Sponsored

Video: Weird Noise - Anyone Else Have This Issue?

mattballislife

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ballislife.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
gt350R
My car has been at the dealer since October 19 and they still can't figure out what the issue is. Fortunately it's under warranty but I'm not paying a car note each month to have it sit at the dealer.

So far they have thought it was the following
  1. Coolant leaking on the belt. They replaced the coolant tank and cleaned off the belts. - nope
  2. They thought it was belt related. They replaced all the belts. - nope
  3. They took the fan belt off and replaced. - nope
  4. They suspected it was possibly the intake runners that were making the noise. They removed the intake manifold to inspect it. - nope
  5. They asked a ford engineer. That was on Wednesday 10/31. They ended up ordering an overflow hose on Friday. They installed it today. - nope
  6. Now they are waiting for the engineering hotline to respond to them...
This is getting a bit ridiculous at this point. The noise is that ticking sound. Inside the car it sounds more like a "grinding" noise and is definitely coming from around the belt area of the engine bay.

If anyone has had this issue let me know what you did to fix.

Thanks.
Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Some thoughts:
Presume they took the belts off and ran the engine for a few minutes (eliminates the coolant pump and alternator, etc.). You can then hear if its the valve drive chains or a PVC valve. On my older Mustang, the PVC valve made a similar noise (rattle).
Disconnect the PVC lines and see if it stops (the place where the passenger side oil catch can would connect).

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
One time, I also had an idler pulley bearing on the belt tensioner that was sloppy enough that the pulley would randomly touch the timing chain cover. The bearing never squealed. Just this random clicking for no apparent reason. That one drove me nuts for a while. Wasn’t a GT350, but was a Coyote.

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
I have had two AC compressors go bad. See if the noise becomes louder when you kick the AC compressor on.

That Stretch Belt between the harmonic balancer and the AC compressor is under a lot of tension. I think it puts a lot of stress on that compressor pully

Sponsored

OP
OP
mattballislife

mattballislife

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ballislife.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
gt350R
Thanks to you both. The dealer did remove the belts and run the engine the way you described Chairman.

We did try this without the AC on as well.

It's been such a pain dealing with the dealer. At first they sent the car home after replacing the belts. As soon as I hopped in and drove down the street all of the same noises were very relevant. I ended up taking the car home as the noise is a lot louder when it's from a cold start. I filmed the video so that they could no longer say "they didn't hear it" as they did when I brought the car back the next day. I sent them the video and then all of a sudden they could "hear it" as well.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I would think it's a bearing somewhere (waterpump, alternator, ac compressor, etc), but if you already run it without the belt, it only makes sense to look at pcv and other engine related components?

OP
OP
mattballislife

mattballislife

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ballislife.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
gt350R
So, the latest is. They talked to a Ford performance engineer. He recommended changing the intake manifold. They did a swap and the issue is still very pronounced.

They are now talking about the possibility of bringing/flying a ford engineer out to southern california to diagnose and fix the problem.

I'm currently on day 24 of the car being in the shop.

Just a side note. When issues go wrong with ford performance vehicles that they cannot diagnose at the dealer, the dealer has to call a ford engineering "hotline". When calling those hotlines they are at the mercy of ford engineering calling back according to the dealer. This has been quite the pain in the ass.

It's never fun to pay a car note while having your car sit in the shop for an entire month.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mattballislife

mattballislife

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ballislife.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
gt350R
Just an update - Today marks 4 weeks that the car has been in the shop with no update in site. Everytime I ask I just get the response that they are waiting to be contacted back by ford engineering.

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
Have you gotten the regional customer service manager involved ?

May be worth looking into your states lemon law procedures. If you let them know you are doing that they might be more motivated to fix it.

Also have they check the oil ? Any metal in the oil?

Honestly I have a bad feeling that it's something under your timing cover

OP
OP
mattballislife

mattballislife

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ballislife.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
gt350R
Have you gotten the regional customer service manager involved ?

May be worth looking into your states lemon law procedures. If you let them know you are doing that they might be more motivated to fix it.

Also have they check the oil ? Any metal in the oil?

Honestly I have a bad feeling that it's something under your timing cover
Well, I forced them to give me a rental car since this was my DD since I work only 6 miles from home. So right now they are paying for that which I'm hoping will motivate them a bit more. I sent the person handling my car a text yesterday and I got the same lame "I'll check" with no response for the second day in a row.

I thought about the lemon law but I really like the car and would rather not part ways with it especially since I believe 2018 was the last production year for the gt350 right?

It only has 8k miles on it and I baby the thing. Also with the lemon law it could be a half a year before anything happens if I do go that route.

As far as regional customer service, I was trying to look up contact info and there are literally no email contacts for ford outside of the dealer. I like email as it's time stamped. The only option was to call or send in a letter via snail mail. Both easy options to disregard. How does one even get in contact with a regional customer service person? I'm in Irvine so I have thought about going to their building Ford has here locally.
Sponsored