Sponsored

Voodoo Theory

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
500 hp should easily be achieved with displacement and revs that the rumours suggest, what is unknown is how much other things like DI can provide
Sponsored

OP
OP
pacettr

pacettr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Parnelli Jones Saleen, 2013 Lagune Seca, and
500 hp should easily be achieved with displacement and revs that the rumours suggest, what is unknown is how much other things like DI can provide
This is my thought. DI should allow for higher compression. Throw in a slight bump in displacement and a CJ manifold, 8500 rpm redline, and things could get interesting...

GTMamba

Threads
Reaction score
Since this article mentioned the "Voodoo" engine I thought I would add this bit of info I saw on another site:

"The company I work for received an RFQ for a component for a 5.2 engine with code name voodoo. 8000RPM capability was part of the requirements. This was in collaboration with roush and discussions were several months ago.. Unfortunately, our parent company chose not to pursue due to the low production volumes. My guess is this i the next GT500 engine..."

I havent been followin the rumors very closely but I did read Mister.peabody here say the 5.0 is a tight squeeze as it is so who knows.
Posted this last night. If it's to be believed 8000RPM and we could see something from Roush using the Voodoo engine.

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
The big 3 are in competition with each other for power/performance. SVT being N/A would surprise me, if what mr. peabody says as far as nothing bigger than the 5.0 being able to fit. I see the only way Ford being able to compete with chevy in a power/performance standpoint and keep it N/A would mean going more displacement, 5.8/6.2. If Mr. Peabody is telling the truth, then they will not be able to do this, which will only leave 1 option and that is to boost the platform you are already using and have been using for the past 4 years. I could see maybe a 5.0 pushed to a 5.2 and making some decent power, but to compete with the performance of chevy is that going to be enough? I don't see the 4.6 coming back for 1 vehicle, the cost wouldn't make sense.
I'm not saying they'll use the 4.6 for one vehicle, I'm saying that in the future, a smaller, twin-turbo V8 might be something Ford looks at. I could see a 4.4-4.6 twin turbo V8 replacing the 6.2 in the Super Duty if they could prove it had the towing capacity and fuel economy they wanted.

Everyone continues to think things are going to keep going in the direction they've been since 2007. Things change. Think Lightning to Raptor change.

K.Lysius

8000 or above RPM would be just awesome. Nothing like a high revving naturally aspirated engine.

With turbo engines taking over, redlines keep dropping. :(

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Posted this last night. If it's to be believed 8000RPM and we could see something from Roush using the Voodoo engine.
Roush would be involved to help Ford Racing reverse engineer the car for Ford for OEM applications. Roush needs to be involved in development with any possible professional road racing engine replacement early. Remember, the 2014 Season starts at the end of January. Roush needs to be involved which is why they would say that... Not as a special Roush model but as THE team to use the new Mustang first. I suppose Multimatic is involved as well...

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
Roush would be involved to help Ford Racing reverse engineer the car for Ford for OEM applications. Roush needs to be involved in development with any possible professional road racing engine replacement early. Remember, the 2014 Season starts at the end of January. Roush needs to be involved which is why they would say that... Not as a special Roush model but as THE team to use the new Mustang first. I suppose Multimatic is involved as well...
Wrong. Roush is involved, but for other reasons.

KZStang

With your quote of :

"The company I work for received an RFQ for a component for a 5.2 engine with code name voodoo. 8000RPM capability was part of the requirements. This was in collaboration with roush and discussions were several months ago.. Unfortunately, our parent company chose not to pursue due to the low production volumes. My guess is this i the next GT500 engine..."

Seems all but confirmed at this point. If you've been following the rumors, this has been reiterated many times by different sources. R&T and the Truth About Cars both cited sources that the 5.2L would be an NA V8 with no engine cover since a S/C was not feasible for fitting under the hood. Then we got various forum confirmation (both here and elsewhere) that it would be produced by Mahle Powertrain which specializes in low volume production of niche engines.

Others have "confirmed" it will in fact be the GT350 engine and initial rumors were that the engine was capable of producing 600hp but was dialed back significantly to increase longevity and reliability. I'd guess around 525-550. I've heard it suggested that this could akin to the Roush-Yates 5.0L Cammer V8 which was a bored 4.6L modular pushing 550hp naturally aspirated or the 5.3L Cammer producing over 650hp. All food for fodder before we find out how exactly this Voodoo engine was developed.

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys
With your quote of :

Seems all but confirmed at this point. If you've been following the rumors, this has been reiterated many times by different sources. R&T and the Truth About Cars both cited sources that the 5.2L would be an NA V8 with no engine cover since a S/C was not feasible for fitting under the hood. Then we got various forum confirmation (both here and elsewhere) that it would be produced by Mahle Powertrain which specializes in low volume production of niche engines.

Others have "confirmed" it will in fact be the GT350 engine and initial rumors were that the engine was capable of producing 600hp but was dialed back significantly to increase longevity and reliability. I'd guess around 525-550. I've heard it suggested that this could akin to the Roush-Yates 5.0L Cammer V8 which was a bored 4.6L modular pushing 550hp naturally aspirated or the 5.3L Cammer producing over 650hp. All food for fodder before we find out how exactly this Voodoo engine was developed.

Thanks for one of the most level headed posts I have seen on this subject.

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
This is my thought. DI should allow for higher compression. Throw in a slight bump in displacement and a CJ manifold, 8500 rpm redline, and things could get interesting...
I would have sex with that engine.

Sponsored

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
Also important is the complete package, are the carbon ceramic brakes coming? Is the rumour of carbon fibre body parts true? What is the weight balance?

Let's say the gt350 has 5.2 voodoo NA at around 540 hp with closer to 50/50 weight distribution, IRS, loses 200 to 400 lbs on the current gt500, carbon ceramic brakes, Michelin pilot super sports 285's up front. And 305's out back. Rear seat delete option

All of this with navigation, good stereo, aircon, and the rest of the bells. Z28 slayer without having to strip the car

Might have to but two

331coupe

Threads
Reaction score
Also important is the complete package, are the carbon ceramic brakes coming? Is the rumour of carbon fibre body parts true? What is the weight balance?

Let's say the gt350 has 5.2 voodoo NA at around 540 hp with closer to 50/50 weight distribution, IRS, loses 200 to 400 lbs on the current gt500, carbon ceramic brakes, Michelin pilot super sports 285's up front. And 305's out back. Rear seat delete option

All of this with navigation, good stereo, aircon, and the rest of the bells. Z28 slayer without having to strip the car

Might have to but two
They should let you design the thing lol, that would be sweet. I'm not sure if we will see carbon body parts, I think that really depends on what kind of price tag they have planned for the car. If were talking gt500 price tag, then yes it's possible to see carbon parts. If were talking like 45k price range, you more than likely won't see carbon body parts due to cost. Even if we see carbon body parts, I'm not real sure what they can put other than maybe a hood or maybe some bumper covers. I say those items because you know they aren't going to go crazy and do doors, decklid, fenders...

crysalis_01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Terminator Cobra

Might have to but two
I would hope Ford would aim for much loftier goals. As in, what the Z/28 will be as opposed to what it is currently. Remember that the current Z/28 gets the old Z06's LS7 mill that makes 505bhp. The next gen Z06 is rumored to be getting a 600bhp varient of the new LT series. So, if the next Z28 gets the Z06's LT, Ford needs to keep in mind a track opponent that's lighter (alpha chassis) and makes close to a 100 more bhp than the current version.