Voodoo short block with gen 3 heads

Bigj5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marion
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
A bit of a werid one but I have a buddy who’s got a built voodoo gen 3 short block that’s offering to give it to me for cheap cheap. My question is would my gen 3 timing,heads,computer,etc work with the voodoo short block. Maybe it’d just be a tune or would I have to change computers and heads to do it?
Sponsored

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Don’t think the computer would work. Someone else should be along to chime in on bore spacing and cooling passages soon

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT350 Tribute, 1971 Mustang Mach 1
voodoo gen 3? someone smarter than me can talk about harnesses and computers, but as far as I know, if it mates up, technically it should work if the heads bolt on. The heads and cams dictate the computer, not the short block.

But, voodoo gen 3?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The VooDoo has a one plane crank. You will need to repin the fuel injectors and ignition coils to run the voodoo firing order. If the gen 3 heads bolt on the gen 3 ECU should run it. Make sure the cooling passages are the same in the head and block. Would also need VooDoo cams. Sounds like a lot of work. I'd probably just swap to a coyote crank

OP
OP
Bigj5.0

Bigj5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marion
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
The VooDoo has a one plane crank. You will need to repin the fuel injectors and ignition coils to run the voodoo firing order. If the gen 3 heads bolt on the gen 3 ECU should run it. Make sure the cooling passages are the same in the head and block. Would also need VooDoo cams. Sounds like a lot of work. I'd probably just swap to a coyote crank
The heads dictate the cams I thought ppl put voodoo heads on gen 3’s and run voodoo cams

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
The heads dictate the cams I thought ppl put voodoo heads on gen 3’s and run voodoo cams
If it has a voodoo flat plane crank, it's gonna be a pain in the ass. It would be easier to buy it, and put a coyote crank in it that to do all the things needed to convert to flat plane. With a coyote crank, all your shit fits.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The crank and cams control firing order.

People run voodoo heads with coyote cams on coyotes

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
What they all said. The Coyote cams and Voodoo crank don't match. The valves have to open at the correct time when the piston is in the correct location.

Sounds like a fun project. Hopefully you can swap out parts of the rotating assembly to match up with your heads and cam. I think the deck height is the same between the 5.2 and 5.0, but the cylinder bores are larger in the 5.2 engines. You might just be able to swap the crankshaft for a Coyote version, but I don't know all the details of which parts will interchange. The displacement is so close I would think you might not even need a tune, but even if a tune is needed it shouldn't be a huge deal for someone to do that part. The biggest thing is getting all the mechanical parts to work together.

4sdvenom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Cobra
Very interesting project!
As far as I know all Voodoo, Coyote and Predator engine blocks and heads can physically bolt up and function just fine. The bore spacing is identical across all Coyote, Voodoo and Predator engine blocks and heads. People have been using Voodoo and Predator blocks in Coyote builds for a while now. However as mentioned if you use the Voodoo flat plane crank you will HAVE to use the Voodoo cams. If it's unable to be changed in the tune you will also HAVE to repin the injectors and ignition coils to the correct Voodoo firing order also mentioned above. Gen3 Coyote heads came with direct injection, so if you plan to retain it you will have to use an '18-'23 Mustang ECU. Here is the tricky part and possibly the hardest to overcome. The Gen3 Coyote heads specifically the passanger side carry the High Pressure fuel pump for the direct injection. That is driven by the passanger intake or exhaust cam (can't remember which off the top of my head). That cam has a special lobe that runs the high pressure DI pump. Voodoo cams do not have this lobe. It would require a custom cam for that position. It would need to be cut from an '18-'23 cam blank and cut to the exact Voodoo cam specs to match the other 3 Voodoo cams. Or you can take this opportunity to get a full set of custom Voodoo firing order cams cut from '18-'23 Mustang GT cam blanks to your engine builders preferred specs. I have looked into this kind of build before in order to have a direct injected Voodoo. What I haven't gotten to though is investigating the cam phasers and all of the front cam drive assemblies and timing components (including front cover) to make sure they are all compatible with each other. Tuning would also be a key component to making this all work together. I do think it's possible but more things need to be looked into as mentioned to ensure all parts play well together as well as if you would need to use Voodoo specific or Coyote specific front cam drive assemblies.
If you tackle this and make it happen please definitely document everything in a build thread for future people to follow (such as myself).
You would possibly end up with the first direct injected Voodoo on the planet (unless anyone knows of one that already exists).
Good luck and I would LOVE to follow this build if you go through with it.
Hopefully others chime in with more answers and and any other obstacles to lookout for and avoid or work around and not just throw out "why" or it would just be easier to use a Coyote crank. Would it be easier YES, but I would rather see something done that hasn't been done before. It definitely will require more research that I hope others will help with!
Good luck!

