Second part who's got the most miles.
Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Are you talking how long in production or our actual motors?

If the latter, not too long for some folks as we've seen in multiple threads...

I'm hoping mine goes the distance with me and that I'll be buried in my original motor 350 :lol:

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I'm hoping it'll last a long time but who knows. These cars are still too new to really know what the long term durability is on them. There was a mileage thread going on, it might be worth it to search for that and bump it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Probably the Voodoo will last on average longer than any of us will keep the cars. I have a couple Fords with well over 200,000 miles on them. I can't think of any reason the Voodoo wouldn't last that long. I have about 19,000 miles on mine. Not many so far.

Sponsored

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Probably the Voodoo will last on average longer than any of us will keep the cars. I have a couple Fords with well over 200,000 miles on them. I can't think of any reason the Voodoo wouldn't last that long. I have about 19,000 miles on mine. Not many so far.
You can't really compare your traditional Ford engine with the VOODOO. Your other Fords did not have a flat plane crank. This allows the engine to rev to the mind blowing 8250 RPM. The problem is the VOODOO has a lot of of shaking going on due to the engine design. This is why the oil filters needed to be torqued to 16-18 ft lbs. All flat plane cranks have NVH problems. On the track that is to be expected. Over the life of a street engine? Time will tell.

The other problem I see with long term reliability is the cast OPG gear. There have been multiple failures on the Coyote which uses the same cast OPG as the VOODOO. The Coyote has much less pressure on the OPG so it sometimes felt like a ticking time bomb to me.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The other problem I see with long term reliability is the cast OPG gear. There have been multiple failures on the Coyote which uses the same cast OPG as the VOODOO. The Coyote has much less pressure on the OPG so it sometimes felt like a ticking time bomb to me.
I think that's a bit overblown with engines that aren't FI'ed. It just has high visibility. I'm not worried about mine one bit.

OP
OP

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
Ford sells ad on warranty so I guess they think so also. As long as something like plastic intake manifold don't crack 3 years out.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
As long as something like plastic intake manifold don't crack 3 years out.
Never happening. I'd be more worried about a metal one that was poorly treated or something from expansion and contraction. We're going to be fine.

RR350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
H2043 / HR650
Hopefully at least for the next 5 years / 60k Miles lol. I have 19k on my 17 and all is well so far :love:

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You can't really compare your traditional Ford engine with the VOODOO. Your other Fords did not have a flat plane crank. This allows the engine to rev to the mind blowing 8250 RPM. The problem is the VOODOO has a lot of of shaking going on due to the engine design. This is why the oil filters needed to be torqued to 16-18 ft lbs. All flat plane cranks have NVH problems. On the track that is to be expected. Over the life of a street engine? Time will tell.

I don't own a vehicle with a 4 cylinder engine, but those have a FPC. Ford makes a crap ton of FPC engines. And I sure as heck think I can compare several different engines made by the same company using some of the same people and processes to develop and test those engines. Explain to me why you think that Ford forgot to test the Voodoo.

NVH isn't a "problem". It's a characteristic. If I valued squishy and quiet luxury over all else, maybe NVH would be a "problem" for me. But I don't and it isn't.

I just plain disagree with you on the OPG thing as well.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford

Welcome back!

Im also weary of the longevity of the engine, hence the purchase of the 8yr extended. Beyond that, I think Ill be proactive and change out the OPG once my warranty runs out.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
I don't own a vehicle with a 4 cylinder engine, but those have a FPC. Ford makes a crap ton of FPC engines. And I sure as heck think I can compare several different engines made by the same company using some of the same people and processes to develop and test those engines. Explain to me why you think that Ford forgot to test the Voodoo.

NVH isn't a "problem". It's a characteristic. If I valued squishy and quiet luxury over all else, maybe NVH would be a "problem" for me. But I don't and it isn't.

I just plain disagree with you on the OPG thing as well.
Comparing a 4 cylinder flat plane engine to a V8 engine is not apples to apples. All you have to do is google inherent flaws in V8, V10, V12 flat plane and you will see NVH is a major problem and has been for years. For packaging reasons, Ford could not use dual intakes and or equal length headers or a light weight crank. All of this again causes NVH.

It's a large displacement engine with a relatively heavy crankshaft for a FP engine. The Ferrari V8 crank weighs ~35 lbs. The VOODOO crank weighs in ~55 lbs. The whole point of a flat plane engine is a lightweight crank and high RPM's. The GT350 has an 8250 redline but the crank is pretty heavy and this causes additional NVH issues. Don't get me wrong. It's an amazing engine that will likely get better if Ford sticks with it. I have never owned a car that sounds as good as the GT350. I'm just trying to be objective and say there are inherent design compromises that had to be made to manufacture the VOODOO and keep it from making a GT350 150k.

I have no idea what your point is on the cast OPG. Seems like almost everyone, me included, agrees that the cast gear was a BAD idea on an engine that spins to 8250 RPM. Of course you are welcome to your opinion.

Forgedwheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350

The OPG is NOT cast per se. It is made from specially blended powdered metal with very precise properties for close tolerances and excellent wear and durability characteristics. That is how this pump makes big oil pressure.
I have written on this forum extensively about this pump design. There is no evidence whatsoever that the powdered metal pump design has caused a single Voodoo engine problem. Lots of opinions, sure, but no facts.