Sponsored

Valve Spring Install Question

50racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black/Black GT Premium A10 PP1 Magnaride
So after installing my twin turbos and going through tuning with Lund he said to replace my valve springs to correct exhaust timing being thrown off at higher rpm. So I got a set of PAC 1234X springs and the ST-105 tool to replace them . Now there was another individual on here that has used that tool and I have not been able to get in touch with him. I did my oil pump gear install when I bought the car and have no desire to pull the front of the motor off again and the cams to swap out the springs. The tool can be used with the cams in the car which is why I got it . So I pulled off the drivers side valve cover tonight to start doing it and to gauge the time it will take me. Looking at it I took one of the new springs just to see the room I am dealing with to pull them in and out with camshafts in there and notice that on the bottom exhaust ones at both ends (front one with a green circle) doesn't have near the space as the rest (some in yellow). I couldn't not see a way to fit a spring in that green marked area. Has anyone here used this tool and done a spring replacement while heads and cams are in the car and assembled? If so am I missing something before I start this project. I have no doubt removing the cams it is possible without difficulty, but I prefer to leave it all in tact and just a have a longer project. Thanks.
20190126_013540 - Copy.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

50racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clearly the answer is a resounding no not getting a single response lol. That being said I have relegated myself to having to pull the cams to get the springs replaced. Now the question I am wondering is has anyone used the timing wedge that was used for older SOHC motors to lock the timing chain in place to be able to pull the cam/phasers out to avoid having to remove the front engine cover? Thanks

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BASE (sold)16 LPF 62mm 16 Whipple 15 VMP MT-82
i have done them with cams in. It added 4 hours. Trust me just pull the cams.

OP
OP

50racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you pull the cams out with or without timing cover off?

Manny231988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 2013 GT500
So after installing my twin turbos and going through tuning with Lund he said to replace my valve springs to correct exhaust timing being thrown off at higher rpm. So I got a set of PAC 1234X springs and the ST-105 tool to replace them . Now there was another individual on here that has used that tool and I have not been able to get in touch with him. I did my oil pump gear install when I bought the car and have no desire to pull the front of the motor off again and the cams to swap out the springs. The tool can be used with the cams in the car which is why I got it . So I pulled off the drivers side valve cover tonight to start doing it and to gauge the time it will take me. Looking at it I took one of the new springs just to see the room I am dealing with to pull them in and out with camshafts in there and notice that on the bottom exhaust ones at both ends (front one with a green circle) doesn't have near the space as the rest (some in yellow). I couldn't not see a way to fit a spring in that green marked area. Has anyone here used this tool and done a spring replacement while heads and cams are in the car and assembled? If so am I missing something before I start this project. I have no doubt removing the cams it is possible without difficulty, but I prefer to leave it all in tact and just a have a longer project. Thanks.
20190126_013540 - Copy.jpg
[/QUOTEhow much psiare you running

Sponsored

Manny231988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
how much psi are you running I’m also going trough Lund right now for my Hellion kit

OP
OP

50racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's only 10 right now

OP
OP

50racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could just be i got a weak set of factory springs. There are definately others going higher on stock springs.

Manny231988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haha well I guess we shall see in a couple days when I do my 12 psi logs

Sponsored
OP
OP

50racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah he said my logs are showing cams being out of sync by a few degrees as low as 5300 rpm

Manny231988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just checked my logs and vct are pretty close together maybe differ 1/2 degree sometimes but nothing past dat, you have no codes do you o saw that you mentioned doing the oil pump gears yourself

OP
OP

50racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I did opg and timing gear right after I got the car when I did my procharger. I get a random general misfire code a couple times during my wot log runs never had them with the procharger.

6ixStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 PP1
Did you pull the cams out with or without timing cover off?
Did anyone ever find a timing wedge tool to hold the chain in place? So that way we don’t have to pull front cover off. Is it not possible to wedge the timing chain like older ford motors?

OP
OP

50racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never did. I pulled front cover, timing chains, and cams out to replace the springs.
Sponsored