Sponsored

Wait until after break in period to remove hydro carbon trap & switch air filter?

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
I am planning to remove the hydro carbon trap and replace the air filter W/ the Air Raid one and have about 400 miles on the car, should I wait until I hit 1,000 miles before making the changes or are they no big deal?
Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I am planning to remove the hydro carbon trap and replace the air filter W/ the Air Raid one and have about 400 miles on the car, should I wait until I hit 1,000 miles before making the changes or are they no big deal?
I would wait for 1000 although I’m not waiting before I get on it. I’ve got around 500 now.

Tony of Tony’s Fords and Mustangs on YT did a before and after dyno run and picked up 18 rwhp just by replacing the carbon trap alone. I’d estimate that‘s around 20 crank hp so you’d be up to what, 490 or so. Don’t know about anyone else but I’d call that a real difference, especially for free.

Jjmoberg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 on order
My hydrocarbon trap went in the trash as soon as i could possibly get it there. Blue filter went on at that same time

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My hydrocarbon trap went in the trash as soon as i could possibly get it there. Blue filter went on at that same time
No ill effects, CELs, etc. after doing both mods at the same time?

How long have you been running that way and did your butt dyno notice the difference?

Sponsored

Jjmoberg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 on order
No ill effects. Im sure the car has no idea!

Im at 700 miles. I did it as soon as i got it home and got the parts. So maybe 250 miles. My dyno doesnt know cause i was being super easy in it when i did the swap. Im getting on it a bit more now. But still not full send yet.

Will change the oil in May and then drive it like i stole it.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Tony of Tony’s Fords and Mustangs on YT did a before and after dyno run and picked up 18 rwhp just by replacing the carbon trap alone.
LMFAO.
Let's see what an actual engineer did and the results:

Cux211

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
22 f250 6.7 platinum tremor
Keep in mind there was some testing that showed you’re better off removing the carbon trap then reinstalling the sleeve that held it so it doesn’t change the id of the intake messing with the maf sensor which in turn screws with the fuel trim I think the correction with out the sleeve was 17% with the sleeve put back in with the trap removed the correction was at 10%

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LMFAO.
Let's see what an actual engineer did and the results:
So WH, let me be sure I have this right. You’re LYFAO based on generic non-Mustang related theorizing from an “engineer” who has the visual credibility of a Cub Scout, all the while ignoring actual demonstrated dyno results on the subject vehicle? If the presenting authorities were reversed, I’m guessing you’d want to see dyno results…

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you think yer gaining 18RWHP from removing a carbon trap yer wrong..
Yeah I get it.

I never did trust those lying-azz dynos.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I never did trust those lying-azz dynos.
Right. I never trusted actual data from an real world test ie: getting in the car, going down the road, measuring & collected actual DATA.

Keep living in yer fantasy world.

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
No ill effects, CELs, etc. after doing both mods at the same time?

How long have you been running that way and did your butt dyno notice the difference?
I removed mine recently at about the 200 mile mark and dropped in new filter at the same time. No issues. I also removed all the mounting tabs for the charcoal filter housing and followed that up by sanding smooth the inside of the box.

Since yours is a Mach 1, make sure you keep the insert in place so you avoid any lean condition due to unaccounted air.

18 rwhp? Not in my experience. But helping it breathe a little easier, within reason, won't hurt.

Last edited:

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right. I never trusted actual data from an real world test ie: getting in the car, going down the road, measuring & collected actual DATA.

Keep living in yer fantasy world.
In a Subie? Gotta question the relevance don’t you?

But I would certainly think a Mustang on a dyno is well, a Mustang on a dyno right?

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
I like the analysis. Makes sense. I took mine out for better breathing, not for the hp.
18 rwhp? Not in my experience. But helping it breathe a little easier, within reason, won't hurt.
This! Its not about the 10 hp.
Sponsored