flagged as such so other dealers will shy away.

I suspect you could eliminate that small possibility by talking to your dealer service manager before installing it and documenting a consensus that a catch won't be an issue with them.

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
You are better off being open and honest with your dealer. The second they know you are lying or hiding something you will be treated differently. It's common knowledge at Ford that owners mod mustangs. Plenty of modded mustangs go through the dealer I used to worked for and am a 15 year customer at cover most if not all warranty issues. Fear mongers that tell you that you will be denied warranty work are just generalizing and making assumptions. Just talk to your service department and have a good relationship with them.

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Technicians and service managers cannot make the determination on warranty repairs. That is left up to Ford, not the dealer.

It shouldn't be a problem BUT remember you will be dealing with dealer personnel who may be clueless about them and take a stand one way or the other rather than admit ignorance or research it. And as you know some people prefer death to admitting a mistake and will make it fight to the death. There have been documented isolated cases of dealers completely refusing to warranty engine failures when the car had a catch can and even having the car flagged as such so other dealers will shy away.

I suspect you could eliminate that small possibility by talking to your dealer service manager before installing it and documenting a consensus that a catch won't be an issue with them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jonrjen

jonrjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I much appreciate the feedback. So in summary what it appears is that "Damned if you do and Damned if ya don't".

While I feel comfortable with my local dealer my concern is more in line of if I were in need of warranty work while away on a road trip and needed to use a strange dealership service dept.

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
You won't have any problems man. Don't sweat it.

I much appreciate the feedback. So in summary what it appears is that "Damned if you do and Damned if ya don't".

While I feel comfortable with my local dealer my concern is more in line of if I were in need of warranty work while away on a road trip and needed to use a strange dealership service dept.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Technicians and service managers cannot make the determination on warranty repairs. That is left up to Ford, not the dealer.
What you are overlooking is that Ford can accept dealers input and a dealer may spin things to avoid admit making a mistake. The fact that with enough perseverance and maybe the right lawyers you might prevail is not something an owner will enjoy.

As I said, the best way to avoid a dealer making a bad snap decision when presented with a broken motor is to make sure they are already aware of what mods you have before that day comes. Or you can take your chances and maybe be that 1 in a 100 who get screwed.

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
No offense but you are making some assumptions. Yes, it depends on the dealer input to Ford but you are going to be royally screwed if you blow a motor then try covering your tracks by pulling mods off the car or removing a tune. Zero key cycles, mods removed and a blown motor will almost guarantee a middle finger from Ford. Have some integrity and be honest with them. It goes a long ways.

What you are overlooking is that Ford can accept dealers input and a dealer may spin things to avoid admit making a mistake. The fact that with enough perseverance and maybe the right lawyers you might prevail is not something an owner will enjoy.

As I said, the best way to avoid a dealer making a bad snap decision when presented with a broken motor is to make sure they are already aware of what mods you have before that day comes. Or you can take your chances and maybe be that 1 in a 100 who get screwed.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Just an FYI on catch cans:

One of the major tuners (you've seen their name in this forum, and they're not an individual, and happen to be geographically close to Ford), doesn't recommend them until the engine is older and well broken in, unless you're doing something like tracking the car.

This particular tuner takes the stance that catch cans interfere with the proper lubrication of the rather hard rings and valve guides of the 2.3 ecoboost engine during the break in process...

Back to our regularly scheduled forums :thumbsup:

Sponsored

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
I have a hate for the 2.3 platform thanks to my 2017 Focus RS. Nothing like having 2,000 miles on it and only owning it two months when the motor let go due to Ford's lack of quality control and completely ignoring RS owners with the same issues and denying there was an issue until the media and lawyers got involved
Only mod it had was an AWE catback. It was a great day when Ford bought back that hunk of shit.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Installing a catch can may introduce a problem where a problem doesn't exist and void the warranty if the engine fails because of a faulty installation or part. I don't understand why people keep installing catch cans and rolling the dice on a 6k engine replacement. The engine was designed without a catch can for a reason.

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
If a catch can causes an engine failure then there are other bigger issues to address. Also installing the correct catch can based on forced induction or NA is also important. The reputable name brand catch cans that are plug and play are the only ones I would use. Some even use factory hard lines and fittings.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
If the dealer sees anything aftermarket part on the motor, they can and will blame an engine issue on that part. Even if its common sense that the part added cannot cause the specific failure, they will still void ur warranty. They hold all the cards, sure they have to prove it caused the failure according to the law, but they will only try to prove it to your lawyer, not you.

Plus, catch cans are only possibly useful in a racing environment, for daily driving, dont take the risk by having one. If you must have one, remove it before doing dealer work if its plug and play.

OP
OP
jonrjen

jonrjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a hate for the 2.3 platform thanks to my 2017 Focus RS. Nothing like having 2,000 miles on it and only owning it two months when the motor let go due to Ford's lack of quality control and completely ignoring RS owners with the same issues and denying there was an issue until the media and lawyers got involved
Only mod it had was an AWE catback. It was a great day when Ford bought back that hunk of shit.
I know this is a bit off of EcoStang subject, but what issues did you have with the RS?
I read some things as to idle problems and gaskets, but it appears that there are more serious matters at hand.
I had thought of adding one as a toy, but maybe it would not be one of my wisest investments.
Sponsored