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Very interesting project!
As far as I know all Voodoo, Coyote and Predator engine blocks and heads can physically bolt up and function just fine. The bore spacing is identical across all Coyote, Voodoo and Predator engine blocks and heads. People have been using Voodoo and Predator blocks in Coyote builds for a while now. However as mentioned if you use the Voodoo flat plane crank you will HAVE to use the Voodoo cams. If it's unable to be changed in the tune you will also HAVE to repin the injectors and ignition coils to the correct Voodoo firing order also mentioned above. Gen3 Coyote heads came with direct injection, so if you plan to retain it you will have to use an '18-'23 Mustang ECU. Here is the tricky part and possibly the hardest to overcome. The Gen3 Coyote heads specifically the passanger side carry the High Pressure fuel pump for the direct injection. That is driven by the passanger intake or exhaust cam (can't remember which off the top of my head). That cam has a special lobe that runs the high pressure DI pump. Voodoo cams do not have this lobe. It would require a custom cam for that position. It would need to be cut from an '18-'23 cam blank and cut to the exact Voodoo cam specs to match the other 3 Voodoo cams. Or you can take this opportunity to get a full set of custom Voodoo firing order cams cut from '18-'23 Mustang GT cam blanks to your engine builders preferred specs. I have looked into this kind of build before in order to have a direct injected Voodoo. What I haven't gotten to though is investigating the cam phasers and all of the front cam drive assemblies and timing components (including front cover) to make sure they are all compatible with each other. Tuning would also be a key component to making this all work together. I do think it's possible but more things need to be looked into as mentioned to ensure all parts play well together as well as if you would need to use Voodoo specific or Coyote specific front cam drive assemblies.
If you tackle this and make it happen please definitely document everything in a build thread for future people to follow (such as myself).
You would possibly end up with the first direct injected Voodoo on the planet (unless anyone knows of one that already exists).
Good luck and I would LOVE to follow this build if you go through with it.
Hopefully others chime in with more answers and and any other obstacles to lookout for and avoid or work around and not just throw out "why" or it would just be easier to use a Coyote crank. Would it be easier YES, but I would rather see something done that hasn't been done before. It definitely will require more research that I hope others will help with!
Good luck!
OPs car is a gen3 fyi.

Sponsored

4sdvenom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Cobra
OPs car is a gen3 fyi.

Well hell, you're most of the way there! A custom set of Gen 3 Mustang GT cams cut to match the Voodoo firing order and specs, and making the rest of the firing order changes needed along with some tuning and in theory should work.
Am I missing anything? I would think As long as all of the firing order changes are made it should work just fine.
I'm not sure what the difference is in combustion chamber volume between the Voodoo heads and Gen 3 heads are so I would double check what the final compression ratio would end up being. As well as making sure piston to valve clearance is still good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigj5.0

Bigj5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marion
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
What they all said. The Coyote cams and Voodoo crank don't match. The valves have to open at the correct time when the piston is in the correct location.

Sounds like a fun project. Hopefully you can swap out parts of the rotating assembly to match up with your heads and cam. I think the deck height is the same between the 5.2 and 5.0, but the cylinder bores are larger in the 5.2 engines. You might just be able to swap the crankshaft for a Coyote version, but I don't know all the details of which parts will interchange. The displacement is so close I would think you might not even need a tune, but even if a tune is needed it shouldn't be a huge deal for someone to do that part. The biggest thing is getting all the mechanical parts to work together.
From my understanding is lunds grey goose has a boss 302 crank but uses voodoo heads and cams

4sdvenom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Cobra
Oem voodoo cams won't work with coyote crank.
No they do not! Ford actually has a part number for the correct cams to use for a cross plane crank and Voodoo heads. I believe they are the same specs as the Voodoo cams but cut for cross plane use and firing order.
Sponsored