Sponsored

Vibration in steering wheel

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
As previously posted, on 9 June, I purchased a 2018 Mustang GT PP.
Today, I started to get a vibration in the steering wheel.

If some of you have seen some of my other posts, you will notice that I have had a few issues.
Seriously, I really wish I’d kept my 2017 Mustang GT Blacked out edition.

After a bit of Googling, it appears it might be brakes (does NOT seem to happen when I brake), rotors or calipers.

Now to take it back to the dealer AGAIN.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
^What he said. Car is fine, tires are out of balance. It doesn't take much to knock it out of whack, and performance type cars usually get steering vibrations more than economy cars because they're designed for you to "feel the road" (tires) more than new drive by wire cars.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
Should still be a warranty issue regardless, but yes, as the others have said, it sounds like a wheel may have thrown a weight or you have a bad tire. It does happen.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
As previously posted, on 9 June, I purchased a 2018 Mustang GT PP.
Today, I started to get a vibration in the steering wheel.

If some of you have seen some of my other posts, you will notice that I have had a few issues.
Seriously, I really wish I’d kept my 2017 Mustang GT Blacked out edition.

After a bit of Googling, it appears it might be brakes (does seem to happen when I brake), rotors or calipers.

Now to take it back to the dealer AGAIN.
Did your 2017 have the Performance Package?

I'm going to go with, "it's your imagination", and you have no experience with lower profile tires on different road surfaces. After reading through your posts about your car, you seem to be obsessively.....obsessive about your car. You've had a plastic thingy on your hand-brake, and a "boot light" issue, which isn't anything out of the ordinary.

EPAS filters out almost all steering wheel vibrations, so I'd ask for a video showing your steering wheel vibrating.

Sponsored

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
If it only occurs when braking, it is not tire out of balance, it is brake/rotor related. If the steering wheel shakes at certain speeds without braking (especially. 50-60 mph), it is probably tire balance issue - could be front susipension but unlikely on new car. If it vibrates all the time, it’s tire defect of some sort.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
After a bit of Googling, it appears it might be brakes (does seem to happen when I brake), rotors or calipers.
If it's only happening when you brake, you may have uneven pad material deposit on one or more of the rotors.

Norm

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If it's only happening when you brake, you may have uneven pad material deposit on one or more of the rotors.

Norm
I'm surprised more people don't have this issue considering how many people don't bed their brakes in correctly. Even worse, treating their brakes like a newborn for the first couple of hundred miles. :doh:

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
If it only occurs when braking, it is not tire out of balance, it is brake/rotor related. If the steering wheel shakes at certain speeds without braking (especially. 50-60 mph), it is probably tire balance issue - could be front susipension but unlikely on new car. If it vibrates all the time, it’s tire defect of some sort.
Agreed; I missed that part of the post. It could easily be the pads and rotors just have uneven deposits; half the rotor is more grippy than the other half because of it.

Find an abandoned parking lot that has a lot of flat open space, and do some soul-ripping stops from 60-0. Aim for that sweet spot before ABS kicks in.

Do 10 of those, drive around for a bit to let the rotors cool back down, then do it again. By driving around, I mean in such a way that you don't stop and let the pads just sit on the rotors at a light; get on a highway or something if you can manage

Once done, your brakes will be VERY touch-sensitive the first couple times.

This coming from when I had a 370z. That car stopped fast enough that I felt my soul continuing down the road another 10ft.

:D

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I'm surprised more people don't have this issue considering how many people don't bed their brakes in correctly. Even worse, treating their brakes like a newborn for the first couple of hundred miles. :doh:
:)

Gentle break-in for 1000 miles with my 15 and now my 18 GTPP's. Followed by many back to back autocross runs on hot days where the brakes got HOT. No vibration either before or after the autocross abuse. Also neither my 15 or my 18 was/is sensitive to tire imbalance even after extreme wear from autocross and thousands of street miles. Only exception was one of my current RE-71R's needed a LOT of weight and an immediate rebalance to get it right.:)

Sponsored
OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did your 2017 have the Performance Package?

I'm going to go with, "it's your imagination", and you have no experience with lower profile tires on different road surfaces. After reading through your posts about your car, you seem to be obsessively.....obsessive about your car. You've had a plastic thingy on your hand-brake, and a "boot light" issue, which isn't anything out of the ordinary.

EPAS filters out almost all steering wheel vibrations, so I'd ask for a video showing your steering wheel vibrating.
Obsessively obsessive. So many things I’d like to respond with. Alas, I digress...

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My car has been at the dealership all day, and will be there till tomorrow.
I got home and walked through the garage. In doing so I noticed my front right tyre basically melted and left tyre marks on the garage floor.

But, I am apparently obsessively obsessive.
To all those that have shared ideas and possible solutions, thanks.

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Hawaii incident is nothing to laugh at, and certainly not humorous.
Tyre tread from my garage...
IMG_0761.jpg

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I don't think that's the tire being melted. Looks more like there was some tar on it. It takes quite a bit of heat to actually melt a tire to liquid form. Look on the bottom of the tire and see if there's a corresponding flat spot.
Sponsored